|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not given as a name for London?
2. Which of the following does Gereint not find in the orchards in the mists?
3. Which of the following countries does not have a representative at the council where a truce is asked for?
4. Which of the following does not take part in the storytelling in Arthur's court?
5. How many knights in total does Gereint defeat before coming to the Dun Earl's dominions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gereint decide to marry Enid?
2. What do the Arthurian figures Rhonabwy meets in his dream say about Rhonabwy's looks?
3. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
4. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
5. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
6. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
7. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
8. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
9. Who teaches Peredur in the ways of knighthood?
10. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the three romances and using material in these, describe what a "typical" (idealised Arthurian) knight is like regarding behaviour, habits, appearance and abilities.
Essay Topic 2
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the stories that follow the folk-tale motif of the Ill-treated Wife. For each, explain why the woman in question receives ill treatment, what she does about the treatment and how her story is resolved. Your answer should deal with the stories of the following women:
(a) Branwen (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Rhiannon (Pwyll Prince of Dyfed)
(c) Enid (Gereint son of Erbin)
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)