|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Georgie supposed to be in at the beginning of the book?
2. Why does Georgie get worried about winning the lottery?
3. What does Georgie want to do with the garden at his new school?
4. Why does Georgie's mother not protect him?
5. Where is Georgie at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Georgie do during meal time after meeting Mr. Collier?
2. Why is Georgie so insistent about where his rosebush should go?
3. What makes Georgie dislike his teacher?
4. What happened to Mrs. Harper's family?
5. How does Georgie get his rosebush where he wants it?
6. What clues does Georgie have that Steve will be returning soon as the lottery approaches?
7. Why does Georgie make his own lunch after going to the store?
8. What does Mrs. Harper do when she first sees Georgie's rosebush in her garden?
9. Why is Georgie so excited about the lottery drawing?
10. What causes Georgie to get sick in the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steve was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Life and Death were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations, and why are they generally presented together?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)