|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen arrange for Linh?
(a) New paperwork.
(b) Access to her bank account.
(c) A medic.
(d) A false passport.
2. Who was the first American Linh ever met?
(a) Robert Canson.
(b) Matt Carter.
(d) Sam Darrow.
3. What does Linh try to teach Darrow?
(a) How to care for his equipment in the humid jungle.
(b) Why the communists are winning.
(c) About the country of Vietnam.
(d) How to speak to a Vietnamese woman.
4. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
(a) Pushing him beyond his limits.
(b) Making him fall in love with her.
(c) Making him wonder if Vietnamese men treat their women wrong.
(d) Making him feel better about Americans.
5. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
(a) He is the manager's nephew.
(b) He is a good cook.
(c) He runs errands for the tenants.
(d) He lives there with his mother.
6. What is Helen's hope concerning herself and Linh?
(a) That they will wed.
(b) That he will forgive her.
(c) That they will return to Saigon after the country has settled down.
(d) That she is not pregnant.
7. What does Bao require Linh to do?
(a) Work for the North.
(b) Steer Darrow towards pro communists people.
(c) Bao has no interest in Linh.
(d) Give him half of his pay.
8. Why does Darrow send Linh to work with Helen?
(a) He wants to keep Linh safe.
(b) He says Linh will be valuable to Helen.
(c) Linh has asked to be assigned to her.
(d) He is upset with Linh.
9. What do the taxis in Saigon look like?
(a) White and red Renaults.
(b) Blue and white Renaults.
(c) Green and black Toyotas.
(d) They vary.
10. What happens when the men in the book in question #1 eat the Lotus Flower?
(a) They fall in love with the women there.
(b) They turn into monsters.
(c) They fall asleep and never wake up.
(d) They lose all desire to leave the meadows.
11. What does Darrow call Helen when he meets her?
(a) A great addition.
(b) A looky-loo.
(c) A child playing with fire.
(d) A scheming female.
12. How did Helen get into the field without Darrow?
(a) Taking army journalist junkets.
(b) She forged press credentials.
(c) She followed soldiers in a taxi.
(d) She found a Lieutenant who was sympathetic.
13. What does Linh say when Darrow mentions Linh is using a different name?
(a) The first name was false.
(b) He always hated his given name.
(c) That other man is dead.
14. What does Gary think about working with Darrow?
(a) He is a difficult man.
(b) He has no thoughts on working with Darrow.
(c) Gary would rather work with him than anyone else.
(d) Darrow won't do his own work.
15. Where do Helen and Linh go?
(a) To an American army base.
(b) To the embassy.
(c) To a hospital.
(d) To his parents' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Helen and Darrow do the night they meet after dinner?
2. What did Linh's father do for a living in Hanoi?
3. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
4. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow on Darrow's table?
5. Why did Michael go to Vietnam?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)