|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many original manuscripts did the original tales come from?
2. How long does Macsen Wledig spend in Britain with Elen?
(a) Seven years
(b) One year
(c) A year and a day
(d) Ten years
3. What town was Pwyll and Rhiannon's son born in?
(a) Caer Aranrhod
(c) Caer Llion
4. Which of the following crafts do Manawydan and Pryderi not earn a living at?
(a) Sword makers
(b) Saddle makers
(d) Shield makers
5. Which of the following is not part of the situation where Lleu Llaw Gyffes can be killed?
(a) Being dressed only in a net
(b) Having one foot on a goat and one foot on the rim of a bath
(c) A hut on a riverbank
(d) A spear made while folk are at Mass on Sundays
6. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
(a) Queen of Rome
(b) Empress of Rome
(c) Empress of Britain
(d) Queen of Britain
7. How many tales are versions of French romances?
(a) All of them
8. What is the name of the king that Pwyll must face in single combat in the Otherworld?
9. How many people does Macsen Wledig see in his dream?
10. Which of the following was not originally a medieval courtly romance?
(a) Gereint Son of Erbin
(b) Branwen Daughter of Llyr
(c) The Lady of the Fountain
(d) Peredur son of Efrawg
11. What color hair does the maiden have when Macsen sees her in the dream?
(c) We are not told
12. Which of the following does not come on Manawydan and Pryderi in revenge for what was done to Gwawl?
(a) The persecution of Manawydan by the shoemakers
(b) The captivity of Pryderi and Rhiannon
(c) The raids on Manawydan's crops
(d) The disappearance of the people and domestic animals of Dyfed
13. Which of the following does Pryderi not find inside the caer?
(a) A silver cauldron
(b) A golden bowl
(c) A marble slab
(d) A fountain
14. What is the bridge onto the ship in Macsen's dream made out of?
(a) Walrus ivory
(b) Purest gold
(c) Crystal-clear glass
(d) Polished oakwood
15. What color were the strange hounds seen by Pwyll?
(a) White with red ears
(b) Red, black and white
(c) Red with white ears
(d) White with black ears
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation is Gwydion to Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
2. How many tales appear in THE MABINOGION?
3. When does Teyrnon's mare give birth to a foal?
4. What is the name of Rhiannon's father?
5. How many messengers set out on the journey indicated by Macsen's dream?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)