|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how many Indian tribes did the Brazilian government estimate at the time of the writing of the book had never been contacted by outsiders?
2. In Chapter 1, how old was Fawcett?
3. How long of a period of time did Fawcett study at the Royal Geographical Society?
4. In Chapter 5, when did Grann visit the Royal Geographical Society?
5. In Chapter 6, how long had it been since Fawcett left England for Ceylon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Nina Paterson's first husband and how long were they married?
2. Where was Fawcett in 1888?
3. In Chapter 6, how were students taught to lead an expedition?
4. In Chapter 8, what mission did Sir George Taubman Goldie ask Fawcett to undertake?
5. In Chapter 9, where and when was Fawcett's signet ring found?
6. In Chapter 1, what book was said to be based on Fawcett's experiences?
7. What happened to Lynch and his party at the end of Chapter 2?
8. Why were explorers and mapmakers recruited by the British government to serve as spies?
9. In Chapter 10, what was Fawcett's assignment?
10. How was Fawcett taught to see everything around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fawcett believed there was a lost city, and archaeologists and anthropologists are looking for lost worlds today. How does the author present the theme that there are unseen worlds waiting to be discovered, and what does the author reveal about unseen worlds in the book?
Essay Topic 2
As Fawcett served in World War I, he became to believe that Europeans were the savages, not the Indians of South America. What did Fawcett observe during the war, and how did his observations lead him to believe that Europeans were savages and were not superior to Indians.
Essay Topic 3
Fawcett was obsessed with exploration. Was Fawcett most pleased when he found what he was looking for, or did he enjoy the pursuit more?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)