|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the plagues?
2. Why can't the Coranieid be destroyed?
3. Which of the following countries does not have a representative at the council where a truce is asked for?
4. How many bards sing the praises of Arthur?
5. Which of the following well-known Arthurian characters is not invoked by Culhwch when he asks his boon from Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Arthur's men stop him from attacking the Black Witch?
2. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
3. Who teaches Peredur in the ways of knighthood?
4. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
5. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
6. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
7. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
8. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
9. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
10. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 2
Examine the three romances and using material in these, describe what a "typical" (idealised Arthurian) knight is like regarding behaviour, habits, appearance and abilities.
Essay Topic 3
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)