|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the various zones on the grounds in the funeral home represent?
(a) The cremated versus those whose bodies are buried.
(b) The separation of race and nationality.
(c) Where famous versus unknown people are buried.
(d) The varying costs of burial.
2. Where does Dennis go from the church?
(a) Lake Island.
(c) The studio.
3. How was his book received?
(a) It won literary prizes.
(b) It received very poor reviews.
(c) He never published a book.
(d) It was virtually ignored.
4. How high are the letters carved into the marble slab at the funeral home?
(a) 6 inches.
(b) 3 inches.
(c) 1 foot.
(d) 3 feet.
5. What does Mr. Schultz say he needs from Dennis more than good ideas?
(b) Hard work.
(c) A willingness to take a cut in pay.
6. Where does Dennis see a marble Mickey Mouse?
(a) In a picture hanging in the vestry.
(b) In one of the side aisles of the church.
(c) In the graveyard.
(d) In a picture hanging on a stone outside the front door.
7. What is the name of the funeral home where Dennis goes?
(a) Last Rest.
(b) Whispering Hope.
(c) Whispering Glades.
(d) Eternal Rest.
8. Who does the author suggest return the book unread to where they got it?
(a) Readers who hate America.
(b) Readers who are easily upset.
(c) Readers who hate animals.
(d) Readers who are bigots.
9. What book has Dennis published?
(b) A novel about his experiences in the war.
(c) A collection of short stories.
(d) A collection of essays.
10. Where is Dennis escorted when he calls on the funeral home the day before the service of Sir Francis?
(a) Iris Room.
(b) Orchid Room.
(c) The embalming room.
(d) The financial office.
11. What is being piped through the speakers in the funeral home?
(a) A musical rendition of the 23rd psalm.
(b) "Our Father."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "Hindu Love-song."
12. How are the Englishmen described?
(a) As exiles.
(b) As loners.
(c) As artists.
(d) As losers.
13. Through what does Dennis have to pass in order to reach the reception area in the mortuary?
(a) Nothing; the reception area is right when he walks inside the building.
(b) Several rooms of caskets.
(c) Several florist rooms.
(d) Several rooms full of grieving persons.
14. What is the review about that Dennis finds an article on in Sir Francis' sock drawer?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A book of poems.
(c) A book of essays.
(d) A historical n ovel.
15. Where does Dennis decide Sir Francis should go?
(a) In the Poet's Corner.
(b) In an area between the famouns and unknown people.
(c) In the Catholic area.
(d) In the British area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Joyboy's most outstanding feature?
2. How does Sir Francis have to get to work?
3. How long does it take Aimée to paint a body?
4. What does Barlow find difficult to believe about the funeral home's structure?
5. Who is Sir Francis Hinsley?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)