|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Helen ask Darrow for help?
2. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Helen notice about how journalist act towards each other in the field?
4. At what Air Force Base are Helen and Darrow at the opening of Chapter 4?
5. When does Linh first spot Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darrow worry about Helen?
2. What happens when Linh meets his first American?
3. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
4. What happens in the evening of Helen's first trip into the field?
5. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
6. What happens when Helen and Linh arrive at the embassy?
7. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
8. Why is Helen stopped on the street and what happens when she is stopped?
9. How does Linh end up working for the North?
10. How does Helen finally get to be seen like one of the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Lotus Eaters help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Lotus Eaters? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Lotus Eaters to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Lotus Eaters, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Lotus Eaters. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)