|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darrow get the Lieutenant to do what Darrow wants?
2. Why does Darrow send Linh to work with Helen?
3. What is Helen's brother's name?
4. What do the taxis in Saigon look like?
5. What does Helen arrange for Linh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow and why does he feel that way? What does he think about the picture?
2. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
3. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
4. What happens when Helen and Linh board a medical helicopter?
5. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
6. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
7. What is Helen's first assignment from Gary?
8. Why is Helen stopped on the street and what happens when she is stopped?
9. How did Linh end up working for Sam Darrow?
10. What does Helen do with her bags in the motel and why does she do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Lotus Eaters.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Lotus Eaters. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Lotus Eaters. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)