|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens shortly after Linh meets his first American?
2. What type of stories did Helen do on Cambodia?
3. What does Linh tell Helen he will do when she leaves that morning?
4. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
5. How does Darrow get the Lieutenant to do what Darrow wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen meet Annick and what happens when she does?
2. Why does Darrow worry about Helen?
3. Who does Helen meet in the Special Forces and what does she learn from him and what happens to him?
4. What happens when Linh meets his first American?
5. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
6. What does Helen do with her bags in the motel and why does she do it?
7. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
8. How does Helen finally get to be seen like one of the boys?
9. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
10. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Helen and Linh. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Linh and Darrow. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lotus Eaters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Lotus Eaters and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Lotus Eaters is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Lotus Eaters? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Lotus Eaters including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Lotus Eaters and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)