|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Linh's father do for a living in Hanoi?
(a) A physician.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) A professor of literature.
(d) A lawyer.
2. From what story did the quote about the Lotus Eaters come?
(a) Call of the Wild.
(b) Star Wars.
(c) The Odessey.
(d) Jane Eyre.
3. What does Helen give Chuong?
(c) A pass to get on a plane.
(d) Her film.
4. What does a soldier say about the Vietnamese and life?
(a) They do not value it like Americans.
(b) They believe life is sacred.
(c) Nothing is said about the Vietnamese and life.
(d) They have no life with the war in their country.
5. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
(a) Making him fall in love with her.
(b) Pushing him beyond his limits.
(c) Making him wonder if Vietnamese men treat their women wrong.
(d) Making him feel better about Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Saigon in chaos?
2. What does Helen think she needs to do if she is going to survive Vietnam?
3. Who was the first American Linh ever met?
4. Why is Helen rushing to meet Robert?
5. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Helen meet in the Special Forces and what does she learn from him and what happens to him?
2. How did Linh end up working for Sam Darrow?
3. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
4. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
5. What happens when Linh meets his first American?
6. What happens when Helen and Linh arrive at the embassy?
7. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow and why does he feel that way? What does he think about the picture?
8. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
9. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
10. What have Helen and Linh been doing for three years and why?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)