|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not come on Manawydan and Pryderi in revenge for what was done to Gwawl?
(a) The raids on Manawydan's crops
(b) The persecution of Manawydan by the shoemakers
(c) The disappearance of the people and domestic animals of Dyfed
(d) The captivity of Pryderi and Rhiannon
2. How long does Rhiannon have to serve her penance?
(a) Until the true murderer is found
(b) The rest of her life
(c) Seven years
(d) Nine years
3. Which of the following is not part of the situation where Lleu Llaw Gyffes can be killed?
(a) A hut on a riverbank
(b) A spear made while folk are at Mass on Sundays
(c) Having one foot on a goat and one foot on the rim of a bath
(d) Being dressed only in a net
4. How much does the priest offer for the release of the mouse?
(a) Thirty pounds
(b) One pound
(c) Five pounds
(d) Three pounds
5. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
(a) A slow, even pace
(b) A full gallop
(c) A brisk canter
(d) Faster than lightning
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following crafts do Manawydan and Pryderi not earn a living at?
2. Who invented the word "Mabinogion"?
3. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
4. Which of the following cantrefs does Pryderi not rule over?
5. When were the tales written down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cigfa become so fearful after Rhiannon and Pryderi vanish?
2. What does Elen insist on after the messengers salute her as Empress of Rome?
3. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
4. What does Pwyll do that insults or offends Arawn?
5. What happens when the door facing Cornwall is opened?
6. Why do the serving women decide to accuse Rhiannon of murdering her son?
7. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
8. Why does Elen command the roads to be built throughout Britain?
9. How do Math and Gwydion find Lleu Llaw Gyffes after Gronwr shoots him?
10. Where did the Three Romances originate from before being written for the Mabinogion?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)