|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Linh believe giving in to Thao's seduction will be?
(a) A betrayal of his feelings for Helen.
(b) A betrayal of his brother's memory.
(c) A desecrettion of Mai's memory.
2. What is Robert's new position?
(a) Bureau Chief.
(c) Senior Correspondent.
(d) Department Head.
3. Who confronts Helen and Linh as they are traveling?
(a) A group of American deserters.
(b) A squad of Viet Cong hit men.
(c) A young woman with a baby.
(d) A boy soldier.
4. What offer does Linh refuse from Robert?
(a) To fly to the States for Darrow's funeral.
(b) To be a correspondent in Thailand.
(c) To be a correspondent in Burma.
(d) A job and American citizenship.
5. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
(d) Too meticulous.
6. What seems to be receding to Helen?
(a) The plan to return to the U. S.
(b) Her plan to stay emotionally aloof from the country.
(c) Her memories of her father's shame of her.
(d) Her plan to win a Pulitzer.
7. Who is Thao?
(a) Darrow's contact with the Viet Cong.
(b) Linh's sister-in-law.
(c) Helen's housekeeper.
(d) Linh's sister.
8. What does Linh realize about Helen?
(a) She will never love him.
(b) She is a fairy.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) She is not altogether present mentally.
9. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
(a) That he still has one child alive somewhere.
(b) His connections with the Viet Cong.
(c) That he is a deserter.
(d) The tragedy concerning his family.
10. What does Darrow say about himself?
(a) He hates the United States for starting this war.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He does not have a death wish.
(d) He is ill.
11. What do Darrow and Tanner decide?
(a) To go their separate ways once they reach Saigon.
(b) To let bygones be bygones.
(c) To have a photo shooting contest.
(d) To play a game of chess to settle their argument.
12. What does Linh tell Helen he cannot do?
13. What happens when Darrow and Anderson get on a flight together?
(b) It goes down.
(c) They are kidnapped.
(d) They have a fight.
14. Where do Helen and Darrow visit?
(a) A French orphanage.
(b) A Viet Cong training camp.
(c) A Viet Cong strategy meeting.
(d) A Red Cross camp for children.
15. What does Robert say concerns him about Darrow?
(a) Darrow is shut down emotionally.
(b) Darrow is too involved with the country.
(c) Darrow is destructive to his friends.
(d) Darrow takes unnecessary risks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Helen and Darrow stay?
2. What does Helen notice about Gary when they return to Saigon?
3. What does Linh feel for the first time since Mai's death?
4. What does Darrow want to encourage Americans to do?
5. What seems to fade into the distance for Helen?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)