|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darrow want to do on the visit?
(a) Adopt a child.
(b) Ask the Viet Cong what they want.
(c) Find Linh's brother.
(d) Take pictures of the children.
2. With whom does Helen dance at Robert's going away party?
3. What can Helen see in Darrow?
(a) That he is taking chances.
(b) That he is very depressed.
(c) That he does not care for life anymore.
(d) That he values each moment more.
4. What does Helen say she might have to make an excuse to do?
(a) Hire on with another magazine.
(b) Go back to Saigon.
(c) Leave Darrow because she is too emotionally involved.
(d) Go back to the States.
5. What does Helen say she needs of Linh?
(a) A lover.
6. Who gets into a fight at Robert's party?
(a) Darrow and Robert.
(b) Robert and Tanner.
(c) Robert and Linh.
(d) Darrow and Tanner.
7. Why was Darrow angry with Tanner?
(a) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Linh.
(b) Darrow believes Tanner is accepting bribes from the Viet Cong.
(c) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Helen.
(d) Darrow believes Tanner exploited the Vietnamese.
8. What does Linh feel for the first time since Mai's death?
(c) The touch and kindness of another.
9. Why does Linh berate Helen?
(a) She is insisting on going where press are not allowed.
(b) She is so stoic.
(c) He says she is acting like a child.
(d) For loving a dead man.
10. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
(a) They are like Americans in more ways than not.
(b) They must be left to fend for themselves.
(c) They are fragile.
(d) They are indomitable.
11. When does Linh say he will return?
(a) At the end of the month.
(b) In three months.
(d) In six months.
12. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About the mystery of life.
(b) About peace.
(c) About fairies.
(d) About Americans.
13. What does Darrow say is the first thing to go when Helen talks to him?
14. What seems to fade into the distance for Helen?
(a) Her life in the United States.
(b) Her life with her fiance.
(c) Her pain at her brother's death.
(d) The war.
15. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
(a) His life.
(b) The country of his birth.
(c) The Vietnamese.
(d) His work.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
2. What is Robert's new position?
3. What does Darrow say about himself?
4. What does Thao say the dinner is for that she makes Linh?
5. What does Robert say concerns him about Darrow?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)