|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Franny?
2. What is the weather like when Mr. Harvey and Jack work on Mr. Harvey's backyard project in Chapter 4?
3. Why is Ruth's mother pleased to find her daughter smoking in the shed?
4. What does Det. Fenerman believe Mr. Harvey's late wife was called?
5. Where does The Lovely Bones take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the first picture Susie takes of her mother so memorable to Susie?
2. How do Buckley's family members respond when he mentions that he sees Susie all the time after her death?
3. Why does Jack become suspicious of Mr. Harvey's involvement in Susie's death?
4. Who is Claire?
5. After Susie is murdered, what does Jack want desperately from his dead daughter?
6. How does Mr. Harvey ultimately kill Susie?
7. When Samuel Heckler first meets the Salmon family, what does the reader learn about him?
8. What does Susie's heaven have?
9. Why do Ray and Ruth decide Susie must be happier after her murder?
10. How does Susie describe heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As The Lovely Bones progresses, the Salmon family continues to unravel. Discuss the main reason why the family unravels, what exact moment the unraveling begins, and when the unraveling is completed. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Susie's entering Ruth's body and then making love to Ray makes the leap from fiction to fantasy. Write an argument explaining why this leap does or does not work with the text and what literary devices Sebold uses to make the leap.
Essay Topic 3
Does Susie end up getting justice for her death? Explain why or why not, making sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)