|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cynon return back to Arthur's court after the black knight takes his horse?
2. How does Lludd keep himself awake while he keeps watch over the hall at night?
3. What is the name of Arthur's bishop?
4. What is on the helmet of the messenger who tells Arthur that Owein's ravens have killed the young men?
5. How many times has the knight Gereint followed won the sparrowhawk?
Essay Topic 1
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the relationship between Gereint and Enid changes over time. What conflicts do they have and how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)