|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides on Blodeuedd's punishment?
2. What relation is Gwydion to Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
3. How long does Macsen Wledig spend in Britain with Elen?
4. What is Macsen Wledig doing when he falls asleep and has his dream?
5. How many people does Macsen Wledig see in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
2. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
3. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
4. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
5. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
6. Why does Gwydion suggest obtaining pigs from Pryderi?
7. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
8. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
9. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
10. What do the Irish hide within the hall built for Bendigeidfran and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Cei as he appears in the earlier tales and as he appears in the later romances, and describe how the portrayal of this character has changed over time. Use quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)