|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Helen have in Saigon?
(a) USO performer.
(c) She has no job but is married to a Vietnamese.
(d) Civilian secretary for the army.
2. How did Helen get into the field without Darrow?
(a) Taking army journalist junkets.
(b) She followed soldiers in a taxi.
(c) She found a Lieutenant who was sympathetic.
(d) She forged press credentials.
3. What does Linh say when Darrow mentions Linh is using a different name?
(a) The first name was false.
(b) He always hated his given name.
(c) That other man is dead.
4. What does Helen attempt to do the evening she returns from the field?
(a) Find her brother.
(b) Avoid everyone.
(c) Find a new battery for her camera.
(d) Get drunk.
5. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
(a) He knows Linh.
(b) He is an American citizen.
(c) They are married.
(d) He says it doesn't matter anymore.
6. What worries Darrow about Helen the most?
(a) That she really is pregnant.
(b) That she will be killed.
(c) That she will stay in Vietnam too long.
(d) That she will find someone else.
7. What does Helen start to do so the soldiers will respect her?
(a) Takes chances for great pictures.
(b) Acts more like a woman.
(c) Helps the medics save lives.
(d) Acts like a drill sergeant.
8. What does Darrow tell Helen during Christmas dinner?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) She needs to go back to the states.
(c) He is leaving the country.
(d) Jack has been killed.
9. What do the taxis in Saigon look like?
(a) They vary.
(b) Blue and white Renaults.
(c) Green and black Toyotas.
(d) White and red Renaults.
10. What is done to Helen when she is stopped?
(a) She is hit on the head.
(b) She is taken to a safe place.
(c) She is arrested.
11. What does Mr. Bao know about Linh?
(a) That Linh speaks English.
(b) That Linh's family is alive.
(c) That Linh is a deserter.
(d) That Linh wants to secretly kill Darrow.
12. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
(a) Pushing him beyond his limits.
(b) Making him wonder if Vietnamese men treat their women wrong.
(c) Making him fall in love with her.
(d) Making him feel better about Americans.
13. What does Helen think she needs to do if she is going to survive Vietnam?
(a) Make friends with others in Saigon.
(b) Get a flak vest and helmet.
(c) Stay out of the front lines.
(d) Pretend to be a communist sympathizer.
14. In what kind of unit is Frank MacCrae serving?
(c) Special Forces.
15. Where do Helen and Linh go?
(a) To the embassy.
(b) To his parents' house.
(c) To an American army base.
(d) To a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen hear when she wakes that morning?
2. What does Jack say everyone is interested in as far as Helen is concerned?
3. Why does a Captain jump on Helen when she steps forward to take a picture of a grandfather?
4. What does Bao require Linh to do?
5. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)