|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which document showed the Numenoreans interested in long life?
2. When Audion finally asked Albion if he wanted to undertake the journey prescribed by Elendil, what did Albion do?
3. What languages were not considered classical?
4. Elendil explained to Herendil that the _____ wished to set foot into the far West to conquer new realms for the race and be masters of the World.
5. What were the Vanimor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the world of Valinor built?
2. How did Albion retain his interest in languages while teaching, and how did it affect him?
3. How did Oswin and Albion desire to learn from each other when Albion turned 18?
4. What does the early document show about the Numerorean interest in life?
5. What are some differences in the characters mentioned in the second text mentioned in Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. What languages did Albion learn?
7. What was the Downfall of Numenor about?
8. How did the conflict of loyalty affect Herendil and Elendil?
9. How was Audion, Albion's son, described in Chapter 4 of Part 1?
10. When did the Moon and Sun arise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolkein uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Lost Road and Other Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for The Lost Road and Other Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in The Lost Road and Other Writings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Audoin's fall from grace. How does this relate to a religious concept of the fallen angel? Is Audoin's temptation similar to that of Lucifer in hell? What parallels do you see in Tolkein's tale to that of the Bible?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)