|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is was the name of the war Charles Beckendorf died in?
2. What does the coach have clipped to his belt?
3. In which city did the truancy officers catch Leo?
4. What can the Grand Canyon skywalk hold the weight of?
5. Who does Leo say could repair almost anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Piper have on Jason at the beginning of the story?
2. Why is it important to get demigods to the camp before puberty?
3. What indicators are that Drew is Piper's rival?
4. How does Coach Hedge control the kids?
5. Why is bed 1A supposed to be such a good bed?
6. What is aggressive about the Big House?
7. How does Camp Half-Blood help the demigods?
8. How does the golden coin help Jason?
9. What does Hera tell Jason in his dream?
10. In what way is Leo suffering from a lack of confidence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Leo's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Leo hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Leo's ideas about life?
3. How has Leo's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)