|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following countries does not have a representative at the council where a truce is asked for?
2. What is the name of the woman who Culhwch was destined to take as wife?
3. What colour is Gereint's hair?
4. How does Cynon return back to Arthur's court after the black knight takes his horse?
5. Which of the following does not take part in the storytelling in Arthur's court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
2. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
3. How do Cei and Gwrhyr find Mabon Son of Modron?
4. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
5. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
6. Where do Owein and Arthur play their games of gwyddbwyll?
7. How is Owein healed after his madness?
8. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
9. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
10. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the earlier oral tales differ from the later romances? Your answer could consider features such as narrative style, setting and plot, as well as other features. Use at least two romances and two oral tales as examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of the magician Gwydion in "Math son of Mathonwy" and describe him in detail. State whether this character is more a negative character or a positive character, or neutral, using quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)