|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Michael go to Vietnam?
(a) To stop communism.
(b) To follow in his father's footsteps.
(c) To help stop the war from the inside.
(d) He was drafted.
2. What did Linh do before he was drafted into the army?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a writer and a poet.
(c) He was a banker.
(d) He was a farmer.
3. What does Helen notice about how journalist act towards each other in the field?
(a) No one speaks to each other.
(b) It is dog eat dog.
(c) They compete and cooperate.
(d) They help each other out and feel no competition.
4. What is done to Helen when she is stopped?
(b) She is arrested.
(c) She is taken to a safe place.
(d) She is hit on the head.
5. What did Linh's father do for a living in Hanoi?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) A professor of literature.
(d) A physician.
6. Why is Linh not with Helen at the beginning of the book?
(a) He has been injured.
(b) He is out of the city.
(c) He is visiting his mother in the northwest section.
(d) They have had an argument.
7. What happens to MacCrae a few weeks after Helen meets him?
(a) He loses his sight.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He is transferred to Cambodia.
(d) He is sent home.
8. How long has Helen been in Vietnam?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Almost ten years.
(d) Five years.
9. What does Helen give Chuong?
(a) Her film.
(b) A pass to get on a plane.
10. Where do Helen and Linh go?
(a) To his parents' house.
(b) To a hospital.
(c) To an American army base.
(d) To the embassy.
11. What does Darrow make clear to Helen when she next sees him?
(a) That he will not take her in the field.
(b) That she should go home.
(c) That he does not want children.
(d) That there is no chance for a relationship.
12. What does Darrow tell Helen during Christmas dinner?
(a) He is leaving the country.
(b) Jack has been killed.
(c) He wants to marry her.
(d) She needs to go back to the states.
13. With what does Helen ask Darrow for help?
(a) Putting on the body harness.
(b) Tying her combat boots.
(c) Loading her film.
(d) Adjusting her aperture.
14. Where does Helen meet Annick?
(a) In a boutique.
(b) At Robert's birthday party.
(c) At the hospital.
(d) At a press conference.
15. What does a soldier say about the Vietnamese and life?
(a) They believe life is sacred.
(b) Nothing is said about the Vietnamese and life.
(c) They have no life with the war in their country.
(d) They do not value it like Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a Captain jump on Helen when she steps forward to take a picture of a grandfather?
2. Why is Chuong allowed to stay in Helen's apartment building?
3. Why is Helen worried when she does not hear from Darrow?
4. What does Helen hear when she wakes that morning?
5. Why is Helen rushing to meet Robert?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)