|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nate?
2. Who is Franny?
3. How old is Buckley when Susie dies?
4. When Susie was still alive, why is Ruth Connors reprimanded for her drawings in art class?
5. Who does not attend Susie's memorial service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Susie from how easily she goes into Mr. Harvey's secret room?
2. After Susie is murdered, what does Jack want desperately from his dead daughter?
3. Why does Nate have such a hard time believing Buckley when he says he sees his sister's ghost?
4. How does Ruth Connors begin expressing herself after she sees Susie's ghost?
5. While visiting Jack in the hospital, what does Lindsey try to do to comfort him?
6. When Samuel Heckler first meets the Salmon family, what does the reader learn about him?
7. How does Mr. Harvey react when Jack accuses him of being involved in his daughter's death?
8. How do the police respond to Jack's constant phone calls about Mr. Harvey?
9. What evidence does Jack give Detective Fenerman when he first calls to report Mr. Harvey as a suspect?
10. What does Susie's heaven have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters that appear throughout The Lovely Bones. Discuss the pros and cons of having so many characters in a text.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Susie remain in her heaven for so long? Make sure to discuss at least three reasons why, as well as what was eventually needed for her to leave. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout The Lovely Bones, there are several situations where characters come to a realization about something, but not an acceptance about it. In a well-structured essay, discuss 1) the difference between realizing something and accepting it, 2) at least two situations/characters where this discrepancy is obvious, and 3) when, if ever, these characters come to accept something that they had earlier only realized.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)