|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Darrow arguing with a Lieutenant in Chapter 4?
2. Why is Helen worried when she does not hear from Darrow?
3. What did Linh's father do for a living in Hanoi?
4. Where was Linh sent when he answered a Help Wanted ad?
5. What happens shortly after Linh meets his first American?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
2. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
3. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
4. What is Helen's first assignment from Gary?
5. Who does Helen meet in the Special Forces and what does she learn from him and what happens to him?
6. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow and why does he feel that way? What does he think about the picture?
7. How does Helen finally get to be seen like one of the boys?
8. What happens when Linh meets his first American?
9. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
10. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with trust? Why? What are some symbols of trust? Symbols of distrust? What characters seem trustworthy? Untrustworthy?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Lotus Eaters. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with death? Why? What are some symbols of death? Symbols of life? What characters seem to want to die?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Lotus Eaters interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Helen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sam Darrow. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Linh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)