|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Elendil from?
2. What was Tolkien's son's name?
3. In comparison to others, what spiritual inclination did Manwe have?
4. Which version of The Annals of Valinor is a clear manuscript with few changes from the previous version?
5. What did Tolkien choose to write about in a trilogy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Oswin and Albion desire to learn from each other when Albion turned 18?
2. How was the world of Valinor built?
3. What languages did Albion learn?
4. What manuscripts does Part Two contain?
5. Why did Albion's father discuss Anglo-Saxon with him?
6. What are some differences in the characters mentioned in the second text mentioned in Part 1, Chapter 2?
7. What happened when Fingolfin led his people to Middle-Earth?
8. What was the first generation of the Sun?
9. How did the Valar count time?
10. What was the Downfall of Numenor about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness found in The Lost Road and Other Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
In The Lost Road and Other Writings, money is associated with privilege and forgery along with the illusion of security or freedom through mastery or manipulation. Who has money? Who lacks it? Who is obsessed with it?
Essay Topic 3
Tolkein is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of metaphor or allusion, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)