|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
2. What does the person who Helen meets tell her?
3. What is done to Helen when she is stopped?
4. How do Darrow, Gary and Linh feel about Helen when they meet her?
5. Why is Helen angry at Darrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
2. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
3. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
4. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
5. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
6. What does Helen do with her bags in the motel and why does she do it?
7. What happens when Linh meets his first American?
8. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
9. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
10. Who does Helen meet in the Special Forces and what does she learn from him and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Lotus Eaters is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Lotus Eaters.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Lotus Eaters. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Lotus Eaters. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
The Lotus Eaters belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a mystery?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)