|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name first occurs in the Silmarillion manuscripts?
2. What did the Ainur entering the world become?
3. Who took a third of Fingolfin's Gnomes and disappeared to Gondolin?
4. What were the five types of speech developed by the Noldor?
5. What did the Later Annals set the stage for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part II, Chapter 6's content build the framework for the Lord of the Rings?
2. What are some differences between Q and QS manuscripts?
3. What are some differences in Q and QS regarding races, such as the Silmarils and Orcs?
4. What was the battle that ensued in the year 51?
5. What did Tolkein do after getting back the QS from the publishers?
6. How did the Elves and Men learn about the world?
7. What were the Valur or Powers?
8. How did the Elves name themselves?
9. How did the Annals begin?
10. How did the Gnomish Wars end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness found in The Lost Road and Other Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Motive is a powerful driving force behind action. Why is motive important in determining the actions and behavior of the elves? What are the motives of the quendi? How do they contrast with that of Audoin or Albion? Where do they coincide?
Essay Topic 3
Tolkein is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of metaphor or allusion, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)