|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Peredur able to mend the sword after cutting through the column?
2. What is unusual about the knight seen by Gwenhwyfar and Gereint?
3. Where does Llefelys go to get a wife?
4. What prevents Llud and Llefelys talking to each other?
5. How does Cynon return back to Arthur's court after the black knight takes his horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
2. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
3. Why does Gereint decide to marry Enid?
4. Who teaches Peredur in the ways of knighthood?
5. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
6. Why do Arthur's men stop him from attacking the Black Witch?
7. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
8. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
9. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
10. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
Essay Topic 3
Several of the tales in The Mabinogion seem to have the transition from boyhood to manhood as their theme. Choose two of the tales below and for each, describe the attributes that the main character must gain in order to prove that he is a man, and how he obtains these. Choose from:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) "Math son of Mathonwy"
(c) "Peredur son of Efrawg"
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)