|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Linh talk Helen into doing?
(a) Photographing Darrow's body before cremation.
(b) Packing to go back to the States.
(c) Marrying him.
(d) Taking a trip along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
2. Who has Robert been dating?
(a) A Swiss nurse.
(c) No one.
(d) A Vietnamese woman.
3. Who is Thao?
(a) Linh's sister.
(b) Helen's housekeeper.
(c) Linh's sister-in-law.
(d) Darrow's contact with the Viet Cong.
4. For what does Linh berate himself?
(a) For deserting the military.
(b) For working for Americans.
(c) For being foolish.
(d) For leaving his son with his brother's family.
5. Who has agreed to take care of Darrow while he heals?
(b) No one.
(c) Two men who work for USAID.
(d) Linh and Mai Long.
6. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
(a) The tragedy concerning his family.
(b) His connections with the Viet Cong.
(c) That he is a deserter.
(d) That he still has one child alive somewhere.
7. What does Helen tell Darrow?
(a) She is leaving him for Robert.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She can't do this life anymore.
(d) She is accompanying the regiment that is moving north.
8. Why does Linh berate Helen?
(a) For loving a dead man.
(b) He says she is acting like a child.
(c) She is so stoic.
(d) She is insisting on going where press are not allowed.
9. With whom does Helen dance at Robert's going away party?
10. What does Darrow tell Helen he hates about himself?
(a) That he has no feelings left.
(b) That he sees himself in Tanner.
(c) That he sometimes wants to ask Helen to marry him.
(d) That he does not have the guts to leave Vietnam.
11. What is in Xa?
(a) The base for a new campaign.
(b) Linh's extended family.
(c) Darrow who is recuperating.
(d) Where the journalists go to relax.
12. What does Helen notice about Gary when they return to Saigon?
(a) He was heavier.
(b) His hair had turned white.
(c) He was gaunt.
(d) He was very pale.
13. What does Linh tell Helen he cannot do?
14. With what does Helen become involved while she is staying with Darrow?
(a) The school.
(b) A food program for babies.
(c) Village life.
(d) One of the USAID men.
15. What does Darrow say is the first thing to go when Helen talks to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
2. What does Helen resent?
3. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
4. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
5. Where do Helen and Darrow stay?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)