|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Lleu Llaw Gyffes use to kill Gronwr?
2. What colour were the saddles made by Manawydan and Pryderi?
3. Who is the first person to try to rescue Pryderi from the caer?
4. Where did Manawydan go to offer homage to Caswallawn?
5. How many children does Aranrhod give birth to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Branwen after the battle?
2. What is unusual about Rhiannon's horse as the messengers try to catch her?
3. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
4. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
5. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
6. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
7. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
8. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
9. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
10. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the stories that follow the folk-tale motif of the Ill-treated Wife. For each, explain why the woman in question receives ill treatment, what she does about the treatment and how her story is resolved. Your answer should deal with the stories of the following women:
(a) Branwen (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Rhiannon (Pwyll Prince of Dyfed)
(c) Enid (Gereint son of Erbin)
Essay Topic 2
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
Essay Topic 3
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)