|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks about the narrator's family's property investments?
(a) Hélène Lagonelle.
(b) The lover.
(c) The government officials.
(d) The bus driver and ferry hands.
2. What type of clothes does the lover wear?
3. How does the narrator view Hélène Lagonelle?
(a) As a long lost sister.
(b) As the embodiment of beauty.
(c) As a jealous rival.
(d) As an unfortunate foreigner.
4. What nationality is the lover?
5. About how old is the older brother when the mother dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of courses does is the younger brother enrolled in?
2. In contrast to what the mother plans, what does the narrator want to be?
3. Who dies prior to the novel's narration?
4. Who takes care of the family property?
5. How does the narrator obtain her make-up?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator describes both the lover's body and her own in unique ways at the very beginning of their relationship. Explain how.
2. Describe the conversation between the mother and the daughter shortly before the family departs for France.
3. Do the narrator and the lover have contact at any point after the narrator leaves Chochinchina for France? If so, describe this contact.
4. How are the family treated in Chochinchina? Why?
5. Briefly describe the life of the narrator around the time she is fifteen.
6. How was Dô, the family servant, treated by the family, and how did she react to this treatment?
7. How does the mother feel about the education of her children? How do they act in return?
8. Since the family's wealth is tied up in the land investments, how does the mother provide income for the family? How does the income benefit the family?
9. What happens to the lover after the narrator leaves for France?
10. What is the narrator's relationship with her family later in life?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)