|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informs Susie's family that part of her body has been found?
2. How do the neighbors feel about Mr. Harvey?
3. What is the character Joe Ellis usually blamed for?
4. What gift did Susie receive for Christmas when she was eleven?
5. When Buckley asks Nate if he sees his dead sister, what does Nate say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ruth a celebrity in Susie's heaven?
2. While visiting Jack in the hospital, what does Lindsey try to do to comfort him?
3. While eating apple pie that Ruana brought to the Salmon family, what do Samuel and Lindsey learn about the house they want to fix up?
4. How does Susie know her way around Hal's bike shop?
5. What does Susie realize, while watching from her heaven, about her family after she has entered (and left) Ruth's body?
6. What surprising advice does Ruana give Jack about what to do about his suspicions of Mr. Harvey?
7. When Lindsey and Ruth are up late talking about Susie at the symposium, what does Ruth say her bad dreams are about?
8. Why is Mr. Harvey's death from the icicle especially symbolic?
9. Why does Nate have such a hard time believing Buckley when he says he sees his sister's ghost?
10. How do the police respond to Jack's constant phone calls about Mr. Harvey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beginning fairly early in the novel, several characters claim to see Susie's ghost. Name two of these characters; discuss the circumstances of when, how, and where they see Susie; and describe how these early "sightings" can be interpreted as foreshadowing Susie's reappearance at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The "Snapshots" chapter is unlike any other in The Lovely Bones. Discuss what function it serves in the text and why Sebold may have chosen to switch to this style in the middle of the novel (and then switch back in the very next chapter).
Essay Topic 3
As The Lovely Bones progresses, the Salmon family continues to unravel. Discuss the main reason why the family unravels, what exact moment the unraveling begins, and when the unraveling is completed. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)