|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is considered the town gossip?
2. What is the name of the trailer park where Molly lives?
3. Which of the following characters is the first to feel the effects of the placebos?
4. What does Bess' husband give to Theo from Bess' medicine cabinet?
5. What does the sea monster turn into after the explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Molly purchase at the pharmacy?
2. Why does Sheriff Burton leave Theo seven angry messages on his answering machine?
3. What happens to Theo at the end of the novel?
4. How does Smiley die?
5. What information does The Spider give to Theo when he calls for a bribe?
6. What conversation does Gabe get into with Val on the day after Mikey disappears?
7. How does Sheriff Burton respond when he hears the news that Theo is helping with Mikey's disappearance investigation?
8. Why does The Spider agree to help Theo at the cave battle?
9. Who are Marge and Katie?
10. What solution does Molly have for Steve's excessive hunger for humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, many of the Pine Cove community members are addicted to antidepressants. Why is this particular pill so widely spread around Pine Cove? What are the effects of this pill addiction on the community as a whole? How does the town shake their pill addiction, and in the end, does the town think kicking pills was worth it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Gabe Fenton is working on various science experiments that eventually lead to a crucial discovery about the sea monster. First, explain the science experiments Gabe is working on regarding the rats. Describe at least two major scientific breakthroughs Gabe makes through these studies, and explain how these breakthroughs eventually helped lead to the capture of the sea monster.
Essay Topic 3
Molly once had a successful career as a high-profile actress. What type of actress was Molly? What was Molly's most famous role? How does Molly cling to her famous role, and how has this role affected her psychology? Finally, explain why Molly's acting career ended, and how she reacted to her change in career.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)