|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
2. What is Curt determined to do?
3. Why do the journalists feel ashamed when coming back from a shoot?
4. How does Darrow get the Lieutenant to do what Darrow wants?
5. What does Helen think she needs to do if she is going to survive Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
2. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
3. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
4. How does Linh end up working for the North?
5. Why is Helen stopped on the street and what happens when she is stopped?
6. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
7. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
8. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
9. What is Helen's first assignment from Gary?
10. What happens when Helen and Linh board a medical helicopter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Lotus Eaters. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Soli's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Soli use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with trust? Why? What are some symbols of trust? Symbols of distrust? What characters seem trustworthy? Untrustworthy?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Lotus Eaters. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Lotus Eaters. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with death? Why? What are some symbols of death? Symbols of life? What characters seem to want to die?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)