|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color hair does the maiden have when Macsen sees her in the dream?
(c) We are not told
2. What colour were the saddles made by Manawydan and Pryderi?
(b) Dark red
(c) Dark blue
3. Why was Manawydan able to catch Llwyd's wife in mouse form?
(a) She was overweight
(b) She was pregnant
(c) She was carrying too much grain
(d) She was lame
4. How many years did the four spend living in the wilds before moving to Lloegyr?
(a) Three years
(b) One year
(c) Two years
(d) The story does not say
5. Who accuses Rhiannon of the murder?
(b) Pwyll's councillors
(c) Her waiting-women
6. What color were the strange hounds seen by Pwyll?
(a) Red with white ears
(b) White with black ears
(c) Red, black and white
(d) White with red ears
7. Which of the following does not come on Manawydan and Pryderi in revenge for what was done to Gwawl?
(a) The persecution of Manawydan by the shoemakers
(b) The disappearance of the people and domestic animals of Dyfed
(c) The raids on Manawydan's crops
(d) The captivity of Pryderi and Rhiannon
8. Who invented the word "Mabinogion"?
(a) Chretién de Troyes
(b) King Arthur
(c) Lady Charlotte Guest
(d) Nobody - it is part of the Welsh language
9. Which of the following is not one of the strongholds built by Elen?
(b) Dinas Emrys
(c) Caer Fyrddin
(d) Caer Llion
10. When does Teyrnon's mare give birth to a foal?
(b) May Day
(c) May Eve
11. What is unusual about the boar pursued by Pryderi's hunting hounds?
(a) It drips flame from its muzzle
(b) It can make itself invisible
(c) It is white
(d) It can run faster than the fastest horse
12. What language was <i>The Mabinogion</i> originally written in?
13. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
(a) A slow, even pace
(b) Faster than lightning
(c) A brisk canter
(d) A full gallop
14. Who decides on Blodeuedd's punishment?
(b) Lleu Llaw Gyffes
15. Where is Bendigeifran wounded?
(a) In the heart
(b) In the head
(c) In the foot
(d) In the thigh
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Branwen treated as a queen should be?
2. What does Elen arrange to be brought to Britain so Macsen can feel more at home?
3. What is the name of the river in Ireland that Bendigeidfran helps his troops to cross?
4. How long does Macsen Wledig spend in Britain with Elen?
5. Which of the following animals are Gilfaethwy and Gwydion not transformed into?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)