|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Linh do before he was drafted into the army?
2. What type of stories did Helen do on Cambodia?
3. What happens to MacCrae a few weeks after Helen meets him?
4. What is Curt determined to do?
5. What does a soldier say about the Vietnamese and life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Helen meet in the Special Forces and what does she learn from him and what happens to him?
2. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
3. How does Linh end up working for the North?
4. What was Linh's life like before he was drafted into the army?
5. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow and why does he feel that way? What does he think about the picture?
6. What happens when Helen and Linh board a medical helicopter?
7. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
8. What is Helen's first assignment from Gary?
9. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
10. How does Helen survive in Saigon without Darrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Lotus Eaters. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Soli chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Soli's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Soli use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)