|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following places do the survivors not spend time?
2. Who decides on Blodeuedd's punishment?
3. Which of the following is not one of the survivors?
4. What weapon does Lleu Llaw Gyffes use to kill Gronwr?
5. What is the name of the king that Pwyll must face in single combat in the Otherworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
2. Why does Cigfa become so fearful after Rhiannon and Pryderi vanish?
3. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
4. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
5. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
6. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
7. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
8. What period in history were the later tales in "The Mabinogion" written down in?
9. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
10. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the relationship between Gereint and Enid changes over time. What conflicts do they have and how are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Essay Topic 3
Several of the tales in The Mabinogion seem to have the transition from boyhood to manhood as their theme. Choose two of the tales below and for each, describe the attributes that the main character must gain in order to prove that he is a man, and how he obtains these. Choose from:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) "Math son of Mathonwy"
(c) "Peredur son of Efrawg"
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)