• An unnamed narrator who appears old with a "ravaged" face, looks back over the years of her youth when she was beautiful.
• The narrator recalls the time when she was fifteen and a half and her family lived in French Indochina.
• The narrator's family includes two older brothers, one who is cruel and one who is fearful, and a mother who attempts to plan the narrator's future.
• The family is poor but remain high in society because they are white French colonists in a mostly non-Caucasian nation.
• Everyone in the family is dead before the narrator begins telling their story.
Segments 2, 3, 4
• The narrator recalls the ferry ride where she meets the lover; the ride becomes a moment in time that is forever fixed in the narrator's memory.
• The narrator's outfit is described; it serves to turn the narrator from girl to woman and sexualizes her.
• After the...
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)