|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Linh sent when he answered a Help Wanted ad?
(a) The Philippines.
(d) A U.S. army base in Saigon.
2. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
(a) Making him fall in love with her.
(b) Pushing him beyond his limits.
(c) Making him wonder if Vietnamese men treat their women wrong.
(d) Making him feel better about Americans.
3. What does Jack say everyone is interested in as far as Helen is concerned?
(a) Helping her find her brother.
(b) Seeing her fail.
(c) Sending her back to the states.
(d) Sleeping with her.
4. When does Linh first spot Helen?
(a) During a conversation with Bao.
(b) In a battle helicopter.
(c) In Darrow's room.
(d) Among the faces at a press conference.
5. What type of stories did Helen do on Cambodia?
(a) Stories on their type of farmning.
(b) She did not do any stories on Cambodia.
(d) Stories about the animals there.
6. What does Helen start to do so the soldiers will respect her?
(a) Helps the medics save lives.
(b) Takes chances for great pictures.
(c) Acts more like a woman.
(d) Acts like a drill sergeant.
7. Why is Helen angry at Darrow?
(a) For ignoring her all day.
(b) For making light of her brother.
(c) For telling everyone what happened in the field with Helen.
(d) For not helping her with the Lieutenant.
8. What does Linh try to teach Darrow?
(a) How to speak to a Vietnamese woman.
(b) Why the communists are winning.
(c) About the country of Vietnam.
(d) How to care for his equipment in the humid jungle.
9. What do Helen and Curt talk about on the way out of the field?
10. What happens to MacCrae a few weeks after Helen meets him?
(a) He is sent home.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He loses his sight.
(d) He is transferred to Cambodia.
11. What does Helen attempt to do the evening she returns from the field?
(a) Find her brother.
(b) Get drunk.
(c) Avoid everyone.
(d) Find a new battery for her camera.
12. Why does a Captain jump on Helen when she steps forward to take a picture of a grandfather?
(a) He says she is going to get them killed.
(b) He says women should not be in the field.
(c) He says she is going to be killed.
(d) He is angry she turned down his request for a date.
13. What happens when the men in the book in question #1 eat the Lotus Flower?
(a) They turn into monsters.
(b) They lose all desire to leave the meadows.
(c) They fall in love with the women there.
(d) They fall asleep and never wake up.
14. What does Helen find as she is returning to her apartment?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) Another camera.
(d) A lost girl.
15. Why is Helen stopped in the street?
(a) Because her face is not covered and she is female.
(b) She looks like she is rich.
(c) Because she is a black woman.
(d) Because she is carrying a camera.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Annick lived in Vietnam?
2. Why does the soldier allow Linh to stay with Helen?
3. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
4. What job does Helen have in Saigon?
5. In what kind of unit is Frank MacCrae serving?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)