|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darrow make clear to Helen when she next sees him?
(a) That he will not take her in the field.
(b) That he does not want children.
(c) That there is no chance for a relationship.
(d) That she should go home.
2. What did Linh's father do for a living in Hanoi?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) A physician.
(d) A professor of literature.
3. What worries Darrow about Helen the most?
(a) That she will be killed.
(b) That she will stay in Vietnam too long.
(c) That she will find someone else.
(d) That she really is pregnant.
4. What is Curt determined to do?
(a) Ride a hundred foot wave.
(b) Return to combat.
(c) Tour the Far East on his motorcycle.
(d) Buy great camera equipment when he returns to the states.
5. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is visiting his mother in the northwest section.
(b) They have had an argument.
(c) He is out of the city.
(d) He has been injured.
6. From what story did the quote about the Lotus Eaters come?
(a) The Odessey.
(b) Call of the Wild.
(c) Star Wars.
(d) Jane Eyre.
7. In what kind of unit was Helen's brother?
(c) The elite corps.
8. Why does Darrow send Linh to work with Helen?
(a) He is upset with Linh.
(b) Linh has asked to be assigned to her.
(c) He wants to keep Linh safe.
(d) He says Linh will be valuable to Helen.
9. Why is Saigon in chaos?
(a) There is an ongoing drought.
(b) The Americans have surrounded the city.
(c) The Comnmunists are on the outskirts of the city.
(d) The mayor of Saigon has died.
10. What does Helen attempt to do the evening she returns from the field?
(a) Find her brother.
(b) Find a new battery for her camera.
(c) Get drunk.
(d) Avoid everyone.
11. Where does Helen meet Annick?
(a) At a press conference.
(b) In a boutique.
(c) At Robert's birthday party.
(d) At the hospital.
12. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
(a) Making him wonder if Vietnamese men treat their women wrong.
(b) Making him fall in love with her.
(c) Pushing him beyond his limits.
(d) Making him feel better about Americans.
13. What does a soldier say about the Vietnamese and life?
(a) Nothing is said about the Vietnamese and life.
(b) They have no life with the war in their country.
(c) They do not value it like Americans.
(d) They believe life is sacred.
14. What does Linh try to teach Darrow?
(a) About the country of Vietnam.
(b) How to speak to a Vietnamese woman.
(c) Why the communists are winning.
(d) How to care for his equipment in the humid jungle.
15. What is Helen's hope concerning herself and Linh?
(a) That he will forgive her.
(b) That they will return to Saigon after the country has settled down.
(c) That she is not pregnant.
(d) That they will wed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Helen have in Saigon?
2. What do the taxis in Saigon look like?
3. What does the person who Helen meets tell her?
4. What does Darrow call Helen when he meets her?
5. What does Mr. Bao know about Linh?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)