|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Bao know about Linh?
2. What does Jack say everyone is interested in as far as Helen is concerned?
3. What does Darrow call Helen when he meets her?
4. What does Helen give Chuong?
5. Why is Darrow arguing with a Lieutenant in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Helen and Linh board a medical helicopter?
2. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
3. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
4. What does Helen do with her bags in the motel and why does she do it?
5. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
6. Why is Helen stopped on the street and what happens when she is stopped?
7. How does Helen finally get to be seen like one of the boys?
8. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
9. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
10. What is Helen's first assignment from Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Lotus Eaters, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Lotus Eaters. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Lotus Eaters. Questions that Soli most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Soli' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Soli' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Soli and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)