|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mallinson think has happened to them?
2. How does Conway get away from Rutherford in Honolulu?
3. If they cannot have guides out of the mountain, what does Mallinson demand next?
4. What is the subject of Green's book that Rutherford read?
5. What does Miss Brinklow want to know about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the plane finally land in the middle of the mountain range.
2. Explain the speculation about where they are while in the air after refueling.
3. What is the conversation Chang and Conway have?
4. Give Mallinson's reply to Conway's question.
5. Describe what it is that Rutherford leaves with Green that night.
6. What do the other passengers appreciate about Conway?
7. How does Chang discuss the practices and beliefs of the lamas?
8. Why is it better than they are not still in Baskul?
9. How is Mallinson bothered a second time on the flight?
10. What do they witness when the plane stops to refuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on fear. Using Mallinson as an example, describe the fear of being caught in unusual circumstances that you may not understand. Make a real life comparison to fearing such things as navigating your way around a new city.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the weakness of anecdotal evidence. Explain why it is never proof but supports an emotional need for explanations. Use the fact that Conway accepted everything the High Lama and Chang told him without question.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on exploring. Using the American hiker as an example, discuss the most interesting and exciting things you feel about trekking in unexplored areas. Tell where you would like to explore. Is it on earth or in outer space?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)