|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Helen and Curt talk about on the way out of the field?
2. What is Curt determined to do?
(a) Tour the Far East on his motorcycle.
(b) Return to combat.
(c) Buy great camera equipment when he returns to the states.
(d) Ride a hundred foot wave.
3. Why is Darrow arguing with a Lieutenant in Chapter 4?
(a) He says Darrow's camera equipment is too heavy.
(b) He wants Darrow to give him a bribe.
(c) He wants a date with Helen.
(d) He will not let Helen on the helicopter.
4. What does Linh tell Helen he will do when she leaves that morning?
(a) He will get on a plane if she does not return.
(b) He was not at the apartment when she left.
(c) If she does not return he will stay in Saigon.
(d) He will meet her at his sister's.
5. Why is Helen worried when she does not hear from Darrow?
(a) She thinks she might be pregnant.
(b) She worries about their relationship.
(c) She is afraid he has been killed.
(d) She needs him to get out into the field.
6. Who teaches Helen about darkroom operation?
7. What does Helen find as she is returning to her apartment?
(a) A lost girl.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) Another camera.
(d) A pair of shoes.
8. What does Helen notice about how journalist act towards each other in the field?
(a) No one speaks to each other.
(b) They help each other out and feel no competition.
(c) They compete and cooperate.
(d) It is dog eat dog.
9. What does Darrow make clear to Helen when she next sees him?
(a) That he will not take her in the field.
(b) That she should go home.
(c) That there is no chance for a relationship.
(d) That he does not want children.
10. What does Helen start to do so the soldiers will respect her?
(a) Acts like a drill sergeant.
(b) Acts more like a woman.
(c) Takes chances for great pictures.
(d) Helps the medics save lives.
11. What happens shortly after Linh meets his first American?
(a) His village is bombed and his family is killed.
(b) He is arrested by the Americans.
(c) He is discharged from the army.
(d) His son is born.
12. How did Helen get into the field without Darrow?
(a) She followed soldiers in a taxi.
(b) She found a Lieutenant who was sympathetic.
(c) She forged press credentials.
(d) Taking army journalist junkets.
13. What did Linh's father do for a living in Hanoi?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) A professor of literature.
(d) A physician.
14. What does Linh feel Helen is doing to him?
(a) Making him feel better about Americans.
(b) Making him wonder if Vietnamese men treat their women wrong.
(c) Pushing him beyond his limits.
(d) Making him fall in love with her.
15. Why does a Captain jump on Helen when she steps forward to take a picture of a grandfather?
(a) He says women should not be in the field.
(b) He says she is going to be killed.
(c) He is angry she turned down his request for a date.
(d) He says she is going to get them killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Linh first spot Helen?
2. What job does Helen have in Saigon?
3. How does Linh feel when he sees a picture of Helen and Darrow on Darrow's table?
4. What does a soldier say about the Vietnamese and life?
5. How long has Annick lived in Vietnam?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)