|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in nature.
(b) Immersion in literature.
(c) Immersion in society.
(d) Immersion in science.
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As the path to the future.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As a requirement for a green society.
4. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a destruction of the landscape.
(b) As a form of progress.
(c) As a crime against Indians.
(d) As a form of corruption.
5. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) The end of slavery.
(b) Public transit.
(c) Enclosure laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
3. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
4. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
5. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)