|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Rejection of industry.
(b) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(c) Domestication of nature.
(d) Urbanization of nature.
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Thoreau's Walden.
(b) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(c) Norris' The Octopus.
(d) James' Daisy Miller.
3. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a desert.
(b) As a promised land.
(c) As a pestilential swamp.
(d) As a purgatory.
4. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Spiritual degradation.
(b) Elemental nature.
(d) Modern society.
5. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His spirit.
(c) None of him.
(d) His mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
3. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
5. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)