|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Helen become involved while she is staying with Darrow?
(a) A food program for babies.
(b) One of the USAID men.
(c) Village life.
(d) The school.
2. What does Linh feel for the first time since Mai's death?
(d) The touch and kindness of another.
3. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
(c) Too meticulous.
4. What happens to Samuels?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is reassigned to Laos.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He is sent home to the States.
5. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
(a) Changed everything.
(b) Made it more difficult to be a good journalist.
(c) Made life more interesting.
(d) Given him a new perspective.
6. What does Helen tell Darrow?
(a) She is accompanying the regiment that is moving north.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is leaving him for Robert.
(d) She can't do this life anymore.
7. When does Linh say he will return?
(a) At the end of the month.
(c) In three months.
(d) In six months.
8. Why is Thao jealous?
(a) She is jealous that Darrow is paying attention to Helen.
(b) She wants to be a photographer like Helen.
(c) She cannot get Linh's attention.
(d) She wants to go to the States like Mai Linh.
9. What stories does Linh tell children while he was away?
(a) About the mystery of life.
(b) About Americans.
(c) About peace.
(d) About fairies.
10. What does Darrow tell Helen he hates about himself?
(a) That he sees himself in Tanner.
(b) That he has no feelings left.
(c) That he sometimes wants to ask Helen to marry him.
(d) That he does not have the guts to leave Vietnam.
11. How does Linh decide he can pay tribute to Darrow?
(a) By going to the States and talking to Darrow's wife in person.
(b) By sending Helen home.
(c) By taking over Darrow's work.
(d) By marrying Helen.
12. What does Helen say she needs of Linh?
(b) A lover.
13. What does Helen say Robert would do if she agreed to his request?
(a) Be tired of her within a week.
(b) Be happy for a day only.
(c) Drop dead.
(d) Be sorry.
14. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
(a) Visits his young son.
(b) Visits his family village and visits Mr. Bao.
(c) Takes up painting.
(d) Shoots some film himself.
15. What is in Xa?
(a) The base for a new campaign.
(b) Linh's extended family.
(c) Where the journalists go to relax.
(d) Darrow who is recuperating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to fade into the distance for Helen?
2. What does one of the USAID men offer Helen?
3. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
4. Who is Thao?
5. What does Linh realize about Helen?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)