|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cynon return back to Arthur's court after the black knight takes his horse?
(a) He is given a new horse at the shining castle.
(b) He steals a horse from a farm.
(c) The Hideous Herdsman gives him a stag to ride.
(d) He walks home.
2. Where do Llud and Llefelys meet to discuss the plagues?
(a) On board a ship
(b) On top of a mountain
(c) In a hall made of bronze
(d) In the middle of the circle of Stonehenge
3. Why does Enid scream?
(a) The earl tries to kill Gereint.
(b) The earl tries to rape her.
(c) The earl spills wine over her skirt.
(d) The earl boxes her ears.
4. What color is the hair of the Ragged Maiden who offers herself as Peredur's paramour?
(a) Red or auburn
(c) We are not told
5. How long does Rhonabwy dream for?
(a) A night and a day
(b) Three days and three nights
(c) One whole week
(d) One whole night
6. What is unusual about the knight seen by Gwenhwyfar and Gereint?
(a) He is covered in mud and blood.
(b) He is a dwarf.
(c) He is very large.
(d) He is green all over.
7. What relation is Culhwch to Arthur?
(a) His great-nephew
(b) His nephew
(c) His first cousin
(d) His second cousin
8. What colour is Gereint's hair?
(b) We are not told
9. Where do the pure black troop come from?
10. Which of the following do the party of soldiers not see on the floor of the old hall?
(a) Broken pots
(d) Cow dung
11. How many knights in total does Gereint defeat before coming to the Dun Earl's dominions?
12. Which of the following animals does Cynon not mention when he describes the Hideous Herdsman?
13. What is the ultimate fate of the Black Oppressor?
(a) He becomes one of Arthur's knights.
(b) Owein kills him.
(c) He turns his house into a hospice.
(d) He becomes the next defender of the fountain.
14. Which of the following does the original writer not give as one of the things that makes this tale nearly impossible to learn by heart?
(a) The colors on the horses
(b) The colors on the mantles
(c) The banners on the pavillions
(d) The magic stones
15. What is on the banner topping the white pavilion that the first messenger to Arthur and Owein?
(a) A black snake with red eyes
(b) A red horse with a yellow mane
(c) A gold dragon breathing black fire
(d) A black raven with golden claws
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Peredur not encounter in the quest of the Black Worm of the Barrow?
2. What is the most common response of both Owein and Arthur when the messengers bring them news about the battle between the men and the ravens?
3. Who killed the white stag?
4. What does Gereint do to challenge the knight in the mist to fight?
5. Which of the following pieces of advice does Peredur's mother not give him?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)