|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen tell Darrow?
(a) She is accompanying the regiment that is moving north.
(b) She is leaving him for Robert.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She can't do this life anymore.
2. What does Linh talk Helen into doing?
(a) Marrying him.
(b) Packing to go back to the States.
(c) Photographing Darrow's body before cremation.
(d) Taking a trip along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
3. What does Helen ask Robert?
(a) If he is divorcing his wife.
(b) If he is taking the whole bureau with him.
(c) If he is serious about the Swiss nurse.
(d) How he can leave Vietnam.
4. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
(a) Made it more difficult to be a good journalist.
(b) Given him a new perspective.
(c) Made life more interesting.
(d) Changed everything.
5. What does Darrow tell Helen he has back in Saigon?
(a) A bag of gold coins.
(b) A son.
(c) A will.
(d) A daughter.
6. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
(c) Too meticulous.
7. Where do Helen and Darrow visit?
(a) A Viet Cong strategy meeting.
(b) A French orphanage.
(c) A Red Cross camp for children.
(d) A Viet Cong training camp.
8. What does Darrow say about Helen to the USAID man?
(a) She is his.
(b) She is crazy.
(c) She has simple tastes.
(d) She prefers soldiers over aid workers.
9. For what does Thao blame Helen?
(a) Linh's being lost to Thao.
(b) That Linh is gone for long stretches of time.
(c) The men not paying attention to the Vietnamese women who are widows.
(d) The children in the camp not getting enough money.
10. Why is Thao jealous?
(a) She wants to be a photographer like Helen.
(b) She wants to go to the States like Mai Linh.
(c) She is jealous that Darrow is paying attention to Helen.
(d) She cannot get Linh's attention.
11. What does Darrow tell Helen he hates about himself?
(a) That he sees himself in Tanner.
(b) That he does not have the guts to leave Vietnam.
(c) That he sometimes wants to ask Helen to marry him.
(d) That he has no feelings left.
12. What does Linh tell Helen he cannot do?
13. What does Darrow want to encourage Americans to do?
(a) Send money to the Red Cross for the children.
(b) Send more money to rehabilitate wounded South Vietnamese soldiers.
(c) Refuse to join the military.
(d) Pressure the government to stop the war.
14. What does Darrow say is the first thing to go when Helen talks to him?
15. What does Linh realize about Helen?
(a) She will never love him.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) She is a fairy.
(d) She is not altogether present mentally.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helen go with two green berets?
2. What do some people wonder about Darrow?
3. What does Robert ask Helen?
4. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
5. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)