|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Georgie once set a fire?
2. What does Sister tell Georgie he must learn to do in order to survive?
3. What did Paul like to build?
4. What is Georgie filled with when he leaves the grocery store?
5. How did Mrs. Harper's son die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Georgie do to get back at the teacher he doesn't like?
2. What does Georgie say he would ask God for while he is sick with his fever?
3. Why does Georgie's mother not protect him from Steve?
4. Why does Georgie never read his garden book?
5. What does Mrs. Harper do when she first sees Georgie's rosebush in her garden?
6. What changes in Georgie's living situation after being released from the hospital?
7. What is Georgie worried about as the lottery approaches?
8. Why does Mrs. Harper not let the school boys near her house?
9. Where does Sister suggest the rosebush go?
10. What makes Georgie dislike his teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of abuse did Georgie receive in his life, and how did he respond to this?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)