|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) As an inventory when he was governor.
(b) For leisure.
(c) At a French Diplomat's request.
(d) Upon his travels to Europe.
3. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
(a) Fear about the consequences of the railroad.
(b) Lamentation about the death of Indian cultures.
(c) Nostalgia for the old days on the Mississippi.
(d) Optimism about industrial expansion into the midwest.
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By a railroad whistle.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Regained.
(c) Paradise Lost.
(d) The Iliad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
4. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
5. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)