|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the younger brother and the narrator after high school?
2. How does the lover describe his life in Paris, where he was a student?
3. During conversation, the lover tells the narrator he knows someone that she knows. Who is it?
4. What is the relationship between the lover and the narrator based on?
5. Who does the narrator believe never knew the pleasure of sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the character of the older brother. Regardless of his bullying and wastrel ways, he is the favorite of the mother. What aspects of family life lead him to act the way that he does? How could the mother have affected his life if she had chosen to treat him differently? Is his attitude and personality connected to his later life? What happens to the older brother in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Although the colony of Chochinchina is a French colony, it is far removed from France. Explain the differences in the colony of Chochinchina and France as seen through the life of the narrator and her family. Do the differences have anything to do with the shift in time periods? Does life change for the narrator simply because she is no longer under the rule of her dysfunctional family?
Essay Topic 3
Child prostitution is an undertone throughout the novel. Explain what exchanges are being made and why the relationship would be considered child prostitution. Who benefits from this situation? Who loses?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)