|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up the inhabitants of the lamasery at Shangri-La?
2. What is the man wearing in the hooded chair?
3. Who among the group says he will not be missed?
4. What do the men do in the plane after giving up plans to take out the pilot?
5. How does Conway see Chang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conway start leading the group in a particular direction?
2. Describe what it is that Rutherford leaves with Green that night.
3. Explain the speculation about where they are while in the air after refueling.
4. What is the conversation Chang and Conway have?
5. Why does Conway believe Chang may be ill?
6. What is the question Conway asks of the group of Britons and one American?
7. What is the book about that Green wrote and Rutherford had read?
8. Describe what the conditions are like for the stranded passengers that night.
9. Who are the four passengers on board the plane?
10. How does the plane finally land in the middle of the mountain range.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the weakness of anecdotal evidence. Explain why it is never proof but supports an emotional need for explanations. Use the fact that Conway accepted everything the High Lama and Chang told him without question.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on ambition. Is ambition good or bad? Discuss also the reverse--whether the lack of ambition is good or bad. For ambition to be good, what other characteristics need to be present?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how you would feel surrounded by great art, music, and literature without having to work for a living and having all the time you need to enjoy those things. In your essay detail the art, music, and literature you would want to have in your collection.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)