|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Conway learn about Lo-Tsen?
(a) She is over 300 years old
(b) She learned to play the harpsichord at Shangri-La
(c) She was a Chinese princess
(d) She is a very new arrival
2. What does Mallinson want Conway to be?
3. How does Mallinson challenge Conway?
(a) he calls Conway a coward
(b) he offers to give up Lo-Tsen
(c) he dares Conway to leave
(d) he says Conway has no proof
4. What does Chang tell Barnard about newspapers at Shangri-La?
(a) newspapers are not available except to the lamas
(b) there are old copies of the London Times
(c) there are old copies of Chinese newspapers
(d) there are no newspapers there
5. When does the High Lama say the meek shall inherit the earth?
(a) before the end of the earth
(b) when everyone learns about shangri-La
(c) after the next great war
(d) once the strong devour each other
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chang say about anyone who falls in love with Lo-Tsen?
2. What does Chang come to tell Conway late at night?
3. What agitates Mallinson one night?
4. How old is the most recent book in the library?
5. What has Chang seen when people try to leave Shangri-La?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving on his own, why does Mallinson return to Shangri-La?
2. How does the High Lama say Conway will age if he stays in Shangri-La?
3. Briefly describe Conway's feelings about being invited to speak with the High Lama.
4. Tell something about the formality of the meeting.
5. How do Mallinson's arguments cause Conway's dream of Shangri-La to dissolve away?
6. Who does Barnard turn out to be?
7. How do they get to visit the Valley of the Blue Moon down below Shangri-La?
8. How does Conway find out information about Lo-Tsen?
9. How does Conway sidestep informing his friends about the conversation with the High Lama?
10. How does Chang relate his residence in Shangri-La?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)