|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens the morning after the summer festivities end?
(a) It is time to go back to Saigon.
(b) Darrow is shot by accident.
(c) Helen learns she is pregnant.
(d) Linh is injured badly.
2. What seems to be receding to Helen?
(a) Her memories of her father's shame of her.
(b) Her plan to win a Pulitzer.
(c) Her plan to stay emotionally aloof from the country.
(d) The plan to return to the U. S.
3. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
(a) They are like Americans in more ways than not.
(b) They are indomitable.
(c) They are fragile.
(d) They must be left to fend for themselves.
4. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
(a) The tragedy concerning his family.
(b) His connections with the Viet Cong.
(c) That he still has one child alive somewhere.
(d) That he is a deserter.
5. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
(a) Takes up painting.
(b) Visits his young son.
(c) Shoots some film himself.
(d) Visits his family village and visits Mr. Bao.
6. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
(a) One of his still-living child.
(b) One of his village in the early dawn before the war begins.
(c) One of his dead wife.
(d) One of Helen.
7. What does Darrow want to do on the visit?
(a) Ask the Viet Cong what they want.
(b) Find Linh's brother.
(c) Adopt a child.
(d) Take pictures of the children.
8. What happens to Samuels?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is sent home to the States.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He is reassigned to Laos.
9. What does Darrow tell Helen he has back in Saigon?
(a) A daughter.
(b) A bag of gold coins.
(c) A son.
(d) A will.
10. What does Darrow say about Helen to the USAID man?
(a) She prefers soldiers over aid workers.
(b) She is crazy.
(c) She is his.
(d) She has simple tastes.
11. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
(a) Her father's final words as she was leaving the States.
(b) Leaving Vietnam.
(c) Her brother.
(d) What has happened to some of the soldiers she met in the field.
12. For what does Thao blame Helen?
(a) The men not paying attention to the Vietnamese women who are widows.
(b) Linh's being lost to Thao.
(c) That Linh is gone for long stretches of time.
(d) The children in the camp not getting enough money.
13. For what does Linh berate himself?
(a) For being foolish.
(b) For working for Americans.
(c) For leaving his son with his brother's family.
(d) For deserting the military.
14. With whom does Helen dance at Robert's going away party?
15. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
(a) By sending Helen home.
(b) By taking over Darrow's work.
(c) By marrying Helen.
(d) By going to the States and talking to Darrow's wife in person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darrow say about himself?
2. What does Linh believe giving in to Thao's seduction will be?
3. What does Helen say Robert would do if she agreed to his request?
4. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
5. What does Linh realize about Helen?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)