|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Brinklow decide to do?
(a) write a book about Shangri-La
(b) start a Christian church in the valley
(c) learn the Tibetan language
(d) set off on foot by herself
2. Why does the High Lama say Conway and his companions were chosen to come here?
(a) to realize their own spirituality
(b) to help recruit new people
(c) to add diversity to Shangri-La
(d) to record the history of Shangri-La
3. In subsequent meetings, what do Conway and the High Lama discuss?
(a) history and philosophy
(b) war and peace
(c) people and places
(d) religion and atheism
4. Why does Miss Brinklow decide she wants to stay?
(a) to become a female lama
(b) to get married and have children
(c) to start a mission
(d) to avoid the war she is sure is coming
5. What does the High Lama want to know about Conway?
(a) if he can speak French
(b) if he can keep secrets
(c) if he can write Chinese
(d) if he is married with children
6. How old was Father Perrault when he settled in the Valley in 1734?
7. What does Conway admit about himself?
(a) he does not like outside civilization
(b) he is not ambitious
(c) he resents that he has never been promoted
(d) he is driven by ambition
8. What was Chang before coming to Shangri-La?
(a) a soldier
(b) a teacher
(c) a Taoist monk
(d) an explorer
9. What does Chang tell Barnard about newspapers at Shangri-La?
(a) newspapers are not available except to the lamas
(b) there are no newspapers there
(c) there are old copies of Chinese newspapers
(d) there are old copies of the London Times
10. What has Chang seen when people try to leave Shangri-La?
(a) they cannot exist in the outside world
(b) they die at the border
(c) they suddenly show their true age
(d) they have fatal accidents
11. Who does Conway meet during the next week after his visit to the High Lama?
(a) a music teacher
(b) some of the lamas
(d) another Englishman
12. What does Conway also learn from the High Lama?
(a) the library is about to expand
(b) explorers are coming to the valley
(c) the mountain is crumbling
(d) no one can leave Shangri-La
13. What social event happens that Conway is familiar with?
(a) a tea ceremony
(b) a moment of silence
(c) a repast of sweet cakes
(d) bowing low
14. As his dream of Shangri-La dissolves, what does Conway agree to do?
(a) cause an avalanche to bury Shangri-La
(b) go with Mallinson
(c) never tell anyone about Shangri-La
(d) tell Chang good-bye
15. What will Conway lose the longer he lives in Shangri-La?
(a) his desire to leave
(b) his need for food and water
(c) his memory
(d) muscle and the enjoyment of physical appetites
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Briac possess that he shares with Conway?
2. What does Conway next discover about Mallinson?
3. How long is it before Conway sees the High Lama again?
4. What happens with Conway and the Chinese girl?
5. What does Chang come to tell Conway late at night?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)