|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conway next discover about Mallinson?
2. What is Miss Brinklow's interest in the valley?
3. What does Conway try to warn Mallinson about?
4. What does Conway credit with having taken a lot out of him?
5. What does Mallinson insist is their responsibility?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do they get to visit the Valley of the Blue Moon down below Shangri-La?
2. What is the valley like?
3. How does the High Lama say Conway will age if he stays in Shangri-La?
4. Briefly describe the information Chang gives Conway and the others.
5. Explain Conway's ambiguous reply when the High Lama invites him to remain forever in Shangri-La.
6. Why does Barnard announce that he wants to stay in Shangri-La?
7. Why does Mallinson want Conway to pack up his belongings?
8. Tell something about the formality of the meeting.
9. Why has Conway really decided to remain in Shangri-La?
10. How does Chang relate his residence in Shangri-La?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining what you think happened to Karakal, the lamasery, and Blue Moon to make them disappear without a trace. Does the shape of Karakal suggest it might have been a volcano?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short, short story telling what you imagine happened to Mallinson after he left Shangri-La. Let your imagination run wild. What did he find when he saw Lo-Tsen? Did he die? What happened to him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on idealism. Use the society of Blue Moon Valley to make your points about an ideal society. Mention what that society would have, and what would be left out.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)