|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, The Fall of Numenor and the Lost Road, Chapters 1-2, The Early History of the Legend, The Fall of Numenor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first King of Numenor?
2. Who was the the Elf-king in Beleriand?
3. What were the 2 plot devices Tolkien discussed with C.S. Lewis?
(a) Allegory and symbolism.
(b) Blood and guts.
(c) Space travel and time travel.
(d) Love and war.
4. What occurred in the Great Sea appeared east of Tol-eressea?
(a) A rift.
(b) A dungeon.
(c) A hole.
(d) A bluff.
5. What did Tolkien choose to write about in a trilogy?
(d) Time travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the Numenoreans was attributed only to the Valar as a gift?
2. What was Tolkien's son's name?
3. What was NOT a new term introduced in the manuscript about the globe?
4. In what year did Tolkien recount a discussion he had with C.S. Lewis, where they decided who would write stories about two of the big "plot devices" of the day?
5. Who wrote the second manuscript?
This section contains 164 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)