|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Gwydion and his men disguise themselves at to visit the court of Pryderi?
2. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
3. How long was Llasar Llaes Gyfnewid's wife pregnant for?
4. What sort of tree does Lleu Llaw Gyffes perch in when in his eagle form?
5. Which of the following places do the survivors not spend time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
2. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
3. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
4. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
5. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
6. What period in history were the later tales in "The Mabinogion" written down in?
7. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
8. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
9. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
10. Why does Cigfa become so fearful after Rhiannon and Pryderi vanish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 3
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)