|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning given for the place-name Llydaw and explained by the onomastic tale?
2. When were the tales written down?
3. Which of the following is not one of the strongholds built by Elen?
4. How many pigs does Gwydion get in exchange from Pryderi for the magical horses and greyhounds
5. Where did Manawydan go to offer homage to Caswallawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aranrhod treat Lleu Llaw Gyffes so spitefully?
2. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
3. How do Math and Gwydion find Lleu Llaw Gyffes after Gronwr shoots him?
4. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
5. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
6. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
7. What happens when the door facing Cornwall is opened?
8. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
9. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
10. Why do the serving women decide to accuse Rhiannon of murdering her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the three romances and using material in these, describe what a "typical" (idealised Arthurian) knight is like regarding behaviour, habits, appearance and abilities.
Essay Topic 2
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
Essay Topic 3
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)