|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Thao blame Helen?
2. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
3. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
4. Who does a soldier say were heroes?
5. Where is Robert sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
2. What happens between Darrow and Tanner at the party and what does Darrow tell Helen about Tanner?
3. Where do Linh and Helen go and what is happening with Darrow?
4. What did Linh do while away from Helen and Darrow?
5. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
6. What does Helen resent about Darrow?
7. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
8. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
9. What do Helen and Robert discuss concerning Vietnam?
10. What happens to Helen that has Darrow telling her she is better off without belief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Tatjana Soli.
2. What in Soli's background may have helped him in writing The Lotus Eaters? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)