|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following medications was Bess Leander supposed to be taking that couldn't be found in her bloodstream?
2. What type of animals does Gabe Fenton tag and track?
3. Who attacks Smiley and Catfish while they are asleep, the night after they sold hunks of their fish?
4. What does Bess' husband give to Theo from Bess' medicine cabinet?
5. What does Mavis threaten to hit Molly over the head with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Smiley die?
2. How does the sea monster find its prey?
3. What happens to the sea monster at the end of the novel?
4. Why does Sheriff Burton leave Theo seven angry messages on his answering machine?
5. What offer does Mavis give to Winston, which propels Winston to become the fall man in their battle against the beast?
6. How does Val react after she and Gabe make love for the first time?
7. What is Val's reaction to the news of Bess Leander's suicide?
8. What does Gabe think happened to Jim Beer's cows?
9. How does Val feel about her decision to substitute placebos for medication after her therapy session with Estelle?
10. What interesting discoveries does Gabe Fenton make about the rats near the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steve has an unusual appetite that he spends the majority of the novel trying to satiate. What is Steve's main food source? How does he get this food? Which characters know the truth about Steve's eating habits, and how do they react to his hunger? In the end, is Steve's bizarre appetite a help or a hindrance to Pine Cove as they try to get back on their feet? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Gabe Fenton is working on various science experiments that eventually lead to a crucial discovery about the sea monster. First, explain the science experiments Gabe is working on regarding the rats. Describe at least two major scientific breakthroughs Gabe makes through these studies, and explain how these breakthroughs eventually helped lead to the capture of the sea monster.
Essay Topic 3
Catfish and Estelle were an unlikely romantic couple who became integral to the capture of the sea monster. First, explain how Catfish and Estelle first met, and how their relationship turned from friendship to a romantic connection. Emotionally, what was holding both Catfish and Estelle back from pursuing a romantic relationship? How did each of these characters overcome their emotional hurdles to eventually find love?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)