|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens shortly after Linh meets his first American?
(a) He is discharged from the army.
(b) His son is born.
(c) His village is bombed and his family is killed.
(d) He is arrested by the Americans.
2. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
(a) He is the manager's nephew.
(b) He lives there with his mother.
(c) He is a good cook.
(d) He runs errands for the tenants.
3. What does the person who Helen meets tell her?
(a) He has not won a Pulitzer.
(b) She already has a Pulitzer so she will leave.
(c) He has a seat reserved on a plane that leaves in an hour.
(d) She is leaving immediately.
4. What does Gary think about working with Darrow?
(a) Gary would rather work with him than anyone else.
(b) He is a difficult man.
(c) Darrow won't do his own work.
(d) He has no thoughts on working with Darrow.
5. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
(a) They have had an argument.
(b) He is out of the city.
(c) He has been injured.
(d) He is visiting his mother in the northwest section.
6. What does Helen start to do so the soldiers will respect her?
(a) Helps the medics save lives.
(b) Acts like a drill sergeant.
(c) Takes chances for great pictures.
(d) Acts more like a woman.
7. What is Helen's hope concerning herself and Linh?
(a) That he will forgive her.
(b) That they will wed.
(c) That they will return to Saigon after the country has settled down.
(d) That she is not pregnant.
8. What does Darrow call Helen when he meets her?
(a) A looky-loo.
(b) A scheming female.
(c) A child playing with fire.
(d) A great addition.
9. What does Jack say everyone is interested in as far as Helen is concerned?
(a) Seeing her fail.
(b) Sending her back to the states.
(c) Helping her find her brother.
(d) Sleeping with her.
10. Why does Darrow send Linh to work with Helen?
(a) He is upset with Linh.
(b) He says Linh will be valuable to Helen.
(c) Linh has asked to be assigned to her.
(d) He wants to keep Linh safe.
11. At what Air Force Base are Helen and Darrow at the opening of Chapter 4?
(a) Bien Hoa.
(c) Dong Kwi.
(d) Hanoi Phi.
12. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
(a) He knows Linh.
(b) They are married.
(c) He says it doesn't matter anymore.
(d) He is an American citizen.
13. Why did Michael go to Vietnam?
(a) To stop communism.
(b) To follow in his father's footsteps.
(c) To help stop the war from the inside.
(d) He was drafted.
14. What worries Darrow about Helen the most?
(a) That she will be killed.
(b) That she will stay in Vietnam too long.
(c) That she will find someone else.
(d) That she really is pregnant.
15. With what does Helen ask Darrow for help?
(a) Tying her combat boots.
(b) Adjusting her aperture.
(c) Loading her film.
(d) Putting on the body harness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the journalists feel ashamed when coming back from a shoot?
2. What does Helen give Chuong?
3. How does Darrow get the Lieutenant to do what Darrow wants?
4. What do the taxis in Saigon look like?
5. In what kind of unit is Frank MacCrae serving?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)