|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How difficult was it for Mr. Harvey to lure Susie to his secret room?
2. Who does not attend Susie's memorial service?
3. What is the name of the symposium Lindsey attends with her classmates?
4. Who comforts Jack when he is found sobbing in Susie's room after his emotions bubble to the surface for the first time after Susie's death?
5. What did Mr. Harvey's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Susie realize, while watching from her heaven, about her family after she has entered (and left) Ruth's body?
2. What does Susie confess to Ray as he prepares to go visit the sinkhole before it is to be filled in?
3. What leads Grandma Lynn to believe that Mr. Harvey is involved in Susie's killing?
4. When Buckley keeps asking where his sister is immediately after her murder, why do his parents suggest going to the zoo?
5. What is Buckley's short story about?
6. What evidence does Jack give Detective Fenerman when he first calls to report Mr. Harvey as a suspect?
7. Who is Claire?
8. What does the reader learn about Susie from how easily she goes into Mr. Harvey's secret room?
9. What is bothering Jack while he is helping Lindsey learn how to shave her legs?
10. When Lindsey and Ruth are up late talking about Susie at the symposium, what does Ruth say her bad dreams are about?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Susie remain in her heaven for so long? Make sure to discuss at least three reasons why, as well as what was eventually needed for her to leave. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The "Snapshots" chapter is unlike any other in The Lovely Bones. Discuss what function it serves in the text and why Sebold may have chosen to switch to this style in the middle of the novel (and then switch back in the very next chapter).
Essay Topic 3
Does Susie end up getting justice for her death? Explain why or why not, making sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)