|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosita's occupation?
2. Where does Georgie have injuries at the beginning of the book?
3. Why does Georgie's mother not stop Steve from abusing her son?
4. Why does Georgie hide when Steve comes over?
5. What did Paul like to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injuries does Georgie have at the hospital?
2. What changes in Georgie's living situation after being released from the hospital?
3. What happened to Mrs. Harper's family?
4. What is Georgie worried about as the lottery approaches?
5. Why does Mrs. Harper not let the school boys near her house?
6. What does Mrs. Harper do when she first sees Georgie's rosebush in her garden?
7. Why does Georgie never read his garden book?
8. What does Georgie insist on during his first day at the new school?
9. Why does Georgie like his garden book so much?
10. What does Mrs. Sims give Georgie one day at the grocery store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters, and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Georgie's relationship with Mrs. Harper change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)