Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
2. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Destroy the traditions.
(b) Terrify the livestock.
(c) Corrupt the youth.
(d) Unify the people.
3. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in science.
(b) Immersion in literature.
(c) Immersion in society.
(d) Immersion in nature.
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Feelings of alienation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
2. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)