|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which best describes the narrator's use of make-up?
(a) She wears only lipstick.
(b) She wears heavy make-up.
(c) She wears light make-up.
(d) She doesn't wear make-up.
2. Which item is NOT a part of the ensemble worn by the narrator?
(a) A man's belt.
(b) A man's hat.
(c) Gold lamé shoes.
(d) Lace gloves.
3. Why does the older brother leave the colony to return to France?
(a) To meet his future wife.
(b) Because he fights too much with his siblings.
(c) Because he is ill.
(d) To obtain a technical education.
4. While living in the French colony of Chochinchina, in what city is the narrator's school located?
(a) Can Tho.
(d) Bien Hoa.
5. Who drives a Citroën B12?
(a) The mother.
(b) The lover.
(c) The older brother.
(d) Hélène Lagonelle.
6. The narrator has ____ older sibling(s).
7. The lover comments that it is rare to see a white girl ________.
(a) On a native bus.
(b) On a ferry.
(c) In Chochinchina.
(d) In a man's hat.
8. How long does Dô stay with the mother?
(a) Until the mother's death.
(b) Until the narrator's affair.
(c) Until Dô's death.
(d) Until the family leaves for France.
9. Between which years do most of the action referred to in the novel take place?
10. What is the name of the family's loyal domestic servant?
11. What is the mother obsessed with in regards to the narrator?
(a) Having her marry the lover.
(b) Her being a great writer.
(c) Sending her to France.
(d) Having her escape poverty.
12. What does the narrator praise of Hélène Lagonelle's?
(a) Her long, flowing hair.
(b) Her body's sexual virtues.
(c) Her family's fine home.
(d) Her grades.
13. Who is a competent tailor?
(b) The mother.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Hélène Lagonelle.
14. The major events recalled in the novel about the time the family lived in Chochinchina happen when the narrator is _________ years old.
(a) Fifteen and one half.
(b) Eighteen and one half.
(c) Sixteen and one half.
(d) Seventeen and one half.
15. What does the narrator consider takes a personal toll on women?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Colonial life.
(c) Going to school.
(d) Having children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although seemingly impossible, according to society at the time, what could the wives of the colonial potentates have done to keep their husbands from straying?
2. After they return to France, who lives with the mother?
3. Where does the narrator get her dresses?
4. What subject does the narrator excel in?
5. At what age does the narrator leave Chochinchina for Paris?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)