|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
2. What is the bridge onto the ship in Macsen's dream made out of?
3. What is the name of the cantref ruled over by Lleu Llaw Gyffes before his betrayal by Blodeuedd and Gronwr?
4. How many years did the four spend living in the wilds before moving to Lloegyr?
5. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
2. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
3. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
4. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
5. Why is Cei angry at the two dwarfs?
6. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
7. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
8. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
9. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
10. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
Essay Topic 1
The Mabinogion contains numerous examples of onomastic tales. Choose three places from the list below and for each, explain the following:
(1) How, according to the tale they appear in, the place earned its name
(2) How important the incident is in the plot of the tale in which it appears.
(a) Talebolion (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Llydaw (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(c) Caer Fyrddin (The Dream of Macsen Wledig)
(d) Creuwyron (Math son of Mathonwy)
(e) Caer Llud (Llud and Llefelys)
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Cei as he appears in the earlier tales and as he appears in the later romances, and describe how the portrayal of this character has changed over time. Use quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)