|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen tell Darrow?
(a) She is leaving him for Robert.
(b) She can't do this life anymore.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is accompanying the regiment that is moving north.
2. Who has agreed to take care of Darrow while he heals?
(b) No one.
(c) Linh and Mai Long.
(d) Two men who work for USAID.
3. What does Darrow say is the first thing to go when Helen talks to him?
4. Who fights with Tanner about taking the picture?
(d) No one.
5. How does Darrow say Helen should view Linh?
(a) As a spy.
(b) As a man from a very patriarchal culture.
(c) As the enemy.
(d) As her guardian angel.
6. What is Robert's new position?
(a) Bureau Chief.
(c) Senior Correspondent.
(d) Department Head.
7. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
(a) Visits his young son.
(b) Visits his family village and visits Mr. Bao.
(c) Takes up painting.
(d) Shoots some film himself.
8. What does Linh realize about Helen?
(a) She is a fairy.
(b) She is not altogether present mentally.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) She will never love him.
9. Who confronts Helen and Linh as they are traveling?
(a) A squad of Viet Cong hit men.
(b) A group of American deserters.
(c) A boy soldier.
(d) A young woman with a baby.
10. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About fairies.
(b) About Americans.
(c) About peace.
(d) About the mystery of life.
11. What can Helen see in Darrow?
(a) That he is taking chances.
(b) That he does not care for life anymore.
(c) That he is very depressed.
(d) That he values each moment more.
12. Where do Helen and Darrow visit?
(a) A French orphanage.
(b) A Viet Cong strategy meeting.
(c) A Red Cross camp for children.
(d) A Viet Cong training camp.
13. Where is Robert sent?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
14. Why does Linh berate Helen?
(a) She is so stoic.
(b) She is insisting on going where press are not allowed.
(c) He says she is acting like a child.
(d) For loving a dead man.
15. What does Helen ask Robert?
(a) How he can leave Vietnam.
(b) If he is taking the whole bureau with him.
(c) If he is divorcing his wife.
(d) If he is serious about the Swiss nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the morning after the summer festivities end?
2. What does Helen resent?
3. What does Linh wish about Darrow?
4. What does Robert ask Helen?
5. What does Helen notice about Gary when they return to Saigon?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)