|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(a) Cottage industry.
(b) The trades.
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a crime against Indians.
(b) As a destruction of the landscape.
(c) As a form of corruption.
(d) As a form of progress.
4. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
5. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
(a) The east was bringing civilization to the wild west.
(b) The east's factories were a given, but they were balanced by the agrarian west.
(c) The east was producing literature, the west was producing science.
(d) The east's industry was destroying everything as it moved west.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill did Twain idealize?
2. What does Ishmael symbolize, in Marx's interpretation of Moby Dick?
3. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
4. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)