|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Efnisien not to do the horses?
2. What do the Irish swineherds mistake Bendigeidfran for as he crosses the ocean?
3. Which of the following is not part of the situation where Lleu Llaw Gyffes can be killed?
4. What is the name of the king that Pwyll must face in single combat in the Otherworld?
5. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cigfa become so fearful after Rhiannon and Pryderi vanish?
2. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
3. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
4. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
5. How does Lleu Llaw Gyffes get his name?
6. Why does Teyrnon decide to take Gwri to the court of Pwyll?
7. How does Pwyll win Rhiannon back from Gwawl?
8. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
9. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
10. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Cei as he appears in the earlier tales and as he appears in the later romances, and describe how the portrayal of this character has changed over time. Use quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the relationship between Gereint and Enid changes over time. What conflicts do they have and how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)