|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
(a) He runs errands for the tenants.
(b) He is the manager's nephew.
(c) He lives there with his mother.
(d) He is a good cook.
2. What does Mr. Bao know about Linh?
(a) That Linh wants to secretly kill Darrow.
(b) That Linh is a deserter.
(c) That Linh speaks English.
(d) That Linh's family is alive.
3. What job does Helen have in Saigon?
(b) She has no job but is married to a Vietnamese.
(c) Civilian secretary for the army.
(d) USO performer.
4. Why is Saigon in chaos?
(a) The mayor of Saigon has died.
(b) The Comnmunists are on the outskirts of the city.
(c) The Americans have surrounded the city.
(d) There is an ongoing drought.
5. Why did Michael go to Vietnam?
(a) To help stop the war from the inside.
(b) To follow in his father's footsteps.
(c) He was drafted.
(d) To stop communism.
6. What does Linh try to teach Darrow?
(a) How to care for his equipment in the humid jungle.
(b) About the country of Vietnam.
(c) How to speak to a Vietnamese woman.
(d) Why the communists are winning.
7. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
(a) He knows Linh.
(b) He is an American citizen.
(c) He says it doesn't matter anymore.
(d) They are married.
8. Why does Darrow put his camera down during a battle?
(a) Darrow never puts his camera down.
(b) To rest his back.
(c) To save a wounded man.
(d) To see if Linh would pick it up.
9. How do Darrow, Gary and Linh feel about Helen when they meet her?
(a) Excited to see a female journalist.
10. What does Gary think about working with Darrow?
(a) Gary would rather work with him than anyone else.
(b) Darrow won't do his own work.
(c) He is a difficult man.
(d) He has no thoughts on working with Darrow.
11. In what kind of unit is Frank MacCrae serving?
(c) Special Forces.
12. Why does Helen not take any pictures in the field?
(a) She forgot film.
(b) Her camera's battery was too low.
(c) She was too frightened.
(d) She was only there to observe.
13. What happens when the men in the book in question #1 eat the Lotus Flower?
(a) They lose all desire to leave the meadows.
(b) They turn into monsters.
(c) They fall in love with the women there.
(d) They fall asleep and never wake up.
14. What worries Darrow about Helen the most?
(a) That she will find someone else.
(b) That she really is pregnant.
(c) That she will be killed.
(d) That she will stay in Vietnam too long.
15. What does Helen give Chuong?
(b) Her film.
(d) A pass to get on a plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Helen angry at Darrow?
2. What does Helen start to do so the soldiers will respect her?
3. Who was the first American Linh ever met?
4. What does Helen notice about how journalist act towards each other in the field?
5. How long has Helen been in Vietnam?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)