|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
2. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) Storms and primitive land.
(c) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
(d) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) The Celestial Railroad.
(b) The Marble Faun.
(c) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(d) Mosses from an Old Manse.
4. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Industrial Revolution.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) At colonization.
(d) At the Revolution.
5. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No need for language.
(b) No government.
(c) No disparity between rich and poor.
(d) No work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
2. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
3. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
4. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)