|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
(a) Seventeenth century.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) At colonization.
(d) Eighteenth century.
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Regulation of speculative investments.
(b) Low taxes.
(c) Farm subsidies.
(d) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
3. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As an improved nature.
(b) As a new nature.
(c) As a raw material.
(d) As a domestic industry.
4. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As inevitable.
(b) As unnatural.
(c) As preventable.
(d) As natural.
5. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
(a) Coxe predicted that industries would leave dead places in the environment when they collapsed.
(b) Coxe prophesied that extractive industries would ruin the landscape.
(c) Coxe thought that America's environment would make the factory a pastoral place.
(d) Coxe thought that factories would blight the landscape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
2. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
3. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
4. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
5. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)