|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Exploitation of resources.
(b) Relocation to the suburbs.
(d) Rail trails.
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As the path to the future.
(b) As a requirement for a green society.
(c) As a harmless fantasy.
(d) As a hindrance to progress.
3. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
(a) Peace with natives.
(b) A frontier to expand into.
(c) Slow pace of technological development.
(d) Absence of foreign threats.
4. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Conservation and reservations.
(b) Development and expansion.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A place of hardship.
(b) A place of redemption.
(c) A source for good in the Old World.
(d) A refuge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
2. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
4. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
5. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)