A Warning and Chapter One
• The Loved One is a satire taking place in post-war America in two funeral homes, one for humans and another one for pets.
• The author warns the readers to put the book away if easily upset. Chapter one begins with a description of the surroundings.
• Two Englishmen are drinking and talking and one says that Ambrose Abercrombie will arrive soon although why he does not say.
• Sir Francis Hinsley, the elder talks about Americans and he says they are decent people who do not expect others to listen to them.
• Sir Ambrose arrives and accepts a drink from Barlow. Ambrose is just under sixty and tells his elder, Sir Francis Englishmen must stick together.
• The two are in Los Angeles working for the film studio Megalopolitan Pictures. Sir Francis was formerly their chief script writer.
• Francis is also the only knight in Hollywood...
This section contains 2,391 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)