|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darrow say is the first thing to go when Helen talks to him?
2. What does Helen say Linh had done?
3. What does Helen tell Darrow?
4. What happens when Darrow and Anderson get on a flight together?
5. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Linh wish things were like and why aren't they?
2. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
3. What happens to Darrow and Anderson?
4. Describe Helen and Darrow's visit to a Red Cross camp.
5. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
6. Describe the dinner Thao has for Linh.
7. Why do Tanner and Darrow get into a fight?
8. What happens when Helen calls Tom?
9. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
10. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Lotus Eaters help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Lotus Eaters? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Lotus Eaters to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Tatjana Soli.
2. What in Soli's background may have helped him in writing The Lotus Eaters? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)