|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family's servant seem to function in the family?
2. The narrator has ____ older sibling(s).
3. How does the mother die in the novel?
4. Who never had their own dresses?
5. The family in the story consists of white citizens residing in the colony of Chochinchina. Where is the family originally from?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the height of the relationship, the narrator becomes increasingly fixed on her friend, Helene Lagonelle. What does the narrator express desire to do concerning Helene Lagonelle?
2. How was Dô, the family servant, treated by the family, and how did she react to this treatment?
3. Describe the conversation between the mother and the daughter shortly before the family departs for France.
4. How does the narration of events work in this novel? Is the way that narrator chooses to tell the story confusing or compelling?
5. Briefly describe the life of the narrator around the time she is fifteen.
6. Explain why the relationship would not have lasted even if the narrator would have remained in Chochinchina.
7. In segment 14, the school officially complains to the mother about the outlandish behavior of her daughter. What does the mother say and how does the school respond?
8. What is the relationship between the lover and the narrator? How does the narrator feel about it?
9. Describe how the mother knew the father was going to die before receiving news of his death.
10. What metaphor is used in sync with the narrator's perfect moment in time, when she is on the ferry where she will meet the lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the mother and the daughter, the narrator, in the novel is very interesting, though highly dysfunctional. Describe this relationship. How does the nature of the relationship affect the personality or character traits of the narrator? How does the relationship between mother and daughter affect the narrator's early and later life? Why is it difficult for the narrator to remember her mother later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Come up with a list of at least 5 literary devices that are used in the novel. For each one, define the literary device, identify its use in the novel, give a few examples of its use and explain the author's reason for using it.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the lover and the narrator lasted for a year and a half. Identify the course of the relationship and the key events that shifted the course. What is the beginning of the relationship? What is the highpoint of the relationship? When does the relationship take a downturn? How does the relationship end?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)