|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) The railroad.
(b) The cotton gin.
(c) Standardized parts.
(d) Machine tools.
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a blue jay.
(c) By a railroad whistle.
(d) By a merchant.
4. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
(b) The free market.
(c) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(d) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
5. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Revolution.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) At the Industrial Revolution.
(d) At colonization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
2. What does Ishmael symbolize, in Marx's interpretation of Moby Dick?
3. How did Melville describe whaling?
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
5. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)