|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the father's death, what happens to the family property the mother invests in ?
(a) It isn't taken care of properly and falls into decay.
(b) Villagers set fire to it, and it becomes a wasteland.
(c) The lands thrive and the family makes money off of it.
(d) It is sold to a nearby village who builds a school on it.
2. How does the narrator obtain her make-up?
(a) She gets it from Hélène Lagonelle.
(b) She gets it from Dô.
(c) She steals it from a store.
(d) She borrows it from her mother.
3. Where did the narrator find her hat?
(a) A boutique.
(b) Her friend's suitcase.
(c) A second-hand store.
(d) Her mother's closet.
4. After they return to France, who lives with the mother?
(a) The older brother.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The younger brother.
5. Who in the novel is especially terrorized and lives their life in a shadow of fear?
(a) The younger brother.
(c) The mother.
(d) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator get her dresses?
2. Why does the older brother leave the colony to return to France?
3. How long does Dô stay with the mother?
4. Where had the father been appointed to a new job before his death?
5. What helps to awaken the narrator's sexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's relationship with her family later in life?
2. How was the narrator able to understand colonial life at such an early age?
3. Would the brothers and the narrator be considered to be equals?
4. Describe the character of Hélène Lagonelle.
5. What does the lover fear that the narrator wants from the relationship, and how does the narrator respond?
6. What compels the Chinese financier to approach the narrator?
7. Explain why the relationship would not have lasted even if the narrator would have remained in Chochinchina.
8. How are the family treated in Chochinchina? Why?
9. Notice the difference in the mother and narrator's opinions of photography. What is the difference, and what does it point out about the difference in these characters?
10. In segment 13, what happens between the narrator and the lover that results in the narrator being turned off by the lover for the first time?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)