|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Thao blame Helen?
2. Who is Thao?
3. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
4. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
5. What does Darrow say he will do with Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Annick and Helen discuss when she has dinner with Annick?
2. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
3. What do Helen and Robert discuss concerning Vietnam?
4. What does Helen resent about Darrow?
5. Where do Linh and Helen go and what is happening with Darrow?
6. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
7. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
8. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
9. What did Linh do while away from Helen and Darrow?
10. Describe the dinner Thao has for Linh.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Lotus Eaters. Questions that Soli most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Soli' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Soli' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Soli and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Lotus Eaters.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Lotus Eaters. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Lotus Eaters. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Lotus Eaters. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Soli's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Soli use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)