|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he dies, what does the High Lama give to Conway?
(a) a written record of Shangri-La
(b) the responsibility for Shangri-La
(c) a map for leaving Shangri-La
(d) a blessing for a happy life
2. Why does the High Lama say Conway and his companions were chosen to come here?
(a) to add diversity to Shangri-La
(b) to realize their own spirituality
(c) to record the history of Shangri-La
(d) to help recruit new people
3. How old was Father Perrault when he settled in the Valley in 1734?
4. What does Chang do after he delivers Conway to the High Lama?
(a) stands guard at the door
(b) makes tea
(c) leaves them alone
(d) takes a seat next to the High Lama
5. What does Chang tell Barnard about newspapers at Shangri-La?
(a) newspapers are not available except to the lamas
(b) there are no newspapers there
(c) there are old copies of Chinese newspapers
(d) there are old copies of the London Times
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Briac possess that he shares with Conway?
2. What does Conway believe that makes him want to stay in Shangri-La?
3. What does Conway try to warn Mallinson about?
4. What happens at breakfast the morning after Conway visits the High Lama?
5. Returning to Conway, what does Mallinson think about doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Conway find out information about Lo-Tsen?
2. What does Miss Brinklow conclude about the valley?
3. Briefly describe Conway's feelings about being invited to speak with the High Lama.
4. Why does Barnard announce that he wants to stay in Shangri-La?
5. Tell something about the formality of the meeting.
6. How is Conway amazed by the drawing of Henschell?
7. How does Conway find himself leading a double life?
8. Why does Mallinson want Conway to pack up his belongings?
9. How do Mallinson's arguments cause Conway's dream of Shangri-La to dissolve away?
10. Why does Conway say that the lamasery library is not up to date?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)