|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Brinklow decide she wants to stay?
2. What explanation does Mallinson have for Conway's strange talk?
3. What has Chang seen when people try to leave Shangri-La?
4. What does Mallinson want Conway to be?
5. What does Mallinson insist is their responsibility?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the High Lama say Conway will age if he stays in Shangri-La?
2. Why does Barnard announce that he wants to stay in Shangri-La?
3. How does Conway find out information about Lo-Tsen?
4. How do Mallinson's arguments cause Conway's dream of Shangri-La to dissolve away?
5. After leaving on his own, why does Mallinson return to Shangri-La?
6. Who does Barnard turn out to be?
7. Why does Conway say that the lamasery library is not up to date?
8. Tell something about the formality of the meeting.
9. Explain Conway's ambiguous reply when the High Lama invites him to remain forever in Shangri-La.
10. How does Chang relate his residence in Shangri-La?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on fear. Using Mallinson as an example, describe the fear of being caught in unusual circumstances that you may not understand. Make a real life comparison to fearing such things as navigating your way around a new city.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how the story of LOST HORIZON could be adapted into a science fiction story. What would be the setting for Shangri-La?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the imagery in LOST HORIZON. Describe the use of color, sights, and sounds are presented in the novel. Mention the specific images that resonate with your imagination.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)