|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
(a) He is the manager's nephew.
(b) He is a good cook.
(c) He lives there with his mother.
(d) He runs errands for the tenants.
2. Where does Helen meet Annick?
(a) In a boutique.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) At a press conference.
(d) At Robert's birthday party.
3. Why is Darrow arguing with a Lieutenant in Chapter 4?
(a) He wants Darrow to give him a bribe.
(b) He wants a date with Helen.
(c) He says Darrow's camera equipment is too heavy.
(d) He will not let Helen on the helicopter.
4. Why does a Captain jump on Helen when she steps forward to take a picture of a grandfather?
(a) He says women should not be in the field.
(b) He says she is going to be killed.
(c) He says she is going to get them killed.
(d) He is angry she turned down his request for a date.
5. What is Curt determined to do?
(a) Ride a hundred foot wave.
(b) Buy great camera equipment when he returns to the states.
(c) Tour the Far East on his motorcycle.
(d) Return to combat.
6. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is out of the city.
(b) He has been injured.
(c) They have had an argument.
(d) He is visiting his mother in the northwest section.
7. What does Helen give Chuong?
(a) Her film.
(d) A pass to get on a plane.
8. What do Helen and Darrow do the night they meet after dinner?
(a) Go dancing.
(b) Go out and shoot some pictures.
(c) Go to bed together.
(d) Spend a long time talking.
9. What does Helen think she needs to do if she is going to survive Vietnam?
(a) Make friends with others in Saigon.
(b) Stay out of the front lines.
(c) Pretend to be a communist sympathizer.
(d) Get a flak vest and helmet.
10. What does a soldier say about the Vietnamese and life?
(a) They do not value it like Americans.
(b) They believe life is sacred.
(c) They have no life with the war in their country.
(d) Nothing is said about the Vietnamese and life.
11. What does Linh tell Helen he will do when she leaves that morning?
(a) He will get on a plane if she does not return.
(b) He was not at the apartment when she left.
(c) He will meet her at his sister's.
(d) If she does not return he will stay in Saigon.
12. Why do Helen's bags remained packed in the motel room?
(a) She does not know where she is going next.
(b) She does not trust the motel staff.
(c) She is too lazy to unpack them.
(d) She thinks she should leave Vietnam.
13. At what Air Force Base are Helen and Darrow at the opening of Chapter 4?
(a) Dong Kwi.
(b) Hanoi Phi.
(c) Bien Hoa.
14. What does Helen start to do so the soldiers will respect her?
(a) Helps the medics save lives.
(b) Acts more like a woman.
(c) Acts like a drill sergeant.
(d) Takes chances for great pictures.
15. What do Helen and Curt talk about on the way out of the field?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen not take any pictures in the field?
2. Who was the first American Linh ever met?
3. Why do the journalists feel ashamed when coming back from a shoot?
4. What does Darrow make clear to Helen when she next sees him?
5. What does Linh try to teach Darrow?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)