|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they not talk much on the way to the lamasery?
(a) because they are too far apart
(b) because they are too excited
(c) because of the thin air at that altitude
(d) because they are plotting an escape
2. What is the man wearing in the hooded chair?
(a) a fur coat
(b) a suit of armor
(c) a blue Chinese robe
(d) a blue blanket
3. How is Conway described?
(a) as a lost soul always looking for answers
(b) as a man with a vivid imagination
(c) as a Renaissance man who excels in everything
(d) as a wanderer who never finishes a job
4. What is the subject of Green's book that Rutherford read?
5. Who is Miss Roberta Brinklow?
(a) an RAF nurse assigned to India
(b) a foreign newspaper correspondent
(c) a secretary to Captain Charles Mallinson
(d) a missionary with the L.M.S. or London Missionary Service
6. Where had Rutherford found Conway?
(a) a hospital in Chung-Kiang
(b) a monastery in Shanghai
(c) an abbey in Hong Kong
(d) a tenement in Peking
7. What happens on the ship after Conway becomes depressed?
(a) he attempts several times to jump overboard
(b) he goes to his cabin and refuses to come out
(c) he goes on a hunger strike
(d) for twenty hours he pours his heart out to Rutherford
8. What is the man's name who has come out to meet them?
9. What do Mallinson and Miss Brinklow conclude about the pilot?
(a) that he's a kidnapper
(b) that he's a secret agent
(c) that he's insane
(d) that he's harmless
10. What does Mallinson insist on?
(a) better food and drink
(b) porters to lead them back to civilization
(c) a larger room
(d) a radio transmitter
11. What does Chang say Shangri-La avoids?
(a) avalanches from the mountains
(b) severe fluctuations of weather
(c) contamination from the outside world
(d) death and disease
12. What do the men ask Miss Brinklow?
(a) if she minds if they smoke
(b) if she would like a drink
(c) if she needs to change seats
(d) if she is comfortable
13. What do Green, Rutherford, and Tertius have in common?
(a) they are old school chums
(b) they are all novelists
(c) they are all traveling to Baskul
(d) they are British agents
14. When Sanders joins the three men, what does he talk about?
(a) the price of oil
(b) the threat of war
(c) gold mining
(d) the evacuation of Baskul
15. How does Conway see Chang?
(a) as a cruel captor
(b) as a typical Chinese
(c) as a man of mystery
(d) as a person of high intelligence
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the plane eventually land?
2. What does Miss Brinklow want to do that Chang says is impossible?
3. What is Conway's advice to the group?
4. What does Chang say about the books of maps?
5. Who among the group says he will not be missed?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)