|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Susie was still alive, why is Ruth Connors reprimanded for her drawings in art class?
2. What is the weather like when Mr. Harvey and Jack work on Mr. Harvey's backyard project in Chapter 4?
3. What is the usual final project for the symposium students?
4. How does Susie respond, in heaven, to Jack's suspicions about Mr. Harvey at first?
5. What does Lindsey say in response to her principal's apology for her family's loss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What first makes Susie start to think that there might be other heavens other than just her own?
2. While visiting Jack in the hospital, what does Lindsey try to do to comfort him?
3. Why do Ray and Ruth decide Susie must be happier after her murder?
4. What does Jack's breaking of the ships in the bottle symbolize?
5. After Susie is murdered, what does Jack want desperately from his dead daughter?
6. How does Mr. Harvey dispose of Susie's body?
7. What does Susie's heaven have?
8. How do Buckley's family members respond when he mentions that he sees Susie all the time after her death?
9. Who is Claire?
10. When Buckley keeps asking where his sister is immediately after her murder, why do his parents suggest going to the zoo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Lovely Bones, there are several situations where characters come to a realization about something, but not an acceptance about it. In a well-structured essay, discuss 1) the difference between realizing something and accepting it, 2) at least two situations/characters where this discrepancy is obvious, and 3) when, if ever, these characters come to accept something that they had earlier only realized.
Essay Topic 2
As The Lovely Bones progresses, the Salmon family continues to unravel. Discuss the main reason why the family unravels, what exact moment the unraveling begins, and when the unraveling is completed. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning fairly early in the novel, several characters claim to see Susie's ghost. Name two of these characters; discuss the circumstances of when, how, and where they see Susie; and describe how these early "sightings" can be interpreted as foreshadowing Susie's reappearance at the end of the novel.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)