|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Linh say having Helen around has done?
(a) Changed everything.
(b) Given him a new perspective.
(c) Made life more interesting.
(d) Made it more difficult to be a good journalist.
2. What does Linh feel for the first time since Mai's death?
(d) The touch and kindness of another.
3. How many times has Darrow's helicopter gone down?
4. Where does Helen go with two green berets?
(a) To the jungles just south of Hanoi.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To the morgue.
(d) To the crash site.
5. What does Helen resent?
(a) Darrow wanting her to leave.
(b) Darrow assuming she will stay with him.
(c) The two USAID men's sexism.
(d) Linh's patronizing.
6. What happens when Darrow and Anderson get on a flight together?
(b) They have a fight.
(c) They are kidnapped.
(d) It goes down.
7. Why was Darrow angry with Tanner?
(a) Darrow believes Tanner is accepting bribes from the Viet Cong.
(b) Darrow believes Tanner exploited the Vietnamese.
(c) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Linh.
(d) Darrow believes Tanner is rude to Helen.
8. With what does Helen become involved while she is staying with Darrow?
(a) The school.
(b) A food program for babies.
(c) One of the USAID men.
(d) Village life.
9. What does Robert ask Helen?
(a) To go back to the States with him.
(b) To stay away from Linh.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To stay away from Darrow.
10. For what does Thao blame Helen?
(a) Linh's being lost to Thao.
(b) That Linh is gone for long stretches of time.
(c) The men not paying attention to the Vietnamese women who are widows.
(d) The children in the camp not getting enough money.
11. What does Linh say Darrow must be getting?
(a) Too meticulous.
12. What does Helen ask Robert?
(a) If he is serious about the Swiss nurse.
(b) If he is divorcing his wife.
(c) How he can leave Vietnam.
(d) If he is taking the whole bureau with him.
13. To what do Helen's thoughts eventually return?
(a) Her brother.
(b) What has happened to some of the soldiers she met in the field.
(c) Her father's final words as she was leaving the States.
(d) Leaving Vietnam.
14. What does Helen say she needs of Linh?
(a) A lover.
15. Why is Thao jealous?
(a) She wants to be a photographer like Helen.
(b) She cannot get Linh's attention.
(c) She wants to go to the States like Mai Linh.
(d) She is jealous that Darrow is paying attention to Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confronts Helen and Linh as they are traveling?
2. What seems to fade into the distance for Helen?
3. What picture does Linh stare at while he is dreaming?
4. Who does a soldier say were heroes?
5. What does Thao wear to the dinner she prepares for Linh?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)