|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Francisco de Orellan and his army of Spanish conquistadores go down the Amazon River?
2. How deep is the Amazon River in some places?
(a) 245 feet.
(b) 15 feet.
(c) 300 feet.
(d) 80 feet.
3. In Chapter 1, how old was Fawcett?
4. In 1900, where were classes held at the Royal Geographical Society?
(a) First floor.
(c) Third floor.
(d) Second floor.
5. In Chapter 8, what was black gold?
6. How many men died during Carvajal's expedition to find El Dorado?
7. In Chapter 10, although Fawcett and his men cut, chopped, pulled, and pushed through the jungle from morning until evening, how much did they advance daily?
(a) 1/3 mile.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 3/4 mile.
(d) 1/2 mile.
8. In Chapter 8, when Sir Roger Casement investigated mistreatment of Indians in the Amazon, how many Indian did he estimate had died at the hands of one rubber company alone?
(a) Some 30,000.
(b) About 28,000.
9. How long of a period of time did Fawcett study at the Royal Geographical Society?
(a) More than a year.
(b) 18 months.
(c) About 2 years.
(d) 36 months.
10. In Chapter 6, what was anthropology called?
(a) Science of savages.
(b) Science of the uncivilized.
(c) Native people studies.
(d) Science of the undomesticated.
11. In Chapter 8 since the excavation of the Panama canal began in 1881, how many laborers died from malaria and yellow fever?
(b) More than 20,000.
(d) About 5,000.
12. In Chapter 6, what did Lieutenant T. Dannreuther collect?
(a) Dried flowers and grasses.
(b) Rare butterflies and insects.
13. In Chapter 8, when did Fawcett and Chivers begin their journey to Bolivia to map borders?
(a) July 4, 1906.
(b) May 11, 1907.
(c) June 21, 1908.
(d) April 4, 1905.
14. In Chapter 6, how fast were automobiles first allowed to travel in London?
(a) 4 miles per hour.
(b) 5 miles per hour.
(c) 3 miles per hour.
(d) 2 miles per hour.
15. In Chapter 2, how many months did Fawcett send dispatches about his expedition?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 5 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 8 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, when did Francis Younghusband serve as president of the Royal Geographical Society?
2. In Chapter 8, at what altitude did Fawcett and Chivers begin to feel the heat of the jungle?
3. When Fawcett and Chivers left Riberalta September 25, 1906, how many desperadoes and native guides accompanied them?
4. How old was Grann in Chapter 3?
5. When was Fawcett born?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)