|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As a hindrance to progress.
(c) As the path to the future.
(d) As a requirement for a green society.
2. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) Nautical charts.
(b) The King's records.
(c) The settlers' notes and journals.
(d) The sea captains' log books.
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a tropical paradise.
(d) As a land of plenty.
4. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Feeling free of society.
(b) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
(c) Losing familiarity with the whole.
(d) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
5. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Green, rural lifestyle.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Domesticating wild things.
(d) The savages' harmony with nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
3. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
4. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
5. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)