|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Linh berate himself?
(a) For working for Americans.
(b) For being foolish.
(c) For leaving his son with his brother's family.
(d) For deserting the military.
2. What happens the morning after the summer festivities end?
(a) Linh is injured badly.
(b) Darrow is shot by accident.
(c) It is time to go back to Saigon.
(d) Helen learns she is pregnant.
3. What gesture does Helen make as they are confronted?
(a) One of covering her eyes.
(b) The Viet Cong gesture of defiance.
(c) A swipe across her neck.
(d) The international peace sign.
4. Who fights with Tanner about taking the picture?
(a) No one.
5. What does Linh realize about Helen?
(a) She is not altogether present mentally.
(b) She will never love him.
(c) She is a fairy.
(d) He is in love with her.
6. What does Darrow tell Helen he has back in Saigon?
(a) A bag of gold coins.
(b) A daughter.
(c) A will.
(d) A son.
7. Where is Robert sent?
(a) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
8. Who is Thao?
(a) Darrow's contact with the Viet Cong.
(b) Linh's sister.
(c) Helen's housekeeper.
(d) Linh's sister-in-law.
9. What does Darrow say he did not care about for a long time?
(a) His life.
(b) The country of his birth.
(c) The Vietnamese.
(d) His work.
10. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
(a) By going to the States and talking to Darrow's wife in person.
(b) By taking over Darrow's work.
(c) By sending Helen home.
(d) By marrying Helen.
11. What does Helen ask Robert?
(a) If he is taking the whole bureau with him.
(b) If he is divorcing his wife.
(c) If he is serious about the Swiss nurse.
(d) How he can leave Vietnam.
12. When does Linh say he will return?
(b) At the end of the month.
(c) In six months.
(d) In three months.
13. How does Darrow say Helen should view Linh?
(a) As her guardian angel.
(b) As a spy.
(c) As a man from a very patriarchal culture.
(d) As the enemy.
14. What does Helen tell Darrow?
(a) She is accompanying the regiment that is moving north.
(b) She is leaving him for Robert.
(c) She can't do this life anymore.
(d) She is pregnant.
15. Who has agreed to take care of Darrow while he heals?
(a) Two men who work for USAID.
(c) No one.
(d) Linh and Mai Long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
2. What does Helen say Linh had done?
3. For what does Thao blame Helen?
4. Why was Darrow angry with Tanner?
5. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)