|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(b) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(c) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(d) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
2. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) Paradise Regained.
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Low taxes.
(c) Farm subsidies.
(d) Regulation of speculative investments.
4. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) An industrious, independent farmer.
(b) A virtuous man of nature.
(c) An inventive entrepreneur.
(d) A powerful industrialist.
5. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(a) Cottage industry.
(c) The trades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
3. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
5. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)