|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of her early family life, what does the narrator believe to be true about herself?
(a) She can be the best kind of wife and mother.
(b) She will never be able to love anyone.
(c) She will never be able to trust anyone.
(d) She can become anything anyone wants her to be.
2. About how many years older than the narrator is the older brother?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
3. Who are evident but unequal friends in the novel?
(a) The lover and Dô.
(b) The mother and Dô.
(c) Dô and the older brother.
(d) Hélène Lagonelle and the lover.
4. The lover comments that it is rare to see a white girl ________.
(a) In Chochinchina.
(b) In a man's hat.
(c) On a native bus.
(d) On a ferry.
5. Who is a competent tailor?
(b) Hélène Lagonelle.
(c) The mother.
(d) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. While living in the French colony of Chochinchina, in what city is the narrator's school located?
2. What type of clothes does the lover wear?
3. What subject does the narrator excel in?
4. Who in the novel is especially terrorized and lives their life in a shadow of fear?
5. How does the family's servant seem to function in the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the sex and the relationship at the beginning of the relationship?
2. What becomes of the older brother after the narrator's family moves back to France?
3. In the opening of the novel, how does the narrator appear?
4. How does the father's death affect the family?
5. In segment 13, what happens between the narrator and the lover that results in the narrator being turned off by the lover for the first time?
6. How does the narrator feel after she receives news of the younger brother's death?
7. How does the mother feel about the education of her children? How do they act in return?
8. Why does the mother consider writing, in regards to a career for the narrator, to be unconscionable?
9. Describe the older brother's behavior toward the lover.
10. Once wealthy, now all of the family's money is tied up in property investments. Describe the family property around the time the narrator visits it.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)