|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer interdependent.
(b) They are no longer exclusive.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are both monetized.
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steam locomotive.
(b) The steamship.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The factory.
3. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a railroad whistle.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By an Indian.
(d) By a blue jay.
5. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Yosemite, CA.
(b) Concord, MA.
(c) Providence, RI.
(d) Norfolk, VA.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)