|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mallison insist about the flight?
(a) that they are bucking a headwind
(b) that the seats are uncomfortable
(c) that the pilot is going off course
(d) that the plane will be late
2. What does the American attempt to do?
(a) find a weapon in the plane
(b) unlock the cockpit door
(c) make jokes about their situation
(d) open the door to jump out
3. How long has it been since Rutherford last saw Conway?
(a) a few years
(b) a few days
(c) a few weeks
(d) a few months
4. As they start down, how does the weather change?
(a) it gets much colder
(b) it starts to rain
(c) the wind dies down
(d) the sun comes out
5. What did Conway's friends and professors at Oxford expect of him?
(a) that he might write a great novel
(b) that he would be a famous pianist
(c) that he might become the PM of England
(d) that he would scale Mt. Everest
6. On a walk, what does Conway overhear about how they were brought to Shangri-La?
(a) the pilot Talu had not known they were on the plane
(b) they were brought here to tell the world about Shangri-La
(c) they were brought here to be held for ransom
(d) the pilot Talu who was killed had gone for them on purpose
7. What is surprising about the facilities at Shangri-La?
(a) it has modern tiles and fixtures
(b) it glows in the dark
(c) it stays warm without fire
(d) it sways with the winds
8. Who is the mystery man on board the plane?
(a) Charles Mallinson
(b) Wyland Sanders
(c) Henry D. Barnard, an American
(d) Hugh Conway
9. What nourishment do they offer the four survivors?
(b) fruit and wine
(c) yak jerky
(d) hot soup
10. What does Mallinson insist on?
(a) a radio transmitter
(b) a larger room
(c) better food and drink
(d) porters to lead them back to civilization
11. How is Conway described?
(a) as a man with a vivid imagination
(b) as a Renaissance man who excels in everything
(c) as a lost soul always looking for answers
(d) as a wanderer who never finishes a job
12. When Sanders joins the three men, what does he talk about?
(a) the threat of war
(b) the evacuation of Baskul
(c) the price of oil
(d) gold mining
13. What is Miss Brinklow's reaction to the situation?
(a) sure that prayer will save them
(b) oddly open-minded
(c) surprisingly noncommital
(d) alarmingly hysterical
14. Who is Miss Roberta Brinklow?
(a) a secretary to Captain Charles Mallinson
(b) a foreign newspaper correspondent
(c) an RAF nurse assigned to India
(d) a missionary with the L.M.S. or London Missionary Service
15. Who in the group is most anxious to get away from Shangri-La?
(b) Miss Brinklow
Short Answer Questions
1. As the survivors head out to find the lamasery, what do they see?
2. What do the men do in the plane after giving up plans to take out the pilot?
3. What is the subject of Green's book that Rutherford read?
4. What does the library contain?
5. How does Conway get away from Rutherford in Honolulu?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)