|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
2. What crop does Manawydan plant?
3. How long does Pwyll spend in the Otherworld?
4. Which country do these tales originate in?
5. How long does it take Elen's brothers to conquer the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Math and Gwydion find Lleu Llaw Gyffes after Gronwr shoots him?
2. What period in history were the later tales in "The Mabinogion" written down in?
3. What happens to Branwen after the battle?
4. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
5. What does Macsen see in his dream beside the river?
6. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
7. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
8. What do the Irish hide within the hall built for Bendigeidfran and why?
9. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
10. Why do the serving women decide to accuse Rhiannon of murdering her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the earlier oral tales differ from the later romances? Your answer could consider features such as narrative style, setting and plot, as well as other features. Use at least two romances and two oral tales as examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
Essay Topic 3
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)