|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Mrs. Mercer tease Emma?
2. Why does Ethan say he didn't come with her to Nisha's party?
3. What does Emma wonder about concerning Sutton while on the way to school?
4. Where does Sutton Mercer live?
5. What does Sutton believe as she is observing Ethan and Emma conversing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma end up at Sutton's house?
2. What happens when Mrs. Mercer wakes Emma the next morning?
3. Where do Sutton's friends drag Emma?
4. What happened to Sutton over the summer?
5. How does Sutton hurt Laurel's feelings at the hot spring?
6. Where does Emma disembark from the bus and what do she and Alex talk about?
7. What is happening to Sutton Mercer in the Prologue?
8. What happens when Emma and Nisha are handing out tennis outfits?
9. How does Emma find out where Sutton lives?
10. Where does Emma suggest they go at the Mall and what is Madeline's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emma holds to the hope that she and Sutton will have a wonderful reunion and that they'll become close. Emma has felt an emptiness because of the lack of personal long-term connections in her life. She has put a great deal of hope into the idea that Sutton will fill that gap.
1. Discuss Sutton and her habits and personality as to how you think a reunion between Sutton and Emma would be. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss what you know of Emma's life and why she might feel as she does in the above statement. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. From what is seen of Emma's life before she goes to Tucson discuss what some of the problems are with the foster care system and how you think being in foster care may have affected Emma. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Lying Game. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Shepard chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Shepard chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Shepard's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Shepard use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Lying Game.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Lying Game. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Lying Game. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)