|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Joyboy?
2. Who comes and goes all day to the funeral home?
3. Where does Dennis go from the church?
4. What does Dennis place on the benches in the church?
5. With what is Sir Francis having difficulty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sir Ambrose think Sir Francis loses his job?
2. About what does the author warn readers?
3. What does Mr. Joyboy say about working on infants?
4. What does Sir Francis Hinsley say about Americans?
5. What does Dennis accomplish during his time in Italy?
6. Describe the Orchid Room when Dennis visits Whispering Glades the day before Sir Francis' funeral.
7. What does Dennis find when he enters the Slumber Room?
8. What racist question does the secretary ask Dennis and how does he respond?
9. What does Sir Ambrose ask of Dennis and what does Dennis find out about Sir Francis as a writer?
10. With what makeover is Sir Francis having difficulty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Loved One based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Loved One is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Loved One a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Loved One is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of narcissism in The Loved One. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most narcissistic? Why? What are some symbols of narcissism? What are some of the behaviors of narcissism?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of denial in The Loved One. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be in some sort of denial? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Loved One. Consider not only the death of humans and animals but the comments the author makes on the ritual of death in America.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)