|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gereint do to challenge the knight in the mist to fight?
2. What does the lion bring to Owein to prove its loyalty to him?
3. Where do Arthur's warband first find Twrch Trwyth?
4. What is the ultimate fate of the Black Oppressor?
5. Which of the following does Gereint not find in the orchards in the mists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
2. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
3. What do the Arthurian figures Rhonabwy meets in his dream say about Rhonabwy's looks?
4. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
5. Why does Llefelys travel to France?
6. Where do Owein and Arthur play their games of gwyddbwyll?
7. Why does the lion choose to follow Owein?
8. How do Llud and Llefelys prevent the Coranieid overhearing the plans to destroy them?
9. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
10. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the character of King Arthur changes over time. Your answer should describe how he is portrayed in:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) the three romances ("The Lady of the Fountain", "Peredur son of Efrawg" and "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) "The Dream of Rhonabwy".
Essay Topic 2
"The Dream of Rhonabwy" contains a contrast between Arthurian days and "modern life" (from the perspective of the author, i.e. Medieval life). Describe and evaluate this contrast. Your answer should be structured as follows:
(1) Describe the Arthurian setting in the tale
(2) Describe the "real world' in the tale
(3) Decide which setting is more exaggerated and what you believe the author was attempting to say through the contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)