|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took a third of Fingolfin's Gnomes and disappeared to Gondolin?
2. What is another name for the Noldorian Elves?
3. In Q, the Valar are explained in what tense?
4. Who were unable to recapture the Silmarils during the siege of two hundred years?
5. What were the Elves called that were led by Orome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes occurred from the year 300 to 343?
2. What happened in the year 397?
3. How did the music affect the learning of the people of Ainur?
4. How were the Ainur created?
5. How did the Ainur learn about the future of the world?
6. What did Morgoth rebuild and create in the world?
7. How does Part II, Chapter 6's content build the framework for the Lord of the Rings?
8. What was the conflict in the year 347?
9. What new races arose after the year 51?
10. How are the Dwarves portrayed in QS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book The Lost Road and Other Writings? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for The Lost Road and Other Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in The Lost Road and Other Writings?
Essay Topic 3
Tolkein uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Lost Road and Other Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)