|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
(a) Creation of a permanently poor underclass.
(b) Loss of nature.
(c) Decline of morals.
(d) Declining value of money.
2. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in literature.
(b) Immersion in nature.
(c) Immersion in science.
(d) Immersion in society.
3. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
4. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
(a) He thought it could co-exist with technology.
(b) He set out national parks to preserve pastoral spaces.
(c) He thought it would heal industrialism.
(d) He thought it would corrupt America's soul.
5. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Urbaneness and wilderness.
(b) Literature and action.
(c) Poetry and technology.
(d) Nature and civility.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
2. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
3. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
4. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
5. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)