|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were Hurin and Huor born?
2. In Q, the Valar are explained in what tense?
3. What was a source for the Creation passages in the Quenta Silmarillion?
4. What was the Last Battle of the Ancient World also called?
5. Who is the sister of Manwe and Melko?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author describe the Last Battle of the Ancient World?
2. How did the Elves and Men learn about the world?
3. Why did Iluvatar end the music?
4. How did Melko change the music?
5. How did the music affect the learning of the people of Ainur?
6. What were the Valur or Powers?
7. What are some differences between Q and QS manuscripts?
8. How are the Sun and Moon different in Q and QS?
9. What did Tolkein do after getting back the QS from the publishers?
10. How does Part II, Chapter 6's content build the framework for the Lord of the Rings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lost Road and Other Writings is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, and kinetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see in our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Iluvatar. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Iluvatar's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for The Lost Road and Other Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in The Lost Road and Other Writings?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)