|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Fawcett's daughter Joan born?
2. In Chapter 18, where did Nina move the family after leaving Jamaica?
3. In Chapter 12, when did Nina visit Fawcett in South America?
4. In Chapter 12, when did Murray join a Canadian scientific expedition to the Arctic?
5. When did Fawcett write to the Society and say that he would not subject his wife to the perpetual anxiety of his risky journeys?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, how did Nina prepare herself to be able to go on an expedition with her husband?
2. What did Fawcett speculate happened to the Amazon populations that the conquistadors encountered?
3. How did Lynch escape from captivity when he was captured on his expedition to find what happened to Fawcett?
4. Why was Fawcett not able to launch an expedition in September 1914?
5. In Chapter 17, how did an encounter with the Yanomami unfold when Dr. Rice and his party encountered them?
6. How would Fawcett approach Indians?
7. Why did the rubber boom collapse in South America?
8. In Chapter 12, what did Fawcett want to forget and go home?
9. In Chapter 20, how did the men who served under Fawcett during the war feel about him?
10. In Chapter 13, what was James Lynch doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fawcett became obsessed with finding the city of Z, explorers became obsessed to find Fawcett, and even the author became obsessed to learn what happened to Fawcett. What is the basic motivation for the obsession that affects so many people in the book, and how does that motivate individuals to pursue their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Fawcett was obsessed with exploration. Was Fawcett most pleased when he found what he was looking for, or did he enjoy the pursuit more?
Essay Topic 3
Fawcett and others in the book believed in their own destiny. What did Fawcett believe about his personal destiny, and how did that influence the way that he lived his life?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)