|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) Everything was free for the taking.
(b) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(c) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(d) It was unsoiled by civilization.
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(b) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By making green spaces.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By conserving.
(d) By building cities.
4. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
5. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
Short Answer Questions
1. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
2. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
3. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)