|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh believe giving in to Thao's seduction will be?
2. What is in Xa?
3. What does Darrow say he will do with Helen?
4. What does Robert ask Helen?
5. What does Linh wish about Darrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Helen and Robert discuss concerning Vietnam?
2. What does Linh wish things were like and why aren't they?
3. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
4. What does Helen resent about Darrow?
5. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
6. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
7. What happens with Robert?
8. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
9. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
10. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Lotus Eaters interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Helen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sam Darrow. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Linh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Tatjana Soli.
2. What in Soli's background may have helped him in writing The Lotus Eaters? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Lotus Eaters, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Lotus Eaters. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)