|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Georgie's mother not stop Steve from abusing her son?
2. Where does Georgie live?
3. What does Georgie beg for when he gets out of the hospital?
4. What does Georgie like to day dream about before the drawing?
5. What does Georgie do during mealtimes at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Mrs. Harper's family?
2. Why is Georgie so insistent about where his rosebush should go?
3. What injuries does Georgie have at the hospital?
4. Where does Sister suggest the rosebush go?
5. What does Georgie say he would ask God for while he is sick with his fever?
6. What does Mrs. Harper do when she first sees Georgie's rosebush in her garden?
7. Who is Paul and what did Timothy do with him?
8. What does Georgie insist on during his first day at the new school?
9. Why does Georgie make his own lunch after going to the store?
10. What is Georgie worried about as the lottery approaches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Mr. Collier teach Georgie to read, and what affect did this new skill have on Georgie's life?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters, and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)