|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to MacCrae a few weeks after Helen meets him?
2. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Darrow tell Helen during Christmas dinner?
4. Who was the first American Linh ever met?
5. How did Helen get into the field without Darrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
2. How does Linh end up working for the North?
3. How did Linh end up working for Sam Darrow?
4. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
5. What was Linh's life like before he was drafted into the army?
6. How does Helen survive in Saigon without Darrow?
7. How does Helen finally get to be seen like one of the boys?
8. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
9. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
10. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Lotus Eaters interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Helen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sam Darrow. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Linh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Tatjana Soli.
2. What in Soli's background may have helped him in writing The Lotus Eaters? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)