|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird is Blodeuedd transformed into?
2. How many messengers set out on the journey indicated by Macsen's dream?
3. Which of the following is not one of the survivors?
4. What is the name of Pryderi's wife?
5. What crop does Manawydan plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
2. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
3. What happens to Branwen after the battle?
4. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
5. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
6. What is unusual about Rhiannon's horse as the messengers try to catch her?
7. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
8. How do Math and Gwydion find Lleu Llaw Gyffes after Gronwr shoots him?
9. How does Pwyll win Rhiannon back from Gwawl?
10. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the relationship between Gereint and Enid changes over time. What conflicts do they have and how are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
How do the earlier oral tales differ from the later romances? Your answer could consider features such as narrative style, setting and plot, as well as other features. Use at least two romances and two oral tales as examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the stories that follow the folk-tale motif of the Ill-treated Wife. For each, explain why the woman in question receives ill treatment, what she does about the treatment and how her story is resolved. Your answer should deal with the stories of the following women:
(a) Branwen (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Rhiannon (Pwyll Prince of Dyfed)
(c) Enid (Gereint son of Erbin)
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)