|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
2. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
3. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
4. With whom does Helen dance at Robert's going away party?
5. Who has agreed to take care of Darrow while he heals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Annick and Helen discuss when she has dinner with Annick?
2. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
3. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
4. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
5. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
6. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
7. Where do Linh and Helen go and what is happening with Darrow?
8. What happens to Helen that has Darrow telling her she is better off without belief?
9. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
10. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)