|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh wish about Darrow?
2. What does Helen say she needs of Linh?
3. Where is Robert sent?
4. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
5. What does Darrow want to do on the visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Linh and Helen go and what is happening with Darrow?
2. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
3. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
4. What happens to Helen that has Darrow telling her she is better off without belief?
5. What did Linh do while away from Helen and Darrow?
6. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
7. Who is Thao and what does she feel towards Linh and Helen?
8. What do Annick and Helen discuss when she has dinner with Annick?
9. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
10. Why do Tanner and Darrow get into a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with trust? Why? What are some symbols of trust? Symbols of distrust? What characters seem trustworthy? Untrustworthy?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Lotus Eaters. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with death? Why? What are some symbols of death? Symbols of life? What characters seem to want to die?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Lotus Eaters. Questions that Soli most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Soli' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Soli' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Soli and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)