|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does Linh refuse from Robert?
2. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
3. What does Thao wear to the dinner she prepares for Linh?
4. Where do Helen and Darrow stay?
5. What does Darrow want to encourage Americans to do?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Lotus Eaters help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Lotus Eaters? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Lotus Eaters to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
The Lotus Eaters belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a mystery?
This section contains 3,027 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)