|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people does Macsen Wledig see in his dream?
2. How long was Branwen treated as a queen should be?
(a) Not at all
(b) Three years
(c) Two years
(d) One year
3. Which of the following places is not mentioned in the tale?
4. Which sub-division of the tales are considered to be the most recently written?
(a) The Tales of King Arthur
(b) The Three Romances
(c) The Four Independent Native Tales
(d) The Four Branches of the Mabinogi
5. Which of the tales should correctly be called "The Mabinogion"?
(a) All of them
(b) The last three
(c) The first four
(d) Only "The Dream of Rhonabwy"
6. What is the mystery child left in the stable wearing?
(a) Swaddling clothes
(b) Red and white silk
(c) Brocaded silk
7. What colour were the saddles made by Manawydan and Pryderi?
(b) Dark blue
(d) Dark red
8. Which of the following animals are Gilfaethwy and Gwydion not transformed into?
9. Who invented the word "Mabinogion"?
(a) King Arthur
(b) Chretién de Troyes
(c) Lady Charlotte Guest
(d) Nobody - it is part of the Welsh language
10. How old was Gwri when he learned to walk?
(a) One year old
(b) Less than one year old
(c) Less than three months old
(d) Three years old
11. How much does the priest offer for the release of the mouse?
(a) Three pounds
(b) One pound
(c) Five pounds
(d) Thirty pounds
12. What was the name of the French troubador who originally wrote the earliest version of three of these tales?
(a) Lady Charlotte Guest
(b) Marie de France
(d) Chretién de Troyes
13. What is the technical term used for stories told to explain a place name?
14. How many pigs does Gwydion get in exchange from Pryderi for the magical horses and greyhounds
(b) We are not told
15. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
(a) Queen of Rome
(b) Empress of Rome
(c) Queen of Britain
(d) Empress of Britain
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following flowers is not used to create Blodeuedd?
2. Which of the following was not originally a medieval courtly romance?
3. Who accuses Rhiannon of the murder?
4. What is the name of Rhiannon's father?
5. What type of bird does Lleu Llaw Gyffes kill in order to get his name?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)