|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Branwen treated as a queen should be?
(a) One year
(b) Three years
(c) Two years
(d) Not at all
2. What relation is Gwydion to Lleu Llaw Gyffes?
(a) His uncle
(b) His cousin
(c) His father
(d) His brother
3. When were the tales written down?
(a) 1400 to 1450
(b) 1200 to 1500
(c) 1300 to 1400
(d) 1300 to 1450
4. What is the name of Rhiannon's father?
(a) Hereward the Wake
(b) Hefeydd the Old
(c) Gwawl son of Clud
(d) Arawn King of Arawn
5. Which of the following is not a sibling to the others this list?
6. What was the name of the French troubador who originally wrote the earliest version of three of these tales?
(b) Marie de France
(c) Chretién de Troyes
(d) Lady Charlotte Guest
7. Why was Manawydan able to catch Llwyd's wife in mouse form?
(a) She was lame
(b) She was carrying too much grain
(c) She was pregnant
(d) She was overweight
8. What animal is killed in order to frame Rhiannon for the murder of her son?
(a) A dog
(b) A horse
(c) A stag
(d) A badger
9. How long does Rhiannon have to serve her penance?
(a) The rest of her life
(b) Seven years
(c) Until the true murderer is found
(d) Nine years
10. Which of the following places do the survivors not spend time?
11. Which original manuscript used to compile The Mabinogion is the oldest?
(a) The Red Book of Hergest
(b) The Book of the Dun Cow
(c) The White Book of Rhydderch
(d) The Romances of Chretién de Troyes
12. How fast is Rhiannon's horse travelling when the messengers pursue her?
(a) Faster than lightning
(b) A full gallop
(c) A brisk canter
(d) A slow, even pace
13. What do the Irish swineherds mistake Bendigeidfran for as he crosses the ocean?
(a) A ridge
(b) A forest
(c) A whale
(d) A mountain
14. How many riders approach Pwyll after he had driven the strange pack from the dead stag?
15. What does Elen arrange to be brought to Britain so Macsen can feel more at home?
(b) His hunting hounds
(c) His ageing mother
(d) Soil from his native land
Short Answer Questions
1. What title do the messengers greet the maiden with?
2. How long does Macsen Wledig spend in Britain with Elen?
3. How many messengers set out on the journey indicated by Macsen's dream?
4. Who is the first person to try to rescue Pryderi from the caer?
5. How many tales are versions of French romances?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)