|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
2. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
3. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
4. What does Darrow tell Helen he has back in Saigon?
5. What is Robert's new position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Helen and Darrow stay? Who offers better quarters and what does Darrow say?
2. How does Helen's teaching Linh to swim change something for Linh?
3. What trip does Linh talk Helen into taking with him?
4. Why do Tanner and Darrow get into a fight?
5. What happens when Helen calls Tom?
6. What happens when Helen goes out on assignment with Captain Olsen?
7. Describe Helen and Darrow's visit to a Red Cross camp.
8. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
9. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
10. What happens to Darrow and Anderson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Lotus Eaters interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Helen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sam Darrow. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Linh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)