|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the strange hounds seen by Pwyll?
(a) Red with white ears
(b) White with red ears
(c) Red, black and white
(d) White with black ears
2. How many tales are versions of French romances?
(c) All of them
3. Which well-known legendary hero appears in several tales within The Mabinogion?
(a) King Arthur
(b) Alexander the Great
(c) Julius Caesar
(d) Robin Hood
4. What is the name of the king that Pwyll must face in single combat in the Otherworld?
5. What animal does Pwyll say that he has trapped in the bag?
(a) A snake
(b) A weasel
(c) A badger
(d) A fox
6. Which country do these tales originate in?
7. How many original manuscripts did the original tales come from?
8. What is unusual about the warriors brought back to life by the Cauldron of Rebirth?
(a) Their skins have turned green
(b) They cannot speak
(c) They do not bleed when wounded
(d) They have no eyes
9. What sort of tree does Lleu Llaw Gyffes perch in when in his eagle form?
(a) A birch
(b) A beech
(c) An oak
(d) An ash
10. How long does Rhiannon have to serve her penance?
(a) Seven years
(b) Nine years
(c) Until the true murderer is found
(d) The rest of her life
11. What do Gwydion and his men disguise themselves at to visit the court of Pryderi?
12. What animal leads Math and Gwydion to Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
(a) A sow
(b) A stag
(c) An eagle
(d) A shewolf
13. Who invented the word "Mabinogion"?
(a) King Arthur
(b) Nobody - it is part of the Welsh language
(c) Lady Charlotte Guest
(d) Chretién de Troyes
14. Which of the following does Pryderi not find inside the caer?
(a) A golden bowl
(b) A silver cauldron
(c) A marble slab
(d) A fountain
15. How long was Llasar Llaes Gyfnewid's wife pregnant for?
(a) A fortnight
(b) A month
(c) Six weeks
(d) Six months
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cantrefs does Pryderi not rule over?
2. What do the Irish swineherds mistake Bendigeidfran for as he crosses the ocean?
3. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
4. Who translated THE MABINOGION?
5. How long does it take Elen's brothers to conquer the city?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)