|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Albion when Oswin thought his interest in languages was a waste of time?
2. What was characteristic of the First Age built around the destruction of the trees?
3. When the Trees were destroyed, what did the Gods make?
4. Part Two contains ALL of the following except _____.
5. What does Elendil mean in Eressian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Audion, Albion's son, described in Chapter 4 of Part 1?
2. What was the world of Valinor like in the year 1000?
3. What languages did Albion learn?
4. What happened in the year 1050?
5. What were the two changes that arose as the Sun appeared?
6. What are some new terms introduced in the text of Part 1, Chapter 2?
7. What are some differences in the characters mentioned in the second text mentioned in Part 1, Chapter 2?
8. How is the second manuscript mentioned in Part 1, Chapter 2 dated and shown later edits?
9. How did two plot devices affect the writings of Lewis and Tolkien?
10. What was the importance of dreams to Albion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Lost Road and Other Writings, money is associated with privilege and forgery along with the illusion of security or freedom through mastery or manipulation. Who has money? Who lacks it? Who is obsessed with it?
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien uses more than one instance of irony in The Lost Road and Other Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Motive is a powerful driving force behind action. Why is motive important in determining the actions and behavior of the elves? What are the motives of the quendi? How do they contrast with that of Audoin or Albion? Where do they coincide?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)