|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
(a) One of Helen.
(b) One of his village in the early dawn before the war begins.
(c) One of his dead wife.
(d) One of his still-living child.
2. What does Helen say she might have to make an excuse to do?
(a) Hire on with another magazine.
(b) Leave Darrow because she is too emotionally involved.
(c) Go back to the States.
(d) Go back to Saigon.
3. What happens the morning after the summer festivities end?
(a) Linh is injured badly.
(b) Darrow is shot by accident.
(c) It is time to go back to Saigon.
(d) Helen learns she is pregnant.
4. Who does a soldier say were heroes?
(a) No one.
(b) Anderson and the pilot.
(c) Darrow and Linh.
(d) Darrow and Anderson.
5. Why was Darrow angry with Tanner?
(a) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Linh.
(b) Darrow believes Tanner exploited the Vietnamese.
(c) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Helen.
(d) Darrow believes Tanner is accepting bribes from the Viet Cong.
6. For what does Thao blame Helen?
(a) That Linh is gone for long stretches of time.
(b) Linh's being lost to Thao.
(c) The men not paying attention to the Vietnamese women who are widows.
(d) The children in the camp not getting enough money.
7. What does Darrow want to encourage Americans to do?
(a) Refuse to join the military.
(b) Send money to the Red Cross for the children.
(c) Send more money to rehabilitate wounded South Vietnamese soldiers.
(d) Pressure the government to stop the war.
8. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
(a) Made it more difficult to be a good journalist.
(b) Made life more interesting.
(c) Given him a new perspective.
(d) Changed everything.
9. What does Robert ask Helen?
(a) To go back to the States with him.
(b) To stay away from Linh.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To stay away from Darrow.
10. Why does Linh berate Helen?
(a) For loving a dead man.
(b) She is insisting on going where press are not allowed.
(c) She is so stoic.
(d) He says she is acting like a child.
11. Who is Thao?
(a) Linh's sister-in-law.
(b) Linh's sister.
(c) Darrow's contact with the Viet Cong.
(d) Helen's housekeeper.
12. What does Linh realize about Helen?
(a) She is a fairy.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) She will never love him.
(d) She is not altogether present mentally.
13. What does Thao say the dinner is for that she makes Linh?
(a) To show him that his heart is still in Vietnam.
(b) To thank him for his kindness to her.
(c) To ask him an important question.
(d) No reason.
14. What does Helen learn about the Vietnamese?
(a) They are fragile.
(b) They are indomitable.
(c) They must be left to fend for themselves.
(d) They are like Americans in more ways than not.
15. With what does Helen become involved while she is staying with Darrow?
(a) One of the USAID men.
(b) A food program for babies.
(c) The school.
(d) Village life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen learn about concerning Linh?
2. What does Helen say Robert would do if she agreed to his request?
3. What does Linh feel for the first time since Mai's death?
4. What did Linh do while separated from Darrow and Helen?
5. What does Helen say she needs of Linh?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)