|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lion bring to Owein to prove its loyalty to him?
2. What happens to the man who was stealing the food from the king's court?
3. Which of the following does the original writer not give as one of the things that makes this tale nearly impossible to learn by heart?
4. How does Lludd keep himself awake while he keeps watch over the hall at night?
5. Where do Llud and Llefelys meet to discuss the plagues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gereint decide to marry Enid?
2. Why does Glewlwyd Mighty-Grasp recommend that Culhwch should be admitted to Arthur's court?
3. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
4. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
5. Who teaches Peredur in the ways of knighthood?
6. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
7. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
8. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
9. How do Cei and Gwrhyr find Mabon Son of Modron?
10. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
Essay Topic 2
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Essay Topic 3
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)