|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Arthur not mention as one of the things that he cannot grant as a boon to Culhwch?
2. Which of the following does Peredur not encounter in the quest of the Black Worm of the Barrow?
3. Who hits Ysbaddaden in the knee with one of the giant's poisoned spears?
4. Who helps Peredur take the dead knight's armour off?
5. What colour is Gereint's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Llud and Llefelys prevent the Coranieid overhearing the plans to destroy them?
2. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
3. How do Cei and Gwrhyr find Mabon Son of Modron?
4. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
5. Who teaches Peredur in the ways of knighthood?
6. Why do Arthur's men stop him from attacking the Black Witch?
7. What do the Arthurian figures Rhonabwy meets in his dream say about Rhonabwy's looks?
8. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
9. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
10. Why does the lion choose to follow Owein?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How do the earlier oral tales differ from the later romances? Your answer could consider features such as narrative style, setting and plot, as well as other features. Use at least two romances and two oral tales as examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)