|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbs Mallinson after the porters come and go without taking him with them?
2. What happens with Conway and the Chinese girl?
3. How does Conway feel after his interview with the High Lama?
4. Before he dies, what does the High Lama give to Conway?
5. What custom of the people did Father Perrault observe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the High Lama say Conway will age if he stays in Shangri-La?
2. How does Conway find himself leading a double life?
3. How does Chang relate his residence in Shangri-La?
4. Describe the Dominican monk who came to the Blue Moon Valley in 1734.
5. How do Mallinson's arguments cause Conway's dream of Shangri-La to dissolve away?
6. Why does Conway say that the lamasery library is not up to date?
7. Why does Barnard announce that he wants to stay in Shangri-La?
8. Tell something about the formality of the meeting.
9. Tell what Chang informs Barnard when he asks for a newspaper.
10. Briefly describe the information Chang gives Conway and the others.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on morality. In you essay discuss how in many cases morality is relative to the society. Give examples of things that are accepted in one society but considered immoral in another one.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on appearances. In your essay note the different ways each of the captives saw Shangri-La. Discuss the different things that caused three of the four to want to remain there. discuss how the same situation often appears different to different people. Explain why that is.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of the novel, LOST HORIZON. In your critique discuss the author's style of writing, the suspense in the story, the symbols and imagery he uses. Conclude your critique with a recommendation as to who should read this novel.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)