|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thao jealous?
2. What does Darrow want to do on the visit?
3. What does Robert ask Helen?
4. What does Linh wish about Darrow?
5. What does Helen ask Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
2. Where do Linh and Helen go and what is happening with Darrow?
3. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
4. Who is Thao and what does she feel towards Linh and Helen?
5. What does Helen resent about Darrow?
6. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
7. Describe Helen and Darrow's visit to a Red Cross camp.
8. What happens between Darrow and Tanner at the party and what does Darrow tell Helen about Tanner?
9. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
10. What happens with Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lotus Eaters belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)