|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Welsh people survive the battle?
2. How long was Llasar Llaes Gyfnewid's wife pregnant for?
3. Which of the following does Gwydion not use at some stage during the tale to create his illusions?
4. Who is the first person to try to rescue Pryderi from the caer?
5. What animal is killed in order to frame Rhiannon for the murder of her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
2. Where does Culhwch first see Olwen?
3. Why does Rhonabwy set out on a journey?
4. What does the empress give to Peredur that helps him kill the Addanc?
5. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
6. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
7. What happens when the door facing Cornwall is opened?
8. Was the name "<i>The Mabinogion</i>" originally given to this collection of tales?
9. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
10. Why and how does Luned rescue Owein?
Essay Topic 1
Several of the tales in The Mabinogion seem to have the transition from boyhood to manhood as their theme. Choose two of the tales below and for each, describe the attributes that the main character must gain in order to prove that he is a man, and how he obtains these. Choose from:
(a) "Culhwch and Olwen"
(b) "Math son of Mathonwy"
(c) "Peredur son of Efrawg"
Essay Topic 2
How do the earlier oral tales differ from the later romances? Your answer could consider features such as narrative style, setting and plot, as well as other features. Use at least two romances and two oral tales as examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)