|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall was Fawcett?
(a) 6 feet 3 inches.
(b) 5 feet 11 inches.
(c) Over 6 feet.
(d) About 6 feet.
2. When did B. F. Goodrich manufacture the first automobile tires in the United States?
3. When Grann talked with one of Fawcett's grandchildren, what were the dates of the diaries that she let Grann read?
4. When did Francisco de Orellan and his army of Spanish conquistadores go down the Amazon River?
5. In Chapter 8, when did Francis Younghusband serve as president of the Royal Geographical Society?
6. Which of Sir Athur Conan Doyle's books was said to be based on Fawcett's experiences?
(a) The Sign of Four.
(b) The Valley of Fear.
(c) A Study in Scarlet.
(d) The Lost World.
7. When did Bolivia and Brazil attempt to build a railroad through the jungle?
8. When did the Royal Geographical Society award him with a gold medal for his contributions to mapping South America?
9. How deep is the Amazon River in some places?
(a) 245 feet.
(b) 15 feet.
(c) 300 feet.
(d) 80 feet.
10. In Chapter 9, where did Grann find one of Fawcett's grandchildren?
11. What is the name of the fish in the Amazon that is one of the few creatures in the world that survives strictly on a diet of blood?
(a) Black caiman.
12. When did Venetian cartographer Fra Mauro create one of the most exhaustive maps of the world?
13. In 1896, what was the speed limit for automobiles raised to in London?
(a) 16 miles per hour.
(b) 15 miles per hour.
(c) 13 miles per hour.
(d) 14 miles per hour.
14. In Chapter 10, although Fawcett and his men cut, chopped, pulled, and pushed through the jungle from morning until evening, how much did they advance daily?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 3/4 mile.
(c) 1/2 mile.
(d) 1/3 mile.
15. In 1888, how many fox terriers did Fawcett have in his room?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what size was the SS Vauban?
2. In Chapter 1, when did the London "Georgraphical Journal" write that Fawcett marked the end of an age?
3. When were Fawcett and Nina married?
4. When did members of the nomadic Nukak-Maku tribe emerge from the Amazon in Colombia and announce that they were ready to join the modern world?
5. In Chapter 4, how old was Fawcett in 1888?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)