|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does the younger brother write to his sister during the period after high school?
2. How did the lover end up back in Chochinchina?
3. What is done to the lover on the outings to the restaurants and nightclubs?
4. In segment 16, what does the narrator compare her life to?
5. What does the lover have difficulty doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author chooses to write her novel in a form of narrative style that shifts back and forth in time. What are the effects of this kind of writing? How does this narrative style aid the reader in the comprehension of the novel? Is this type of narrative style ineffective for writing a novel dealing with such a lengthy period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Come up with a list of at least 5 literary devices that are used in the novel. For each one, define the literary device, identify its use in the novel, give a few examples of its use and explain the author's reason for using it.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator tells a few stories in the novel that seemingly have nothing to do with the plot or her life story. However, these stories can be seen to parallel the narrator's own story. What are these stories or instances that the narrator relates to the reader? Summarize them and explain why or how they are used as metaphors for the narrator's life. Why does the narrator choose to use these comparisons?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)