|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the symposium Lindsey attends with her classmates?
2. Which character tries to get Lindsey to talk about her emotions right after Susie dies?
3. How old is Susie?
4. Who is Ruth Connors?
5. What are Susie's parents doing as Mr. Harvey is disposing of Susie's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Buckley's family members respond when he mentions that he sees Susie all the time after her death?
2. How does Ruth Connors begin expressing herself after she sees Susie's ghost?
3. When Samuel Heckler first meets the Salmon family, what does the reader learn about him?
4. How is the reader supposed to interpret Lindsey's reaction to seeing Mr. Harvey at Susie's memorial?
5. While visiting Jack in the hospital, what does Lindsey try to do to comfort him?
6. When was the last time Mr. Harvey saw his mother?
7. When Buckley keeps asking where his sister is immediately after her murder, why do his parents suggest going to the zoo?
8. What tone does the first conversations between Susie and Franny have?
9. How does Mr. Harvey ultimately kill Susie?
10. Who is Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As The Lovely Bones progresses, the Salmon family continues to unravel. Discuss the main reason why the family unravels, what exact moment the unraveling begins, and when the unraveling is completed. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unique role that Franny plays in the text. What are the benefits of having her within the novel? What are the challenges?
Essay Topic 3
The dreams (and nightmares) of several characters are explored throughout The Lovely Bones. Choose three characters, describe at least one dream (or type of dream) that character has, and discuss what it shows the reader about each character. Make sure to use quotations from the text.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)