|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Rutherford last saw Conway?
(a) a few years
(b) a few days
(c) a few months
(d) a few weeks
2. On board the ship to Honolulu, what does Conway play on the piano?
(a) Irish folk songs
(b) what he remembers of Mozart
(c) lively pieces he says were written by Chopin
(d) all the old British and American balads
3. As they take off, what does Mallinson observe and mention to Conway?
(a) some passengers did not arrive
(b) the pilot is not Fenner
(c) the engines sound strange
(d) the fog is rolling in
4. What did Conway's friends and professors at Oxford expect of him?
(a) that he might write a great novel
(b) that he might become the PM of England
(c) that he would scale Mt. Everest
(d) that he would be a famous pianist
5. How is Conway described?
(a) as a Renaissance man who excels in everything
(b) as a man with a vivid imagination
(c) as a lost soul always looking for answers
(d) as a wanderer who never finishes a job
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the opening scene of the novel?
2. What does Mallinson believe when the plane takes off a second time?
3. As they talk about overpowering the pilot, what stops them?
4. Why has Conway been satisfied with his position in Baskul?
5. What do the men do in the plane after giving up plans to take out the pilot?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)