Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
2. What is the bridge onto the ship in Macsen's dream made out of?
3. What is the name of the cantref ruled over by Lleu Llaw Gyffes before his betrayal by Blodeuedd and Gronwr?
4. How many years did the four spend living in the wilds before moving to Lloegyr?
5. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
2. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
3. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
4. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
5. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
6. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
7. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
8. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
9. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
10. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)