|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the warriors brought back to life by the Cauldron of Rebirth?
2. Which of the following places are not seen by Macsen's messengers in the Island of Britain?
3. Which of the following does Pryderi not find inside the caer?
4. Who invented the word "Mabinogion"?
5. Which of the following places do the survivors not spend time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the earliest?
2. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
3. How does Pwyll win Rhiannon back from Gwawl?
4. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
5. What are onomastic tales?
6. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
7. How does Lleu Llaw Gyffes get his name?
8. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
9. Why does Gwydion suggest obtaining pigs from Pryderi?
10. Why does Cigfa become so fearful after Rhiannon and Pryderi vanish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the women who play a significant role in the tales, and compare and contrast their characters. Which of the two is the stronger heroine? Chose from:
(a) Elen of the Hosts (in "The Dream of Macsen Wledig")
(b) Enid (in "Gereint son of Erbin")
(c) Branwen (from "Branwen daughter of Llyr")
(d) Rhiannon (from "Pwyll Prince of Dyfed and "Manawydan son of Llyr")
(e) Aranrhod (from "Math son of Mathonwy")
Essay Topic 2
"The Dream of Rhonabwy" contains a contrast between Arthurian days and "modern life" (from the perspective of the author, i.e. Medieval life). Describe and evaluate this contrast. Your answer should be structured as follows:
(1) Describe the Arthurian setting in the tale
(2) Describe the "real world' in the tale
(3) Decide which setting is more exaggerated and what you believe the author was attempting to say through the contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Family relationships seem to play an important role in the tales in The Mabinogion. Choose three of the family groups below and describe the relationship that exists between them in detail. For each, state how the relationship helps progress the plot of the tale. Choose from:
(a) Culhwch and Arthur
(b) Pryderi and Manawydan
(c) Branwen, Bendigeidfran and Efnisien
(d) Gwydion, Aranrhod and Lleu Llaw Gyffes
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)