|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Gereint not find in the orchards in the mists?
2. Which of the following does Arthur not mention as one of the things that he cannot grant as a boon to Culhwch?
3. Which of the following is not promised to Culhwch by the porter if he stays in the guest house?
4. What is unusual about the knight seen by Gwenhwyfar and Gereint?
5. What prevents Llud and Llefelys talking to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the relationship between Gereint and Enid changes over time. What conflicts do they have and how are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)