|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both reinvented by machines.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
2. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(b) For permanent residence.
(c) For temporary respites.
(d) On weekends.
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) A whale hunt.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) A reverie in the woods.
4. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
(a) A rural ideal.
(b) Powerless men.
(c) A destructive god.
(d) Corrupt men.
5. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
(a) Because the frontier would always be wild.
(b) Because they would tame the vast frontier.
(c) Because there was such sharp competition.
(d) Because industrial capacity provided a survival edge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
2. What did Coxe foresee for America?
3. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
4. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
5. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)