|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were Fawcett and Nina married?
2. How many people did Fawcett choose to go on his expedition to Z in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 8, what was the first frontier town that Fawcett and Chivers came to?
4. How deep is the Amazon River in some places?
5. How long of a period of time did Fawcett study at the Royal Geographical Society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Amazon river begin?
2. What happened to Lynch and his party at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Who was Nina Paterson's first husband and how long were they married?
4. What was the condition of Fawcett and his men on the expedition to explore the Rio Verde?
5. When was the Royal Geographical Society of London created and what was its purpose?
6. In Chapter 2, how did Fawcett send news of his expedition until he disappeared?
7. In Chapter 6, who was Edward Ayearst Reeves?
8. When and where was Fawcett's first assignment after he received his diploma from the Royal Geographical Society?
9. In Chapter 1, why was Fawcett well-known?
10. How was Fawcett taught to see everything around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fawcett could be at home with his family only a short time before he longed for the wilderness again. How was Fawcett attracted to the wilderness, and how did being in the wilderness satisfy his inner self?
Essay Topic 2
Fawcett’s wife Nina subjugated her desires and goals to support her husband. How did Nina subjugate her desires and goals to support her husband, and how did misogyny and discrimination cause Nina to have to give up her own dreams and plans?
Essay Topic 3
Fawcett became obsessed with finding the city of Z, explorers became obsessed to find Fawcett, and even the author became obsessed to learn what happened to Fawcett. What is the basic motivation for the obsession that affects so many people in the book, and how does that motivate individuals to pursue their goals?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)