|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bendigeifran wounded?
(a) In the head
(b) In the foot
(c) In the heart
(d) In the thigh
2. What color were the strange hounds seen by Pwyll?
(a) Red, black and white
(b) White with black ears
(c) White with red ears
(d) Red with white ears
3. What was the original name for this collection of tales?
(a) The White Book of Rhydderch
(b) There was none
(c) The Mabinogion
(d) The Red Book of Hergest
4. Who accuses Rhiannon of the murder?
(b) Her waiting-women
(c) Pwyll's councillors
5. Which of the following phenomena did not signal the disappearance of the people and domestic animals of Dyfed?
6. Who had Bendigeifran left as his regent while he was in Ireland?
(d) Pendaran Dyfed
7. What is the most likely meaning of "Mabinogion"?
(a) Heroic Tales
(b) Tales of Battle
(c) Tales of a Youth
(d) Tales of a Knight
8. Where does Manawydan keep the mouse he catches?
(a) In his shoe
(b) In his hat
(c) In his glove
(d) In his pocket
9. Which of the following animals are Gilfaethwy and Gwydion not transformed into?
10. How long was Llasar Llaes Gyfnewid's wife pregnant for?
(a) A month
(b) A fortnight
(c) Six weeks
(d) Six months
11. What color hair does the maiden have when Macsen sees her in the dream?
(c) We are not told
12. Which of the following does Gwydion not use at some stage during the tale to create his illusions?
13. What does Elen arrange to be brought to Britain so Macsen can feel more at home?
(a) His ageing mother
(b) Soil from his native land
(d) His hunting hounds
14. Why was Manawydan able to catch Llwyd's wife in mouse form?
(a) She was carrying too much grain
(b) She was overweight
(c) She was lame
(d) She was pregnant
15. What is the name of Rhiannon's father?
(a) Gwawl son of Clud
(b) Arawn King of Arawn
(c) Hefeydd the Old
(d) Hereward the Wake
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was The Mabinogion originally written in?
2. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
3. How many children does Aranrhod give birth to?
4. Where is Macsen when he receives the message that inspires him to return to Rome?
5. Which of the following places is not mentioned in the tale?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)