|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
2. What colour were the saddles made by Manawydan and Pryderi?
3. How much does the priest offer for the release of the mouse?
4. Which of the following is not one of the sons of Llyr?
5. Who translated THE MABINOGION?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Teyrnon decide to take Gwri to the court of Pwyll?
2. Was the name "<i>The Mabinogion</i>" originally given to this collection of tales?
3. How does Enid travel to Arthur's court?
4. What convinces Gereint that Enid is loyal to him?
5. How does Llud deal with the plague of the scream?
6. Why does Peredur's mother raise him in seclusion?
7. How do Math and Gwydion find Lleu Llaw Gyffes after Gronwr shoots him?
8. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
9. What do the Arthurian figures Rhonabwy meets in his dream say about Rhonabwy's looks?
10. What happens to Branwen after the battle?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Cei as he appears in the earlier tales and as he appears in the later romances, and describe how the portrayal of this character has changed over time. Use quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative style of the tales in The Mabinogion differ from modern narrative styles? Choose at least two examples of narrative and analyse their style, including aspects such as vocabulary, level of detail and use of sensory imagery, comparing these to a modern passage of narrative of your choice. One of the passages you choose from The Mabinogion should be from the later tales (the three romances, The Dream of Macsen Wledig and The Dream of Rhonabwy) and should be from the earlier oral tales.
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)