|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do the party of soldiers not see on the floor of the old hall?
2. What is the name of the woman who Culhwch was destined to take as wife?
3. What is on the banner topping the white pavilion that the first messenger to Arthur and Owein?
4. How many times has the knight Gereint followed won the sparrowhawk?
5. Which of the following tasks does Enid not perform when Gereint spends the night in her father's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
2. Why does Gereint decide to follow the knight and the dwarf?
3. Where do Owein and Arthur play their games of gwyddbwyll?
4. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
5. Why do Arthur's men stop him from attacking the Black Witch?
6. Why does Glewlwyd Mighty-Grasp recommend that Culhwch should be admitted to Arthur's court?
7. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
8. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
9. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
10. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of the magician Gwydion in "Math son of Mathonwy" and describe him in detail. State whether this character is more a negative character or a positive character, or neutral, using quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the character of King Arthur changes over time. Your answer should describe how he is portrayed in:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) the three romances ("The Lady of the Fountain", "Peredur son of Efrawg" and "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) "The Dream of Rhonabwy".
Essay Topic 3
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)