|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common response of both Owein and Arthur when the messengers bring them news about the battle between the men and the ravens?
2. Which of the following is not used to make the goblets given to the Empress in the pavilion?
3. What is unusual about the knight seen by Gwenhwyfar and Gereint?
4. How does Lludd keep himself awake while he keeps watch over the hall at night?
5. Where does Owein end up living with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
2. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
3. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
4. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
5. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
6. How do Llud and Llefelys prevent the Coranieid overhearing the plans to destroy them?
7. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
8. Why does Gereint decide to follow the knight and the dwarf?
9. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
10. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)