|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Helen ask Darrow for help?
2. In what kind of unit was Helen's brother?
3. From what story did the quote about the Lotus Eaters come?
4. What does Helen arrange for Linh?
5. Where was Linh sent when he answered a Help Wanted ad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
2. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
3. Why does Darrow worry about Helen?
4. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
5. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow and why does he feel that way? What does he think about the picture?
6. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
7. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
8. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
9. Why is Helen stopped on the street and what happens when she is stopped?
10. What was Linh's life like before he was drafted into the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with trust? Why? What are some symbols of trust? Symbols of distrust? What characters seem trustworthy? Untrustworthy?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Lotus Eaters. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with death? Why? What are some symbols of death? Symbols of life? What characters seem to want to die?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)