|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the High Lama say Conway and his companions were chosen to come here?
2. How does Mallinson challenge Conway?
3. What agitates Mallinson one night?
4. What custom of the people did Father Perrault observe?
5. What does Mallinson insist about Lo-Tsen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mallinson want Conway to pack up his belongings?
2. How do Mallinson's arguments cause Conway's dream of Shangri-La to dissolve away?
3. Explain what the High Lama sees as the future of the world.
4. Why does Barnard announce that he wants to stay in Shangri-La?
5. After leaving on his own, why does Mallinson return to Shangri-La?
6. Why does Conway say that the lamasery library is not up to date?
7. How do they get to visit the Valley of the Blue Moon down below Shangri-La?
8. Why has Conway really decided to remain in Shangri-La?
9. How does Conway find out information about Lo-Tsen?
10. Tell something about the formality of the meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the imagery in LOST HORIZON. Describe the use of color, sights, and sounds are presented in the novel. Mention the specific images that resonate with your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on ambition. Is ambition good or bad? Discuss also the reverse--whether the lack of ambition is good or bad. For ambition to be good, what other characteristics need to be present?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on fear. Using Mallinson as an example, describe the fear of being caught in unusual circumstances that you may not understand. Make a real life comparison to fearing such things as navigating your way around a new city.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)