|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before her death, what obsessive behavior did Bess Leander adopt?
2. What type of materials does Molly buy while at the hardware store?
3. What is the name of the driver of the truck the sea monster tries to mount?
4. How long has Theo been in his current profession?
5. What is Marge's best friend's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Molly treated when she enters the hardware store to run a few errands?
2. What explanations does Gabe give Theo about the decreased levels of serotonin in his rats?
3. How does Val feel about her decision to substitute placebos for medication after her therapy session with Estelle?
4. Why does Sheriff Burton leave Theo seven angry messages on his answering machine?
5. Why does The Spider agree to help Theo at the cave battle?
6. How does Theo react to the news that there's been an explosion at the gas station?
7. What offer does Mavis give to Winston, which propels Winston to become the fall man in their battle against the beast?
8. What surprises Estelle about her visit to The Slug's Head?
9. Why did Jim Beer agree to turn his ranch into a methamphetamine lab?
10. What does Molly purchase at the pharmacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sheriff spends the majority of the novel trying to cover-up a major secret in his life. What secret was the Sheriff hiding from the rest of the world? Give at least two examples of characters the Sheriff manipulated in the hopes of keeping his secret buried. How did this cover-up conspiracy affect the town of Pine Cove as a whole? In the end, was the Sheriff successful in keeping his secret? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship and trust become important elements during the investigations that take place in this novel. First, explain who you believe is the most trustworthy character in the novel, and give at least two examples for times when this character proved their trustworthiness. Then, compare / contrast that to the character you believe to be the least trustworthy character in the novel. Give at least two examples of times when this character proved their untrustworthiness.
Essay Topic 3
Steve has an unusual appetite that he spends the majority of the novel trying to satiate. What is Steve's main food source? How does he get this food? Which characters know the truth about Steve's eating habits, and how do they react to his hunger? In the end, is Steve's bizarre appetite a help or a hindrance to Pine Cove as they try to get back on their feet? How can you tell?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)