|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Rhonabwy dream for?
2. Where do Llud and Llefelys meet to discuss the plagues?
3. What is the name of the woman who Culhwch was destined to take as wife?
4. Which of the following does not take part in the storytelling in Arthur's court?
5. What did Cynon see the two blond curly-haired youths doing in the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
2. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
3. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
4. How do Cei and Gwrhyr find Mabon Son of Modron?
5. Why does Gereint decide to marry Enid?
6. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
7. How is Owein healed after his madness?
8. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
9. How do Llud and Llefelys prevent the Coranieid overhearing the plans to destroy them?
10. Why does Gereint decide to follow the knight and the dwarf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
Essay Topic 2
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Several of the tales in The Mabinogion seem to have the transition from boyhood to manhood as their theme. Choose two of the tales below and for each, describe the attributes that the main character must gain in order to prove that he is a man, and how he obtains these. Choose from:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) "Math son of Mathonwy"
(c) "Peredur son of Efrawg"
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)