|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the technical term used for stories told to explain a place name?
2. Which of the following places is not mentioned in the tale?
3. What color hair does the maiden have when Macsen sees her in the dream?
4. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
5. What town was Pwyll and Rhiannon's son born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the door facing Cornwall is opened?
2. Why does Teyrnon decide to take Gwri to the court of Pwyll?
3. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
4. Exactly what disappears during the thunder and mist, and what does not?
5. How do Bendigeidfran and his brothers know that the Irish ships are coming in peace?
6. What does Macsen see in his dream beside the river?
7. What happens to Branwen after the battle?
8. How does Lleu Llaw Gyffes get his name?
9. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
10. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Mabinogion, what behavior is considered honourable or dishonourable? Choose two examples of behaviour described as honourable in the text and two examples of dishonourable behaviour. Describe each in detail, and include an explanation of how the honourable or dishonourable action affects the events of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Hunting seems to be an important plot element in many of the tales in The Mabinogion. Eexplain the role that hunts and hunting play in the plots of the following tales:
(a) Pwyll Prince of Dyfed
(b) Culhwch and Olwen
(c) The Dream of Macsen Wledig
Essay Topic 3
Many claim that Celtic society assigned a high status to women. Bearing in mind that The Mabinogion is considered to be a very important collection of Celtic legend, do the tales in The Mabinogion support this view? Use examples from at least three tales to support your answer.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)