|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Worker abuses.
(b) Longer lifespans.
(c) Decreased infant mortality rates.
(d) Increased literacy.
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both monetized.
(b) They are no longer exclusive.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are no longer interdependent.
4. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) John Orvis.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For permanent residence.
(b) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(c) On weekends.
(d) For temporary respites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
2. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
4. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)