|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bendigeifran wounded?
(a) In the foot
(b) In the head
(c) In the thigh
(d) In the heart
2. What animal leads Math and Gwydion to Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
(a) An eagle
(b) A stag
(c) A sow
(d) A shewolf
3. How many riders approach Pwyll after he had driven the strange pack from the dead stag?
4. Which sub-division of the tales are considered to be the most recently written?
(a) The Three Romances
(b) The Four Branches of the Mabinogi
(c) The Tales of King Arthur
(d) The Four Independent Native Tales
5. How does Llwyd transform his wife back into human form?
(a) He taps her with a magic wand
(b) He sings a song of power
(c) He claps his hands three times
(d) He writes a sigil in the air
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Aranrhod give birth to?
2. What is the name of Pryderi's wife?
3. Which of the following is not one of the strongholds built by Elen?
4. What town was Pwyll and Rhiannon's son born in?
5. How long does Pwyll spend in the Otherworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aranrhod treat Lleu Llaw Gyffes so spitefully?
2. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
3. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
4. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
5. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
6. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
7. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
8. What do the Irish hide within the hall built for Bendigeidfran and why?
9. What is unusual about Rhiannon's horse as the messengers try to catch her?
10. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)