|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Returning to Conway, what does Mallinson think about doing?
2. What is special about the French lama, Alphonse Briac?
3. How does Conway feel after his interview with the High Lama?
4. Who was the young Austrian who came to the valley of the Blue Moon around this period?
5. What ideas do the lamas have that Miss Brinklow is opposed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dominican monk who came to the Blue Moon Valley in 1734.
2. Tell what Chang informs Barnard when he asks for a newspaper.
3. Explain Conway's ambiguous reply when the High Lama invites him to remain forever in Shangri-La.
4. Why does Conway say that the lamasery library is not up to date?
5. How is Conway amazed by the drawing of Henschell?
6. How do Mallinson's arguments cause Conway's dream of Shangri-La to dissolve away?
7. How does Conway find out information about Lo-Tsen?
8. How does Conway sidestep informing his friends about the conversation with the High Lama?
9. What is the valley like?
10. Explain what the High Lama sees as the future of the world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on why you think the idea of Shangri-La is so appealing to many people. Include how the very name has come to mean an ideal living situation. Give your opinion about the validity of looking for a Shangri-La on Earth.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on ambition. Is ambition good or bad? Discuss also the reverse--whether the lack of ambition is good or bad. For ambition to be good, what other characteristics need to be present?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining what you think happened to Karakal, the lamasery, and Blue Moon to make them disappear without a trace. Does the shape of Karakal suggest it might have been a volcano?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)