|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Iluvatar give the Ainur from which they made a harmony?
2. What did Melko make that created disharmony and made Illuvatar weep?
3. No matter how hard Melko tried to destroy it, Iluvatar would always use his discord to create _____.
4. What was a source for the Creation passages in the Quenta Silmarillion?
5. What name first occurs in the Silmarillion manuscripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Elves name themselves?
2. What did Tolkein do after getting back the QS from the publishers?
3. How were the Ainur created?
4. How did the Gnomish Wars end?
5. How was Morgoth powerful and challenged in the year 273?
6. What are some differences between Q and QS manuscripts?
7. How did the author describe the Last Battle of the Ancient World?
8. What battle is described in Chapter 16 of Part II?
9. How did the music affect the learning of the people of Ainur?
10. How did the Elves and Men learn about the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for The Lost Road and Other Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in The Lost Road and Other Writings?
Essay Topic 2
Magic and the supernatural are discussed throughout the novel. Identify magical and supernatural elements in characters, objects, and events. How does Albion's power separate her from others? Does the possession of magical or supernatural powers result in heroic action? Why or why not? Explain in reference to the characters of Albion, Audoin, and the other principal characters.
Essay Topic 3
Tolkein is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of metaphor or allusion, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)