|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thao say the dinner is for that she makes Linh?
(a) To show him that his heart is still in Vietnam.
(b) No reason.
(c) To thank him for his kindness to her.
(d) To ask him an important question.
2. Why does Linh berate Helen?
(a) He says she is acting like a child.
(b) She is insisting on going where press are not allowed.
(c) For loving a dead man.
(d) She is so stoic.
3. Where is Robert sent?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
4. How does Darrow say Helen should view Linh?
(a) As a man from a very patriarchal culture.
(b) As a spy.
(c) As her guardian angel.
(d) As the enemy.
5. For what does Thao blame Helen?
(a) The children in the camp not getting enough money.
(b) The men not paying attention to the Vietnamese women who are widows.
(c) That Linh is gone for long stretches of time.
(d) Linh's being lost to Thao.
6. What does Thao wear to the dinner she prepares for Linh?
(a) An American-style outfit.
(b) One of Helen's dresses.
(c) Her village clothing.
(d) A new outfit.
7. What gesture does Helen make as they are confronted?
(a) A swipe across her neck.
(b) One of covering her eyes.
(c) The Viet Cong gesture of defiance.
(d) The international peace sign.
8. What happens to Samuels?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is reassigned to Laos.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He is sent home to the States.
9. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
(a) By sending Helen home.
(b) By marrying Helen.
(c) By going to the States and talking to Darrow's wife in person.
(d) By taking over Darrow's work.
10. Who confronts Helen and Linh as they are traveling?
(a) A young woman with a baby.
(b) A boy soldier.
(c) A group of American deserters.
(d) A squad of Viet Cong hit men.
11. What does one of the USAID men offer Helen?
(a) A new camera.
(b) A ticket back to the United States.
(d) A better situation.
12. Where does Helen go with two green berets?
(a) To the jungles just south of Hanoi.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To the morgue.
(d) To the crash site.
13. Why is Thao jealous?
(a) She is jealous that Darrow is paying attention to Helen.
(b) She wants to be a photographer like Helen.
(c) She wants to go to the States like Mai Linh.
(d) She cannot get Linh's attention.
14. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
(a) Made life more interesting.
(b) Made it more difficult to be a good journalist.
(c) Changed everything.
(d) Given him a new perspective.
15. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About Americans.
(b) About the mystery of life.
(c) About fairies.
(d) About peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Linh berate himself?
2. How many times has Darrow's helicopter gone down?
3. What does Darrow say about himself?
4. What is in Xa?
5. What does Darrow say he will do with Helen?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)