|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
(a) Coxe prophesied that extractive industries would ruin the landscape.
(b) Coxe predicted that industries would leave dead places in the environment when they collapsed.
(c) Coxe thought that factories would blight the landscape.
(d) Coxe thought that America's environment would make the factory a pastoral place.
2. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
(a) An industrial capacity.
(b) Filthy cities.
(c) Opposition to expansion.
(d) Corrupt government.
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Feelings of alienation.
4. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Literature and action.
(b) Poetry and technology.
(c) Nature and civility.
(d) Urbaneness and wilderness.
5. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
(b) Warfare between North and South.
(c) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
(d) Class warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
4. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
5. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)