|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tennessee, what does Bryson observe about the weather?
(a) It's much hotter.
(b) It's much colder.
(c) He didn't notice any change.
(d) It might rain.
2. After being the only white man in a restaurant in Alabama, Bryson feels _____ to get back on the highway.
3. What does Bryson say he, like all midwesterners, love?
4. What pop-culture medium does Bryson claim paints southerners in a bad light?
(b) Reality television.
(d) Fashion magazines.
5. As a child, what did Bryson always think about Pella?
(a) It was ficticious.
(b) That it was atypical.
(c) That it was unnecessary.
(d) It was for poor people.
6. People who pass through Des Moines are only stopping to get _____, according to Bryson.
(a) A hotel room.
7. What does Bryson say he set out to Missouri with?
(a) Great expectations.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A light heart.
(d) No money.
8. The Herman Talmadge Memorial Bridge "_____" Bryson into South Carolina.
9. Why were Bryson's family vacations always so dingy?
(a) Because the midwest is dingy.
(b) Because they were trying to save money.
(c) Because it made the trip more exciting.
(d) Because no one cared either way.
10. When Bryson's car begins to skid, what noise does he make?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) A thunderstorm.
(c) A rollercoaster.
(d) Tarzan missing the vine.
11. Bryson thinks the people of Dullard are looking at him with "________eyes."
12. Where are the senior citizens visiting the "Little White House" from?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A Baptist church.
(d) A retirement home.
13. Why does Bryson rename the eerie town "Dullard"?
(a) To avoid confrontation from the people for his criticism.
(b) Because it is its real name.
(c) The town was founded by a man named "Dullard."
(d) He thought the actual name didn't reflect the town.
14. While in Columbus, what does Bryson realize about his journey?
(a) He can't ever go home again.
(b) He will never find the perfect town.
(c) He has more time than he needs.
(d) He doesn't care enough about America.
15. Bryson states that people who pass through Des Moines and stay for years are confused, but _____ in their decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bryson feels that Columbus has pieces of _______.
2. Why doesn't Bryson go to the Biltmore Estate?
3. As an adult, Bryson finds Mark Twain's boyhood home to be ______.
4. What awes Bryson about Savannah?
5. According to Bryson's generalization, who will people from Des Moines marry?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)