|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Late at night, what does the airplane encounter?
(a) severe lightning
(b) a clear, starry sky
(c) German fighter planes
(d) some turbulence
2. What does the Mother superior say about Conway?
(a) he plays the piano very well
(b) he came from the Himalayas
(c) he was dressed shabbily and had been very ill
(d) he could only speak Chinese
3. What precaution do the Tibetans take for their safety?
(a) warn them to be very quiet
(b) tie them together with ropes
(c) light signal fires along the way
(d) put them in back
4. What happens on the ship after Conway becomes depressed?
(a) he goes to his cabin and refuses to come out
(b) he attempts several times to jump overboard
(c) for twenty hours he pours his heart out to Rutherford
(d) he goes on a hunger strike
5. What does Mallinson believe when the plane takes off a second time?
(a) that they are on the wrong plane
(b) that the plane is going to crash
(c) that they are being kidnapped
(d) that the pilot knows what he is doing
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the men dressed in sheepskins, fur hats and yak skin boots?
2. What do Conway and Mallinson try to do?
3. On a walk, what does Conway overhear about how they were brought to Shangri-La?
4. What does Rutherford give Green?
5. What do the men ask Miss Brinklow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel begin?
2. What is the question Conway asks of the group of Britons and one American?
3. Why does Conway believe Chang may be ill?
4. Briefly describe the surprise entertainment they are provided with.
5. Who are the four passengers on board the plane?
6. How are the men carrying the old man dressed?
7. Why is it better than they are not still in Baskul?
8. Give Mallinson's reply to Conway's question.
9. Describe what the survivors of the plane crash see coming toward them.
10. What is the book about that Green wrote and Rutherford had read?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)