|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of unit is Frank MacCrae serving?
2. In what kind of unit was Helen's brother?
3. What job does Helen have in Saigon?
4. Why is Saigon in chaos?
5. Why is Helen rushing to meet Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
2. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
3. What is Helen's first assignment from Gary?
4. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
5. How does Linh end up working for the North?
6. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
7. What happens when Linh meets his first American?
8. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
9. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
10. Why is Helen stopped on the street and what happens when she is stopped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)