|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
(a) They are fragile.
(b) They are indomitable.
(c) They are like Americans in more ways than not.
(d) They must be left to fend for themselves.
2. Who has Robert been dating?
(a) A Vietnamese woman.
(b) A Swiss nurse.
(c) No one.
3. What does Darrow want to do on the visit?
(a) Ask the Viet Cong what they want.
(b) Adopt a child.
(c) Find Linh's brother.
(d) Take pictures of the children.
4. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
(a) One of Helen.
(b) One of his village in the early dawn before the war begins.
(c) One of his dead wife.
(d) One of his still-living child.
5. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About the mystery of life.
(b) About fairies.
(c) About Americans.
(d) About peace.
6. What does Linh believe giving in to Thao's seduction will be?
(b) A betrayal of his brother's memory.
(c) A betrayal of his feelings for Helen.
(d) A desecrettion of Mai's memory.
7. Why was Darrow angry with Tanner?
(a) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Helen.
(b) Darrow believes Tanner exploited the Vietnamese.
(c) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Linh.
(d) Darrow believes Tanner is accepting bribes from the Viet Cong.
8. When does Linh say he will return?
(a) In six months.
(c) At the end of the month.
(d) In three months.
9. What gesture does Helen make as they are confronted?
(a) The international peace sign.
(b) A swipe across her neck.
(c) One of covering her eyes.
(d) The Viet Cong gesture of defiance.
10. What is Robert's new position?
(a) Senior Correspondent.
(b) Bureau Chief.
(d) Department Head.
11. What offer does Linh refuse from Robert?
(a) To fly to the States for Darrow's funeral.
(b) To be a correspondent in Burma.
(c) To be a correspondent in Thailand.
(d) A job and American citizenship.
12. How many times has Darrow's helicopter gone down?
13. What can Helen see in Darrow?
(a) That he does not care for life anymore.
(b) That he values each moment more.
(c) That he is very depressed.
(d) That he is taking chances.
14. What does Darrow want to encourage Americans to do?
(a) Send more money to rehabilitate wounded South Vietnamese soldiers.
(b) Pressure the government to stop the war.
(c) Send money to the Red Cross for the children.
(d) Refuse to join the military.
15. With what does Helen become involved while she is staying with Darrow?
(a) A food program for babies.
(b) The school.
(c) Village life.
(d) One of the USAID men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen say she might have to make an excuse to do?
2. Who has agreed to take care of Darrow while he heals?
3. What does Thao say the dinner is for that she makes Linh?
4. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
5. What is in Xa?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)