|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Brinklow have that surprises the men?
2. What does Mallinson believe when the plane takes off a second time?
3. How does the name of Conway come up in the conversation?
4. What do the Tibetans believe that Miss Brinklow thinks is horrible?
5. Where were Rutherford and Conway traveling together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question Conway asks of the group of Britons and one American?
2. What was going on that leads up to the hijacking of the plane?
3. Explain the speculation about where they are while in the air after refueling.
4. Why does Conway start leading the group in a particular direction?
5. Describe what the conditions are like for the stranded passengers that night.
6. How are the men carrying the old man dressed?
7. Briefly describe the surprise entertainment they are provided with.
8. What is the book about that Green wrote and Rutherford had read?
9. What raises questions among the passengers on the plane?
10. Describe what it is that Rutherford leaves with Green that night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on appearances. In your essay note the different ways each of the captives saw Shangri-La. Discuss the different things that caused three of the four to want to remain there. discuss how the same situation often appears different to different people. Explain why that is.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on survival in desperate situations. Using the plane crash, develop a plan for survival if the Tibetans do not show up. What suggestions would you have for what the survivors of a plane crash in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on fear. Using Mallinson as an example, describe the fear of being caught in unusual circumstances that you may not understand. Make a real life comparison to fearing such things as navigating your way around a new city.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)