|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, although Fawcett and his men cut, chopped, pulled, and pushed through the jungle from morning until evening, how much did they advance daily?
(a) 1/2 mile.
(b) 1/3 mile.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 3/4 mile.
2. When did Speke claim that he discovered the source of the Nile?
3. When were Fawcett and Nina married?
4. How old was Raleigh Rimel when his father died?
5. When did the Royal Geographical Society award him with a gold medal for his contributions to mapping South America?
6. How old was Fawcett's son Jack when Fawcett went to Bolivia?
(b) Nearly 4.
(c) Almost 3.
7. In 1896, how many professors of anthropology were there in Great Britain?
8. In Chapter 8, when Sir Roger Casement investigated mistreatment of Indians in the Amazon, how many Indian did he estimate had died at the hands of one rubber company alone?
(a) Some 30,000.
(c) About 28,000.
9. How old was Fawcett's father when he died?
10. In Chapter 1, when did the London "Georgraphical Journal" write that Fawcett marked the end of an age?
11. Which of Sir Athur Conan Doyle's books was said to be based on Fawcett's experiences?
(a) The Valley of Fear.
(b) The Lost World.
(c) A Study in Scarlet.
(d) The Sign of Four.
12. In Chapter 8, what was black gold?
13. In Chapter 2, how many Indian tribes did the Brazilian government estimate at the time of the writing of the book had never been contacted by outsiders?
(c) More than 60.
(d) About 45.
14. In Chapter 8, what was the name of Fawcett's British handler?
15. What is the name of the fish in the Amazon that is one of the few creatures in the world that survives strictly on a diet of blood?
(d) Black caiman.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Francisco de Orellan and his army of Spanish conquistadores go down the Amazon River?
2. In 1864 when there were boundary disputes between Paraguay and its neighbors, how much of the Paraguayan population was killed?
3. In Chapter 5, when did Grann visit the Royal Geographical Society?
4. In Chapter 1, what size was the SS Vauban?
5. An expedition of how many men went to the area of Z and died?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)