|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) The sea captains' log books.
(c) Nautical charts.
(d) The King's records.
3. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
(a) Opposition to expansion.
(b) Filthy cities.
(c) An industrial capacity.
(d) Corrupt government.
4. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
(a) He set out national parks to preserve pastoral spaces.
(b) He thought it would heal industrialism.
(c) He thought it would corrupt America's soul.
(d) He thought it could co-exist with technology.
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(b) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(c) Morrison's Beloved.
(d) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
2. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
3. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
4. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
5. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)