|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animals is not consulted by Cei and Bedwyr?
2. How many maidens does Cynon see in the castle?
3. What causes the scream?
4. What colors are worn by the horse and rider who first meets Rhonabwy?
5. What is on the helmet of the messenger who tells Arthur that Owein's ravens have killed the young men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Owein and Arthur play their games of gwyddbwyll?
2. How do Llud and Llefelys prevent the Coranieid overhearing the plans to destroy them?
3. Why does the lion choose to follow Owein?
4. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
5. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
6. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
7. Why does Gereint decide to follow the knight and the dwarf?
8. Why does Glewlwyd Mighty-Grasp recommend that Culhwch should be admitted to Arthur's court?
9. Why does Gereint decide to marry Enid?
10. How is Owein healed after his madness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
Essay Topic 2
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Essay Topic 3
Examine the stories that follow the folk-tale motif of the Ill-treated Wife. For each, explain why the woman in question receives ill treatment, what she does about the treatment and how her story is resolved. Your answer should deal with the stories of the following women:
(a) Branwen (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Rhiannon (Pwyll Prince of Dyfed)
(c) Enid (Gereint son of Erbin)
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)