|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Georgie think will happen after the drawing?
2. Why does Georgie's mother not stop Steve from abusing her son?
3. How does Georgie feel when he sees his favorite book?
4. How did Mrs. Harper's son die?
5. Why does Georgie sit in the back of the classroom at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Georgie so excited about the lottery drawing?
2. What does Mrs. Sims give Georgie one day at the grocery store?
3. What causes Georgie to get sick in the garden?
4. Why does Georgie never read his garden book?
5. Who is Paul and what did Timothy do with him?
6. How does Georgie end up in the hospital?
7. What clues does Georgie have that Steve will be returning soon as the lottery approaches?
8. What does Georgie do during meal time after meeting Mr. Collier?
9. How does Rosita respond when she meets Georgie?
10. What does Mrs. Harper do while Georgie is recovering from his fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Georgie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)