Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
2. Why is Helen rushing to meet Robert?
3. What does Jack say everyone is interested in as far as Helen is concerned?
4. Who does Helen meet at the river?
5. What is Helen's brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Darrow and Tanner at the party and what does Darrow tell Helen about Tanner?
2. What does Darrow tell Helen he has in Saigon and what does he say about his life?
3. How does Helen finally get to be seen like one of the boys?
4. How does Helen survive in Saigon without Darrow?
5. What does Robert agree to do for Linh?
6. How did Linh end up working for Sam Darrow?
7. What did Linh do while away from Helen and Darrow?
8. Describe Helen and Darrow's visit to a Red Cross camp.
9. Where does Helen sleep before returning to her apartment in Cholon and what does she think in doing so?
10. Why do Tanner and Darrow get into a fight?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Lotus Eaters is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Lotus Eaters. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Soli's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Soli use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)