|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the strongholds built by Elen?
2. Which of the following does Gwydion not use at some stage during the tale to create his illusions?
3. How many warriors were hidden in great house built for Bendigeidfran?
4. Why does Efnisien grow angry during the feast?
5. What town was Pwyll and Rhiannon's son born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
2. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
3. What does Macsen see in his dream beside the river?
4. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
5. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
6. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
7. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
8. Why does Gwydion suggest obtaining pigs from Pryderi?
9. What happens to Branwen after the battle?
10. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the three romances and using material in these, describe what a "typical" (idealised Arthurian) knight is like regarding behaviour, habits, appearance and abilities.
Essay Topic 2
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of the magician Gwydion in "Math son of Mathonwy" and describe him in detail. State whether this character is more a negative character or a positive character, or neutral, using quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)