|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh believe giving in to Thao's seduction will be?
2. What does Darrow say he will do with Helen?
3. How many times has Darrow's helicopter gone down?
4. What offer does Linh refuse from Robert?
5. What can Helen see in Darrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
2. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
3. What do Helen and Robert discuss concerning Vietnam?
4. What does Linh wish things were like and why aren't they?
5. What happens when Helen calls Tom?
6. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
7. What happens the morning after summer festivities and how does Helen feel about it?
8. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
9. Who is Thao and what does she feel towards Linh and Helen?
10. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Lotus Eaters is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Lotus Eaters, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Lotus Eaters. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Lotus Eaters.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Lotus Eaters. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Lotus Eaters. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)