|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Bryson go to the Biltmore Estate?
(a) He finds its beauty to be morally wrong.
(b) He doesn't want to pay the expensive admission.
(c) It is closed.
(d) He hates the Vanderbilt family.
2. Bryson says the three things that kill a farmer are: "lightning, rolling over in a tractor, and _____".
(a) Wild animals.
(b) Old age.
3. Bryson feels that Columbus has pieces of _______.
(c) His childhood.
4. Where are the senior citizens visiting the "Little White House" from?
(a) A retirement home.
(b) A Baptist church.
(c) A hospital.
5. People who pass through Des Moines are only stopping to get _____, according to Bryson.
(b) A hotel room.
6. What does Bryson believe his grandparents would do while awaiting the family's arrival?
(c) Call all their friends.
(d) Wait outside the house for them.
7. What thought comforts Bryson about the pushy seniors at the "Little White House"?
(a) They'll get karmic payback.
(b) They won't enjoy the site.
(c) That soon they'll be dead.
(d) They don't know what they're doing.
8. What does Bryson tell the waitress he has just gotten out of prison for?
(a) Killing a pushy waitress.
(b) Killing a farmer.
(c) Robbing a restaurant.
(d) Poisoning customers.
9. Why were Bryson's family vacations always so dingy?
(a) Because no one cared either way.
(b) Because they were trying to save money.
(c) Because the midwest is dingy.
(d) Because it made the trip more exciting.
10. In Bryson's opinion, what explains the stupidity of students?
(a) They do too many drugs.
(b) Their teachers are too young.
(c) Their parents are absent.
(d) There are no decent bookshops.
11. In Tennessee, what does Bryson observe about the weather?
(a) It's much colder.
(b) It's much hotter.
(c) He didn't notice any change.
(d) It might rain.
12. According to Bryson's generalization, where will people from Des Moines work?
(b) The hospital.
(c) The grocery store.
13. As a child, what did Bryson always think about Pella?
(a) It was ficticious.
(b) It was for poor people.
(c) That it was atypical.
(d) That it was unnecessary.
14. What prompted "Lost Continent"?
(a) The death of Bryson's father.
(b) His distaste for the U.S.
(c) A very good offer from a publisher.
(d) Bryson's boredom with other countries.
15. What annoys Bryson about all the signs in Beaufort?
(a) There are too many.
(b) They are too restrictive.
(c) They are nonsensical.
(d) They are incorrect.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Bryson's opinion, what don't farmers feel?
2. As an adult, Bryson finds Mark Twain's boyhood home to be ______.
3. Why is Bryson disappointed by Auburn, AL?
4. How did Bryson feel about Abe Lincoln's home when he was a boy?
5. What does Bryson believe the youth of today is lacking?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)