|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(b) That it would never come to America.
(c) That it would become their great strength.
(d) That it would provide them cheap power.
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a refuge from Europe.
(b) As a land of plenty.
(c) As a tropical paradise.
(d) As a harsh land.
3. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(c) The trades.
(d) Cottage industry.
4. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For permanent residence.
(b) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(c) For temporary respites.
(d) On weekends.
5. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Low taxes.
(c) Regulation of speculative investments.
(d) Farm subsidies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
2. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
3. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
4. How did Melville describe whaling?
5. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)