|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Pwyll spend in the Otherworld?
(a) A week
(b) A year
(c) A season
(d) A month
2. What was the original name for this collection of tales?
(a) The White Book of Rhydderch
(b) The Mabinogion
(c) There was none
(d) The Red Book of Hergest
3. How many children does Aranrhod give birth to?
4. What weapon does Lleu Llaw Gyffes use to kill Gronwr?
(a) A spear
(b) A sword
(c) A stone
(d) An arrow
5. Which of the following places do the survivors not spend time?
6. Which of the tales should correctly be called "The Mabinogion"?
(a) Only "The Dream of Rhonabwy"
(b) The first four
(c) The last three
(d) All of them
7. How many Welsh people survive the battle?
8. Which well-known legendary hero appears in several tales within The Mabinogion?
(a) King Arthur
(b) Robin Hood
(c) Alexander the Great
(d) Julius Caesar
9. What equipment do the brothers use to breach the city walls and enter the city?
(a) Battering rams
10. What is the name of the man (other than Pwyll) who claims Rhiannon as his bride?
11. How many messengers set out on the journey indicated by Macsen's dream?
12. How does Llwyd transform his wife back into human form?
(a) He writes a sigil in the air
(b) He claps his hands three times
(c) He sings a song of power
(d) He taps her with a magic wand
13. What is the name of the river in Ireland that Bendigeidfran helps his troops to cross?
14. Which of the following places is not mentioned in the tale?
15. Where did Bendigeifran tell the survivors to bury his head?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the French troubador who originally wrote the earliest version of three of these tales?
2. Which of the following flowers is not used to create Blodeuedd?
3. What relation is Gwydion to Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
4. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
5. When do the mice come to steal Manawydan's grain?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)