|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh tell Helen he cannot do?
2. What offer does Linh refuse from Robert?
3. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
4. What can Helen see in Darrow?
5. Who has Robert been dating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
2. What happens with Robert?
3. What happens to Darrow and Anderson?
4. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
5. What do Annick and Helen discuss when she has dinner with Annick?
6. What happens the morning after summer festivities and how does Helen feel about it?
7. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
8. What happens between Darrow and Tanner at the party and what does Darrow tell Helen about Tanner?
9. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
10. Who is Thao and what does she feel towards Linh and Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Lotus Eaters help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Lotus Eaters? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Lotus Eaters to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Lotus Eaters. Questions that Soli most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Soli' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Soli' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Soli and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)