|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Helen and Darrow do the night they meet after dinner?
2. What does Darrow call Helen when he meets her?
3. Why does a Captain jump on Helen when she steps forward to take a picture of a grandfather?
4. What does Helen hear when she wakes that morning?
5. What happens to MacCrae a few weeks after Helen meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Linh wish things were like and why aren't they?
2. What is the final, miraculous image of the story?
3. What happens as the group of correspondents is traveling?
4. Where does Helen want to go and what happens?
5. Where do Linh and Helen go and what is happening with Darrow?
6. What does Robert agree to do for Linh?
7. What happens when Helen and Linh arrive at the embassy?
8. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
9. What does Darrow's wife win the right to do?
10. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Tatjana Soli.
2. What in Soli's background may have helped him in writing The Lotus Eaters? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Lotus Eaters based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Lotus Eaters is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Lotus Eaters a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Lotus Eaters interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Helen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Sam Darrow. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Linh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 3,524 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)