|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the scar that ended Molly's acting career?
2. How old is Mikey?
3. What is the name of the blues singer Mavis hires to sing in her bar?
4. What is the name of the informant who works for the Sheriff?
5. What sound does the giant fish make when Catfish hauls it out of the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Marge and Katie?
2. What is the immediate reaction from first responders about Bess Leander's death?
3. What solution does Molly have for Steve's excessive hunger for humans?
4. What does Molly purchase at the pharmacy?
5. What confessions does Estelle make to Val when she comes in for her first therapy session?
6. How does Sheriff Burton respond when he hears the news that Theo is helping with Mikey's disappearance investigation?
7. What explanations does Gabe give Theo about the decreased levels of serotonin in his rats?
8. What bribe does the Sheriff give Theo while battling at the cave?
9. How does Theo react to the news that there's been an explosion at the gas station?
10. Why does Les suddenly arrive, unannounced, at Molly's doorstep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Gabe Fenton is working on various science experiments that eventually lead to a crucial discovery about the sea monster. First, explain the science experiments Gabe is working on regarding the rats. Describe at least two major scientific breakthroughs Gabe makes through these studies, and explain how these breakthroughs eventually helped lead to the capture of the sea monster.
Essay Topic 2
The Sheriff spends the majority of the novel trying to cover-up a major secret in his life. What secret was the Sheriff hiding from the rest of the world? Give at least two examples of characters the Sheriff manipulated in the hopes of keeping his secret buried. How did this cover-up conspiracy affect the town of Pine Cove as a whole? In the end, was the Sheriff successful in keeping his secret? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Val, the town psychiatrist, makes a tough moral decision in regards to her patients. What tough decision does Val make? What events prompted this moral decision? In the end, was the moral decision she made about her patients a good one? Why or why not?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)