|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cantrefs does Pryderi not rule over?
2. How long does Macsen Wledig spend in Britain with Elen?
3. What crop does Manawydan plant?
4. Which of the following was not originally a medieval courtly romance?
5. Where is the dream-castle located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
2. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
3. Why does Gwydion suggest obtaining pigs from Pryderi?
4. What do the Irish hide within the hall built for Bendigeidfran and why?
5. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
6. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
7. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
8. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
9. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
10. Why does Aranrhod treat Lleu Llaw Gyffes so spitefully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many claim that Celtic society assigned a high status to women. Bearing in mind that The Mabinogion is considered to be a very important collection of Celtic legend, do the tales in The Mabinogion support this view? Use examples from at least three tales to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the stories that follow the folk-tale motif of the Ill-treated Wife. For each, explain why the woman in question receives ill treatment, what she does about the treatment and how her story is resolved. Your answer should deal with the stories of the following women:
(a) Branwen (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Rhiannon (Pwyll Prince of Dyfed)
(c) Enid (Gereint son of Erbin)
Essay Topic 3
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)