|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tale is the earliest contained in THE MABINOGION?
2. Which of the following is not one of the survivors?
3. How many tales appear in THE MABINOGION?
4. How long does Pwyll spend in the Otherworld?
5. Why was Manawydan able to catch Llwyd's wife in mouse form?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
2. What happens when the door facing Cornwall is opened?
3. Why does Aranrhod treat Lleu Llaw Gyffes so spitefully?
4. What does Macsen see in his dream beside the river?
5. How does Pwyll win Rhiannon back from Gwawl?
6. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
7. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
8. Why does Teyrnon decide to take Gwri to the court of Pwyll?
9. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
10. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 3
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)