|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town was Pwyll and Rhiannon's son born in?
(c) Caer Aranrhod
(d) Caer Llion
2. What animal does Pwyll say that he has trapped in the bag?
(a) A fox
(b) A badger
(c) A weasel
(d) A snake
3. How many original manuscripts did the original tales come from?
4. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
(a) The Book of the Dun Cow
(b) The Romances of Chretién de Troyes
(c) The White Book of Rhydderch
(d) The Red Book of Hergest
5. What breed of bird did Branwen train to carry a message?
(a) A sparrow
(b) A skylark
(c) A starling
(d) A raven
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following places is not mentioned in the tale?
2. Which of the following phenomena did not signal the disappearance of the people and domestic animals of Dyfed?
3. How many tales appear in THE MABINOGION?
4. What does Elen arrange to be brought to Britain so Macsen can feel more at home?
5. What is the name of Pryderi's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the four have to leave the towns in Lloegyr they try to settle in?
2. How does Math react to the news that Goewin has been raped?
3. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
4. What is unusual about Rhiannon's horse as the messengers try to catch her?
5. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
6. How does Lleu Llaw Gyffes get his name?
7. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
8. Where does Macsen Wledig fall asleep?
9. How were these tales originally presented to an audience?
10. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)