|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Ainur exist before?
2. Who were the greatest powers among the Ainur?
3. After what event did the first Annals begin?
4. Iluvatar announced that the music of the Ainur would be made into _____.
5. No matter how hard Melko tried to destroy it, Iluvatar would always use his discord to create _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Elves name themselves?
2. How was Morgoth powerful and challenged in the year 273?
3. How did the Elves and Men learn about the world?
4. What are some differences between Q and QS manuscripts?
5. What did Tolkein do after getting back the QS from the publishers?
6. How did the Annals begin?
7. What is the significance of the Etymologies?
8. How were the Ainur created?
9. What battle is described in Chapter 16 of Part II?
10. Why did Iluvatar end the music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book The Lost Road and Other Writings? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism occurs throughout The Lost Road and Other Writings. Identify 2-3 examples. What is their significance to the main characters of Audoin and Albion and to the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Iluvatar. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Iluvatar's character in the novel?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)