|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helen meet Annick?
2. What does Darrow make clear to Helen when she next sees him?
3. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Helen hear when she wakes that morning?
5. Why is Saigon in chaos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helen and Darrow's visit to a Red Cross camp.
2. What does Robert ask Helen and what is her response?
3. Describe the discussion between Mr. Bao and Linh about his marriage to Helen.
4. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
5. How does Linh end up working for the North?
6. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
7. Why does Darrow worry about Helen?
8. What do Helen and Darrow discuss concerning Linh and his helping Helen?
9. What do Annick and Helen discuss when she has dinner with Annick?
10. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lotus Eaters belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Lotus Eaters is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 3,629 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)