|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT handcuffed by the SWAT team and forced into the backseat of a car?
2. Which of the following characters proves to be the fall-man, leading Steve back to the water?
3. What type of car did Jim Beer drive before his wife stole it?
4. How many men work nights at the methamphetamine house?
5. What type of alcoholic beverage does Val drink while talking with Catfish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steve is a character who undergoes many different transformations, both physical and emotional. First, explain where Steve came from and how he earned his name. Then, explain Steve's physical transformation. How did these transformations occur? How did Steve's physical transformation directly reflect his emotional transformation?
Essay Topic 2
Bess Leander's death was the jump-off point for the events of the entire novel. First, describe the scene when investigators first came across Bess Leander's body. What clues did they have? Who were the main suspects? Then, explain how the clues changed as the novel progressed and explain what really happened to Bess Leander.
Essay Topic 3
Catfish is a character with an interesting history. First, explain Catfish's relationship with Smiley, and how it inevitably ended. Then, explain why Catfish has been on the road for the past fifty years, and why he struggles to settle down.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)