Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(c) A middle ground between city and country.
(d) Legitimacy as an American.
2. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Conservation and reservations.
(b) Development and expansion.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
3. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No government.
(b) No need for language.
(c) No work.
(d) No disparity between rich and poor.
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Nineteenth century.
(b) Twentieth century.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) With colonization.
5. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By making green spaces.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By conserving.
(d) By building cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
4. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)