|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Rutherford last saw Conway?
2. Why do they not talk much on the way to the lamasery?
3. How does Conway try to reason with Mallinson to accept that they have to wait for guides out of Shangri-La?
4. What is surprising about the facilities at Shangri-La?
5. What does Chang say is the core of their belief in Shangri-La?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the traveling going up the mountains?
2. What do they witness when the plane stops to refuel?
3. Briefly describe the surprise entertainment they are provided with.
4. How does the novel begin?
5. Give Mallinson's reply to Conway's question.
6. How are the men carrying the old man dressed?
7. What is the question Conway asks of the group of Britons and one American?
8. What is the conversation Chang and Conway have?
9. What does Miss Brinklow say she has heard about Tibetans?
10. Describe what the survivors of the plane crash see coming toward them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the imagery in LOST HORIZON. Describe the use of color, sights, and sounds are presented in the novel. Mention the specific images that resonate with your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short, short story telling what you imagine happened to Mallinson after he left Shangri-La. Let your imagination run wild. What did he find when he saw Lo-Tsen? Did he die? What happened to him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on what you think caused Conway's strange behavior after leaving Shangri-La? Is it regret? Is it guilt? Is it the fear of again being put into an unwanted leadership situation? Or some other reason?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)