|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
(a) He says it doesn't matter anymore.
(b) He is an American citizen.
(c) They are married.
(d) He knows Linh.
2. Where was Linh sent when he answered a Help Wanted ad?
(b) A U.S. army base in Saigon.
(c) The Philippines.
3. What do the taxis in Saigon look like?
(a) They vary.
(b) Blue and white Renaults.
(c) White and red Renaults.
(d) Green and black Toyotas.
4. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
(a) He runs errands for the tenants.
(b) He is a good cook.
(c) He is the manager's nephew.
(d) He lives there with his mother.
5. At what Air Force Base are Helen and Darrow at the opening of Chapter 4?
(a) Dong Kwi.
(c) Bien Hoa.
(d) Hanoi Phi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen hear when she wakes that morning?
2. From what story did the quote about the Lotus Eaters come?
3. Why do Helen's bags remained packed in the motel room?
4. Why did Michael go to Vietnam?
5. What is Helen's hope concerning herself and Linh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Linh after Helen leaves him and what does Linh think about the events of the day?
2. How does Helen feel about her relationship with Darrow and how does Darrow feel about it?
3. Why does Darrow worry about Helen?
4. What happens when Helen and Linh board a medical helicopter?
5. What was Linh's life like before he was drafted into the army?
6. How does Helen meet Darrow and what happens when she does?
7. Who does Helen meet at the river and what do they discuss?
8. What happens and who does Helen meet the first time she goes into the field with Darrow?
9. What is Helen doing in the streets of Saigon when the novel opens and what does she see and do?
10. Why did Helen's brother go to Vietnam?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)