|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Life in the city.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Life in religion.
2. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Morrison's Beloved.
(b) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(c) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(d) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
3. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(b) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
(c) The free market.
(d) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
4. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
5. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As unnatural.
(b) As inevitable.
(c) As natural.
(d) As preventable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coxe foresee for America?
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
3. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
4. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
5. What skill did Twain idealize?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)