Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
2. What is the bridge onto the ship in Macsen's dream made out of?
3. What is the name of the cantref ruled over by Lleu Llaw Gyffes before his betrayal by Blodeuedd and Gronwr?
4. How many years did the four spend living in the wilds before moving to Lloegyr?
5. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
2. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
3. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
4. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
5. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
6. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
7. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
8. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
9. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
10. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
Essay Topic 1
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 3
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)