|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
(a) One of his dead wife.
(b) One of his still-living child.
(c) One of Helen.
(d) One of his village in the early dawn before the war begins.
2. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
(b) Too meticulous.
3. What does Darrow want to do on the visit?
(a) Find Linh's brother.
(b) Adopt a child.
(c) Ask the Viet Cong what they want.
(d) Take pictures of the children.
4. For what does Thao blame Helen?
(a) The children in the camp not getting enough money.
(b) That Linh is gone for long stretches of time.
(c) Linh's being lost to Thao.
(d) The men not paying attention to the Vietnamese women who are widows.
5. What gesture does Helen make as they are confronted?
(a) The Viet Cong gesture of defiance.
(b) A swipe across her neck.
(c) The international peace sign.
(d) One of covering her eyes.
6. What is Robert's new position?
(a) Senior Correspondent.
(b) Bureau Chief.
(d) Department Head.
7. Why does Linh berate Helen?
(a) She is so stoic.
(b) She is insisting on going where press are not allowed.
(c) He says she is acting like a child.
(d) For loving a dead man.
8. When does Linh say he will return?
(a) In six months.
(c) At the end of the month.
(d) In three months.
9. What does Darrow tell Helen he hates about himself?
(a) That he does not have the guts to leave Vietnam.
(b) That he sees himself in Tanner.
(c) That he sometimes wants to ask Helen to marry him.
(d) That he has no feelings left.
10. What does Robert say concerns him about Darrow?
(a) Darrow takes unnecessary risks.
(b) Darrow is too involved with the country.
(c) Darrow is shut down emotionally.
(d) Darrow is destructive to his friends.
11. Who fights with Tanner about taking the picture?
(d) No one.
12. What does Thao wear to the dinner she prepares for Linh?
(a) A new outfit.
(b) Her village clothing.
(c) One of Helen's dresses.
(d) An American-style outfit.
13. What does Darrow tell Helen he has back in Saigon?
(a) A will.
(b) A bag of gold coins.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A son.
14. Why was Darrow angry with Tanner?
(a) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Linh.
(b) Darrow believes Tanner exploited the Vietnamese.
(c) Darrow believes Tanner is accepting bribes from the Viet Cong.
(d) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Helen.
15. What does Darrow say he will do with Helen?
(a) Go north towards Hanoi.
(b) Leave Vietnam.
(c) Write a book.
(d) Create a photo history of the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darrow say about Helen to the USAID man?
2. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
3. What does Robert ask Helen?
4. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
5. What does Helen say Robert would do if she agreed to his request?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)