|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did the four spend living in the wilds before moving to Lloegyr?
2. How long does it take Elen's brothers to conquer the city?
3. How many messengers set out on the journey indicated by Macsen's dream?
4. Which of the following does Gwydion not use at some stage during the tale to create his illusions?
5. How long was Llasar Llaes Gyfnewid's wife pregnant for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
2. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
3. Why does Aranrhod treat Lleu Llaw Gyffes so spitefully?
4. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
5. What does Macsen see in his dream beside the river?
6. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
7. Why do the serving women decide to accuse Rhiannon of murdering her son?
8. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
9. How do Bendigeidfran and his brothers know that the Irish ships are coming in peace?
10. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Animals often seem to play a magical role in some of the tales of The Mabinogion. Choose three animals from the list below and describe some examples of how they are used the tales. Your answer should also state how the animals seem to affect the events of the plot. Choose from:
(a) pigs or boars
Essay Topic 2
Examine the stories that follow the folk-tale motif of the Ill-treated Wife. For each, explain why the woman in question receives ill treatment, what she does about the treatment and how her story is resolved. Your answer should deal with the stories of the following women:
(a) Branwen (Branwen daughter of Llyr)
(b) Rhiannon (Pwyll Prince of Dyfed)
(c) Enid (Gereint son of Erbin)
Essay Topic 3
How is magic or the fantasy element used in the tales in The Mabinogion? To answer this, your answer should include the following:
1 Choose the tale that has the highest level of fantasy/magic in its plot and describe it in detail.
2 Choose the tale that has the least amount of fantasy/magic in its plot and also describe it in detail.
3 Describe the differences and similarities between the two tales you have chosen in regards to how magic is used.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)