|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(b) As barbaric and cruel.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As simple and virtuous.
2. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(b) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
4. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Worker abuses.
(b) Longer lifespans.
(c) Increased literacy.
(d) Decreased infant mortality rates.
5. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
(a) He loathed the railroad.
(b) He used it to his profit.
(c) He lamented the changing structure of society.
(d) He embraced the new power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
2. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
4. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
5. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)