|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person to try to rescue Pryderi from the caer?
2. How long was Llasar Llaes Gyfnewid's wife pregnant for?
(a) A month
(b) A fortnight
(c) Six months
(d) Six weeks
3. Which of the following parts of shoemaking do Manawydan and Pryderi not do for themselves?
(a) Skinning beasts to get the hides
(b) Cutting out the leather
(c) Stitching the shoes together
(d) Dressing and tanning the leather
4. Which of the following did Efnisien not to do the horses?
(a) Cut off their tails
(b) Cut off their lips
(c) Cut off their ears
(d) Cut off their manes
5. When do the mice come to steal Manawydan's grain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which well-known legendary hero appears in several tales within The Mabinogion?
2. Which of the following does Gwydion not use at some stage during the tale to create his illusions?
3. What color hair does the maiden have when Macsen sees her in the dream?
4. Which town in Lloegyr do Cigfa and Manawydan live in when Manawydan becomes a shoemaker for the second time?
5. What sort of tree does Lleu Llaw Gyffes perch in when in his eagle form?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action of Pwyll's during his year in the Otherworld impresses Arawn as an example of virtue?
2. What three tokens of manhood does Aranrhod refuse to give Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
3. What role does Macsen Wledig play in the reconquest of Rome?
4. Why does Teyrnon decide to take Gwri to the court of Pwyll?
5. How do Bendigeidfran and his brothers know that the Irish ships are coming in peace?
6. What do the Irish hide within the hall built for Bendigeidfran and why?
7. Why does Pryderi arrange for his widowed mother to marry Manawydan?
8. Was the name "The Mabinogion" originally given to this collection of tales?
9. Why, according to the tale, do the warriors of Cynan decide to cut out the tongues of the women?
10. Why does Llwyd use his magic to bring harm to Pryderi and his family?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)