|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As the grand provider.
(b) As chaotic and disorganized.
(c) As demonic.
(d) As a force to be overcome.
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
(b) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(c) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(d) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Return to the city.
5. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
(b) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(c) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(d) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
4. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)