|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
2. What does Linh wish about Darrow?
3. What seems to be receding to Helen?
4. For what does Linh berate himself?
5. What does Linh talk Helen into doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
2. What does Helen resent about Darrow?
3. What happens the morning after summer festivities and how does Helen feel about it?
4. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
5. What do Helen and Robert discuss concerning Vietnam?
6. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
7. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
8. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
9. What happens to Darrow and Anderson?
10. What did Linh do while away from Helen and Darrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Lotus Eaters help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Lotus Eaters? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Lotus Eaters to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with trust? Why? What are some symbols of trust? Symbols of distrust? What characters seem trustworthy? Untrustworthy?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Lotus Eaters. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with death? Why? What are some symbols of death? Symbols of life? What characters seem to want to die?
Essay Topic 3
The Lotus Eaters belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a mystery?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)