|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of bird did Branwen train to carry a message?
2. Which of the following was not originally a medieval courtly romance?
3. What animal is killed in order to frame Rhiannon for the murder of her son?
4. Which of the following animals are Gilfaethwy and Gwydion not transformed into?
5. What bird is Blodeuedd transformed into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
2. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
3. Why do the serving women decide to accuse Rhiannon of murdering her son?
4. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
5. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
6. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
7. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
8. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
9. Why does Gwydion suggest obtaining pigs from Pryderi?
10. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Cei as he appears in the earlier tales and as he appears in the later romances, and describe how the portrayal of this character has changed over time. Use quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many claim that Celtic society assigned a high status to women. Bearing in mind that The Mabinogion is considered to be a very important collection of Celtic legend, do the tales in The Mabinogion support this view? Use examples from at least three tales to support your answer.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)