|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Power, productivity, and order.
(d) Efficiency, control, and profit.
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
4. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to India.
(b) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(c) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
5. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
(a) To kill the white whale.
(b) To reconcile nature and society.
(c) To save the ship.
(d) To restrain Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
2. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
3. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
4. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)