|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the mice come to steal Manawydan's grain?
2. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
3. What color hair does the maiden have when Macsen sees her in the dream?
4. What is the name of the cantref ruled over by Lleu Llaw Gyffes before his betrayal by Blodeuedd and Gronwr?
5. How many Welsh people survive the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
2. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
3. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
4. How does Lleu Llaw Gyffes get his name?
5. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
6. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
7. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
8. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
9. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
10. Why does Aranrhod treat Lleu Llaw Gyffes so spitefully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the relationship between Gereint and Enid changes over time. What conflicts do they have and how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)