|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation is the Lame King to Peredur?
2. How does Cynon return back to Arthur's court after the black knight takes his horse?
3. What guards the path to the houses in the wild craggy valley visited by Peredur after his pledge to Angharad Golden-Hand?
4. What relation is Culhwch to Arthur?
5. What color is the hair of the Ragged Maiden who offers herself as Peredur's paramour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
2. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
3. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
4. How do Cei and Gwrhyr find Mabon Son of Modron?
5. Why does Gereint decide to follow the knight and the dwarf?
6. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
7. How is Owein healed after his madness?
8. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
9. Why does Glewlwyd Mighty-Grasp recommend that Culhwch should be admitted to Arthur's court?
10. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
Essay Topic 3
Several of the tales in The Mabinogion seem to have the transition from boyhood to manhood as their theme. Choose two of the tales below and for each, describe the attributes that the main character must gain in order to prove that he is a man, and how he obtains these. Choose from:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) "Math son of Mathonwy"
(c) "Peredur son of Efrawg"
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)