|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who no longer comes to Sir Francis' home office?
2. What book has Dennis published?
3. What does the receptionist ask Dennis that makes him visualize Sir Francis when Dennis finds him?
4. Who is Sir Francis Hinsley?
5. What church does the recording that Dennis plays discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dennis compare his present job with his time in Italy?
2. Describe the Orchid Room when Dennis visits Whispering Glades the day before Sir Francis' funeral.
3. Who is the cosmetician and what does she tell Dennis?
4. Why does the prospect of a visit to Whispering Glades fascinate Dennis?
5. What does Sir Ambrose ask of Dennis and what does Dennis find out about Sir Francis as a writer?
6. What does Aimée do to Sir Francis?
7. What does Dennis accomplish during his time in Italy?
8. Why does Sir Ambrose think Sir Francis loses his job?
9. What are the English expatriates talking about at the cricket club?
10. How does Dennis respond to finding a dead Sir Francis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Loved One interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Dennis. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Amiee. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Mr. Joyboy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of narcissism in The Loved One. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most narcissistic? Why? What are some symbols of narcissism? What are some of the behaviors of narcissism?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of denial in The Loved One. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be in some sort of denial? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Loved One. Consider not only the death of humans and animals but the comments the author makes on the ritual of death in America.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)