|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
(a) Machine tools.
(d) Milling machines.
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(b) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(c) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(d) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(b) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(c) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(d) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
4. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
(a) As long as civilization could continue to exploit resources, it could avert class warfare.
(b) After earning money in the factories, a person could buy land out west. Wealth would allow people to take more vacations in national parks. Trains would bring people closer to wild areas from the city. After earning money in the factories, a person could buy land out west.
(c) Trains would bring people closer to wild areas from the city.
(d) Wealth would allow people to take more vacations in national parks.
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(d) Feelings of alienation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
3. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)