|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(b) For temporary respites.
(c) On weekends.
(d) For permanent residence.
2. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) The end of slavery.
(b) Public transit.
(d) Enclosure laws.
3. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As an industrial enterprise.
(b) As a spiritual calling.
(c) As an art.
(d) As a symbol of society.
4. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(b) Everything was free for the taking.
(c) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(d) It was unsoiled by civilization.
5. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
(a) Progress changes the course of human nature.
(b) Nature ultimately conquered industrial man.
(c) Society's benefits do not outweigh its costs.
(d) Primitive human psychology is inescapable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
2. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
3. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
4. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
5. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)