|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of tree does Lleu Llaw Gyffes perch in when in his eagle form?
2. How much does the priest offer for the release of the mouse?
3. How many kings are with Macsen Wledig when he has his dream?
4. Which of the brothers settles permanently in Llydaw?
5. What language was The Mabinogion originally written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is given to Matholwch and the other Irishmen in compensation for the mutilated horses?
2. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
3. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
4. Why do the serving women decide to accuse Rhiannon of murdering her son?
5. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
6. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
7. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
8. What conditions does Manawydan demand in exchange for the freedom of the mouse?
9. What does Macsen see in his dream beside the river?
10. Why does Efnisien mutilate the Irish horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the three romances and using material in these, describe what a "typical" (idealised Arthurian) knight is like regarding behaviour, habits, appearance and abilities.
Essay Topic 2
The Mabinogion often sets the plot events in places that the listeners would have been familiar with. Choose three of the real-world places below and for each, state which tale or tales that the place is mentioned in and the most significant events to take place there. Choose from:
(a) Caer Llion
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of the magician Gwydion in "Math son of Mathonwy" and describe him in detail. State whether this character is more a negative character or a positive character, or neutral, using quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)