|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the mood in the Slug's Head?
2. What odd job does Mikey do around the neighborhood?
3. Which of the following characters is most interested in Gabe's documentation on the behavior of rats?
4. What is Bess Leander's widower's name?
5. What type of animal does Molly compare the disguised trailer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Molly punished for her outburst in the bar, leading to a fight?
2. How does Smiley die?
3. What explanations does Gabe give Theo about the decreased levels of serotonin in his rats?
4. What unusual sight does the Sheriff see while he is driving to the HP Cafe in search of Betsy?
5. What conversation does Gabe get into with Val on the day after Mikey disappears?
6. What confessions does Estelle make to Val when she comes in for her first therapy session?
7. What surprises Estelle about her visit to The Slug's Head?
8. How is the sea monster lured back to the sea?
9. What is the immediate reaction from first responders about Bess Leander's death?
10. What happens when Mikey stands too close to Molly's next door neighbor's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bess Leander's death was the jump-off point for the events of the entire novel. First, describe the scene when investigators first came across Bess Leander's body. What clues did they have? Who were the main suspects? Then, explain how the clues changed as the novel progressed and explain what really happened to Bess Leander.
Essay Topic 2
There are two major settings for the people of Pine Cove - The HP Cafe, and the Slug's Head Saloon. First, describe each of these settings in detail. Then, explain why these settings are so important to the novel as a whole, and give at least one example of a plot changing event that happened in these settings. Finally, explain which place you think is most important to Pine Cove as a whole, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Steve is a character who undergoes many different transformations, both physical and emotional. First, explain where Steve came from and how he earned his name. Then, explain Steve's physical transformation. How did these transformations occur? How did Steve's physical transformation directly reflect his emotional transformation?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)