|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes Jack aback the first time he sees Ruana?
2. What is Mr. Harvey's favorite dream to have?
3. Who documents Lindsey and Samuel's budding relationship in a diary?
4. Who brings Lindsey to the hospital to see Jack?
5. Who is Lindsey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Harvey ultimately kill Susie?
2. After Susie is murdered, what does Jack want desperately from his dead daughter?
3. Why do Ray and Ruth decide Susie must be happier after her murder?
4. What tone does the first conversations between Susie and Franny have?
5. Why does Grandma Lynn at first avoid Lindsey's questions about who her father suspects was involved in Susie's murder?
6. When was the last time Mr. Harvey saw his mother?
7. How do Buckley's family members respond when he mentions that he sees Susie all the time after her death?
8. What advice did Mr. Harvey's father give to him about how to construct buildings?
9. How do the police respond to Jack's constant phone calls about Mr. Harvey?
10. When Lindsey and Ruth are up late talking about Susie at the symposium, what does Ruth say her bad dreams are about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dreams (and nightmares) of several characters are explored throughout The Lovely Bones. Choose three characters, describe at least one dream (or type of dream) that character has, and discuss what it shows the reader about each character. Make sure to use quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in The Lovely Bones come of age throughout the novel. In a well argued essay, discuss 1) whether or not Susie can ever come of age, or if she will forever be the ghost of a 14-year-old girl, and 2) if she does come of age, when and how it happens in the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, Franny reminds Susie that her family can only move on when Susie lets them go. Discuss when exactly, if at all, this happens in The Lovely Bones, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)