|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
2. What animal does Pwyll say that he has trapped in the bag?
3. Where is Macsen when he receives the message that inspires him to return to Rome?
4. In total, how many years do the survivors spend in feasting before they bury the head?
5. How many riders approach Pwyll after he had driven the strange pack from the dead stag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
2. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
3. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
4. Why does Gwydion suggest obtaining pigs from Pryderi?
5. How do Bendigeidfran and his brothers know that the Irish ships are coming in peace?
6. What are onomastic tales?
7. What is unusual about Rhiannon's horse as the messengers try to catch her?
8. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
9. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
10. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The motif of the magical food vessel seems to be an important one in Celtic mythology and in The Mabinogion. Choose three examples of these magical food vessels presented in the text and describe each in detail. Along with your description, explain the role that the vessel plays in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the character of King Arthur changes over time. Your answer should describe how he is portrayed in:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) the three romances ("The Lady of the Fountain", "Peredur son of Efrawg" and "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) "The Dream of Rhonabwy".
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)