|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban planners.
2. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Urban planning for green spaces.
(c) Withdrawal from modernization.
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(b) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(c) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(d) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
4. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Life in religion.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Return to nature.
5. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(b) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(c) Suppression of religious expression.
(d) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)