|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thao wear to the dinner she prepares for Linh?
(a) A new outfit.
(b) One of Helen's dresses.
(c) An American-style outfit.
(d) Her village clothing.
2. What does Helen say Robert would do if she agreed to his request?
(a) Drop dead.
(b) Be happy for a day only.
(c) Be sorry.
(d) Be tired of her within a week.
3. Where do Helen and Darrow visit?
(a) A Viet Cong training camp.
(b) A French orphanage.
(c) A Red Cross camp for children.
(d) A Viet Cong strategy meeting.
4. With whom does Helen dance at Robert's going away party?
5. What do Darrow and Tanner decide?
(a) To go their separate ways once they reach Saigon.
(b) To let bygones be bygones.
(c) To play a game of chess to settle their argument.
(d) To have a photo shooting contest.
6. When does Linh say he will return?
(a) In six months.
(b) In three months.
(d) At the end of the month.
7. What does Helen tell Darrow?
(a) She is leaving him for Robert.
(b) She is accompanying the regiment that is moving north.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She can't do this life anymore.
8. How long will it take Darrow's arm to heal?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 2 months.
9. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
(a) They are fragile.
(b) They are like Americans in more ways than not.
(c) They are indomitable.
(d) They must be left to fend for themselves.
10. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About peace.
(b) About the mystery of life.
(c) About fairies.
(d) About Americans.
11. Who is Thao?
(a) Helen's housekeeper.
(b) Linh's sister.
(c) Darrow's contact with the Viet Cong.
(d) Linh's sister-in-law.
12. What does Linh talk Helen into doing?
(a) Taking a trip along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(b) Marrying him.
(c) Photographing Darrow's body before cremation.
(d) Packing to go back to the States.
13. What do some people wonder about Darrow?
(a) If he is deliberately cruel.
(b) If he deliberately puts himself in danger.
(c) If his luck is going to run out.
(d) If he will ever leave Vietnam.
14. What does Helen resent?
(a) The two USAID men's sexism.
(b) Darrow wanting her to leave.
(c) Linh's patronizing.
(d) Darrow assuming she will stay with him.
15. What does Helen ask Robert?
(a) How he can leave Vietnam.
(b) If he is serious about the Swiss nurse.
(c) If he is taking the whole bureau with him.
(d) If he is divorcing his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in Xa?
2. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
3. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
4. What does Linh feel for the first time since Mai's death?
5. What does Linh believe giving in to Thao's seduction will be?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)