|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the man who was stealing the food from the king's court?
2. What does Gereint do to challenge the knight in the mist to fight?
3. What is on the banner topping the white pavilion that the first messenger to Arthur and Owein?
4. Which of the following is not promised to Culhwch by the porter if he stays in the guest house?
5. Which of the following does Peredur not encounter in the quest of the Black Worm of the Barrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
2. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
3. How do Llud and Llefelys prevent the Coranieid overhearing the plans to destroy them?
4. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
5. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
6. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
7. Why do Arthur's men stop him from attacking the Black Witch?
8. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
9. How do Cei and Gwrhyr find Mabon Son of Modron?
10. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Essay Topic 2
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)