Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
2. What is the bridge onto the ship in Macsen's dream made out of?
3. What is the name of the cantref ruled over by Lleu Llaw Gyffes before his betrayal by Blodeuedd and Gronwr?
4. How many years did the four spend living in the wilds before moving to Lloegyr?
5. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
2. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
3. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
4. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
5. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
6. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
7. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
8. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
9. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
10. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
Essay Topic 1
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Many claim that Celtic society assigned a high status to women. Bearing in mind that The Mabinogion is considered to be a very important collection of Celtic legend, do the tales in The Mabinogion support this view? Use examples from at least three tales to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of the magician Gwydion in "Math son of Mathonwy" and describe him in detail. State whether this character is more a negative character or a positive character, or neutral, using quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)