|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the USAID men offer Helen?
(a) A new camera.
(c) A ticket back to the United States.
(d) A better situation.
2. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
(a) Made it more difficult to be a good journalist.
(b) Made life more interesting.
(c) Given him a new perspective.
(d) Changed everything.
3. What does Robert say concerns him about Darrow?
(a) Darrow is destructive to his friends.
(b) Darrow takes unnecessary risks.
(c) Darrow is shut down emotionally.
(d) Darrow is too involved with the country.
4. What does Helen resent?
(a) Darrow assuming she will stay with him.
(b) Darrow wanting her to leave.
(c) Linh's patronizing.
(d) The two USAID men's sexism.
5. Who does a soldier say were heroes?
(a) No one.
(b) Darrow and Anderson.
(c) Anderson and the pilot.
(d) Darrow and Linh.
6. With whom does Helen dance at Robert's going away party?
7. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
(a) They are fragile.
(b) They must be left to fend for themselves.
(c) They are like Americans in more ways than not.
(d) They are indomitable.
8. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About Americans.
(b) About the mystery of life.
(c) About fairies.
(d) About peace.
9. What does Linh tell Helen he cannot do?
10. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Leaving Vietnam.
(c) Her father's final words as she was leaving the States.
(d) What has happened to some of the soldiers she met in the field.
11. What does Thao say the dinner is for that she makes Linh?
(a) No reason.
(b) To thank him for his kindness to her.
(c) To show him that his heart is still in Vietnam.
(d) To ask him an important question.
12. What does Darrow tell Helen he hates about himself?
(a) That he sees himself in Tanner.
(b) That he has no feelings left.
(c) That he sometimes wants to ask Helen to marry him.
(d) That he does not have the guts to leave Vietnam.
13. What happens the morning after the summer festivities end?
(a) Linh is injured badly.
(b) Darrow is shot by accident.
(c) Helen learns she is pregnant.
(d) It is time to go back to Saigon.
14. What does Darrow tell Helen he has back in Saigon?
(a) A son.
(b) A bag of gold coins.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A will.
15. What is Robert's new position?
(b) Bureau Chief.
(c) Department Head.
(d) Senior Correspondent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linh wish about Darrow?
2. Where does Helen go with two green berets?
3. What does Darrow say is the first thing to go when Helen talks to him?
4. What happens to Samuels?
5. Who confronts Helen and Linh as they are traveling?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)