|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cynon see the two blond curly-haired youths doing in the castle?
(a) Practicing archery
(b) Making arrows
(c) Practicing sword fighting
(d) Playing gwyddbwyll
2. Which of the following pieces of advice does Peredur's mother not give him?
(a) If you hear a woman scream, go and help.
(b) If nobody gives you food when you need it, you can help yourself.
(c) If you stay overnight at a castle, you may stay three nights and no more.
(d) If you see a church, go inside and pray.
3. Where does Owein end up living with his wife?
(a) The city by the fountain
(b) Arthur's court
(c) The shining castle
(d) The castle of the Black Oppressor
4. What time of year is it when Enid laments that her husband is falling into a decline?
5. Who takes the ring from Owein?
(a) An unnamed maiden
(c) The Lady of the Fountain
6. What day of the week is it when the messenger brings news of the white stag?
7. Which of the following is not promised to Culhwch by the porter if he stays in the guest house?
(b) Food for his dogs and horse
(c) Hot peppered chops
(d) A hot bath
8. Which of the following does Arthur not mention as one of the things that he cannot grant as a boon to Culhwch?
(a) His spear
(b) His sword
(c) His horse
(d) His wife
9. Which of the following is not one of the results of the terrible scream?
(a) Women have miscarriages
(b) Animals and trees become barren
(c) Young men and women faint
(d) Snow falls in the middle of summer
10. What does Gereint do to challenge the knight in the mist to fight?
(a) He draws his sword
(b) He blows the hunting horn
(c) He kisses the maiden
(d) He sits in the knight's chair
11. Who takes the razor from between the ears of Twrch Trwyth?
12. Why can't the Coranieid be destroyed?
(a) They can overhear every plan to destroy them
(b) Iron weapons have no effect on them
(c) If one is killed, it comes back to life
(d) They are invisible
13. What is on the banner topping the white pavilion that the first messenger to Arthur and Owein?
(a) A black snake with red eyes
(b) A gold dragon breathing black fire
(c) A black raven with golden claws
(d) A red horse with a yellow mane
14. Which of the following is not given as a name for London?
(a) Caer Lundein
(c) Caer Lloegyr
(d) Caer Ludd
15. What is unusual about the dwarfs who speak the praise of Peredur (apart from their lack of height)?
(a) They are both blind.
(b) They are identical twins.
(c) They both have one brown eye and one blue eye.
(d) They have been unable to speak until that point.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person of Arthur's court to find Gereint wounded under a tree?
2. Which of the following does the original writer not give as one of the things that makes this tale nearly impossible to learn by heart?
3. Where do Arthur's warband first find Twrch Trwyth?
4. What prevents Llud and Llefelys talking to each other?
5. How does Lludd keep himself awake while he keeps watch over the hall at night?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)