Part One - Chapters 1-5
• In Chapter 1, Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett was an internationally-known explorer of the Amazon.
• He was one of the last great Victorian explorers who would go into the unknown with little more than a machete and a compass.
• In 1925, Fawcett set off to find The Lost City of Z.
• The destination of the trip was so secret, even Fawcett’s wife did not know exactly where he was going.
• Although some did not believe there could be a lost city in the Amazon, the world watched as Fawcett embarked on his journey.
• Fawcett’s son Jack, who was 21, and Jack’s best friend Raleigh Rimmell were the only two companions Fawcett took with him.
• In Chapter 2, Grann describes how the Amazon begins high in the Andes mountains at 18,000 feet.
• There it is little more than a trickle of water.
• In 1996, a Brazilian banker named...
This section contains 3,305 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)