|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
(a) Milling machines.
(b) Machine tools.
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Harnessing natural resources.
(b) Domesticating wild things.
(c) The savages' harmony with nature.
(d) Green, rural lifestyle.
4. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Return to childhood.
(d) Return to home.
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Power, productivity, and order.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Fire, smoke and speed.
(d) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
2. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What skill did Twain idealize?
4. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
5. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)