|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lindsey?
2. How old is Susie?
3. Where do Samuel and Lindsey first make love?
4. Who teaches Lindsey to put on make-up?
5. How much does Mr. Harvey have to pay the property owner for using his sinkhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth Connors begin expressing herself after she sees Susie's ghost?
2. What is Buckley's short story about?
3. Why is Lindsey so angry with her mother when she returns from California to see Jack in the hospital?
4. After she tells of her own murder, what embarrassing story about Lindsey does Susie recall?
5. Why does Jack become suspicious of Mr. Harvey's involvement in Susie's death?
6. What does Susie's heaven have?
7. Why is riding the trains comforting to Susie?
8. Who is Claire?
9. When Buckley keeps asking where his sister is immediately after her murder, why do his parents suggest going to the zoo?
10. How is the sinkhole going to be filled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Susie end up getting justice for her death? Explain why or why not, making sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The "Snapshots" chapter is unlike any other in The Lovely Bones. Discuss what function it serves in the text and why Sebold may have chosen to switch to this style in the middle of the novel (and then switch back in the very next chapter).
Essay Topic 3
How is the character of Buckley used by Sebold to develop other characters and explain their emotional states throughout the novel? Make sure to use at least three different examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)