|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that happens when someone pours water on the marble slab?
2. What colour is Gereint's hair?
3. Which of the following is not used to make the goblets given to the Empress in the pavilion?
4. What did Cynon see the two blond curly-haired youths doing in the castle?
5. Which of the following does Arthur not mention as one of the things that he cannot grant as a boon to Culhwch?
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
Essay Topic 2
The motif of the magical food vessel seems to be an important one in Celtic mythology and in The Mabinogion. Choose three examples of these magical food vessels presented in the text and describe each in detail. Along with your description, explain the role that the vessel plays in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Cei as he appears in the earlier tales and as he appears in the later romances, and describe how the portrayal of this character has changed over time. Use quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)