|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actively supports the older brother's behavior?
2. How old is the lover when the relationship with the narrator begins?
3. During their relationship, the couple discusses many subjects. Which of the following subjects do they NOT discuss?
4. Why can't the narrator turn to her family for support in her isolation?
5. At the end of their relationship, what is true about the lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the early life of the narrator with the later life of the narrator. How does the narrator change? How do her circumstances and family life change? Are there any characteristics of the narrator that remain unchanged from her early life into her later life? What aspects of the narrator's personality does she carry with her throughout life?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the mother and the daughter, the narrator, in the novel is very interesting, though highly dysfunctional. Describe this relationship. How does the nature of the relationship affect the personality or character traits of the narrator? How does the relationship between mother and daughter affect the narrator's early and later life? Why is it difficult for the narrator to remember her mother later in life?
Essay Topic 3
At a point in the novel, the narrator compares her love for the lover to water hidden in sand. What does the narrator mean by this? When does the narrator realize she loved the lover? How does that come about?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)