|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the dream-castle located?
2. Which of the following cantrefs does Pryderi not rule over?
3. What breed of bird did Branwen train to carry a message?
4. How long does Rhiannon have to serve her penance?
5. Where did Manawydan go to offer homage to Caswallawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
2. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
3. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
4. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
5. Why does Teyrnon decide to take Gwri to the court of Pwyll?
6. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
7. How does Lleu Llaw Gyffes get his name?
8. How does Pwyll win Rhiannon back from Gwawl?
9. Why does Cynon first approach the Hideous Herdsman?
10. What period in history were the later tales in "<i>The Mabinogion</i>" written down in?
Essay Topic 1
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the character of King Arthur changes over time. Your answer should describe how he is portrayed in:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) the three romances ("The Lady of the Fountain", "Peredur son of Efrawg" and "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) "The Dream of Rhonabwy".
Essay Topic 3
Examine the three romances and using material in these, describe what a "typical" (idealised Arthurian) knight is like regarding behaviour, habits, appearance and abilities.
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)