|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times in total does Pwyll see Rhiannon riding past the mound?
2. What is the name of the man (other than Pwyll) who claims Rhiannon as his bride?
3. What do Gwydion and his men disguise themselves at to visit the court of Pryderi?
4. What animal does Pwyll say that he has trapped in the bag?
(a) A weasel
(b) A snake
(c) A badger
(d) A fox
5. Where is Macsen when he receives the message that inspires him to return to Rome?
(a) Caer Aranrhod
(b) Caer Llion
(d) Caer Fyrddin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elen arrange to be brought to Britain so Macsen can feel more at home?
2. When were the tales written down?
3. Who invented the word "Mabinogion"?
4. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
5. What was the original name for this collection of tales?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
2. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
3. How do Math and Gwydion find Lleu Llaw Gyffes after Gronwr shoots him?
4. Why does the author of "The Dream of Rhonabwy" say that nobody can remember the tale without a book?
5. Why does Glewlwyd Mighty-Grasp recommend that Culhwch should be admitted to Arthur's court?
6. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
7. Why does Gereint decide to follow the knight and the dwarf?
8. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
9. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
10. What are the three plagues that strike Llud's kingdom?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)