|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the narrator never really considered selling?
2. Why was Wertheimer a failure from the beginning?
3. How did the innkeeper's husband die?
4. What did the innkeeper praise Wertheimer for?
5. Why did Wertheimer commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Wertheimer's sister felt uncomfortable in Traich.
2. Describe what happened when the narrator and Wertheimer tried to play a concert together.
3. Describe Wertheimer's funeral.
4. Explain why Wertheimer killed himself in the place he did?
5. What was significant about the Steinway the narrator gave away?
6. Discuss Wertheimer's religious views.
7. How did Wertheimer desire to be like Glenn?
8. How did Wertheimer end his dying party?
9. How does Franz feel about Wertheimer and his death?
10. How are Traich and Desselbrunn compared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does solitude play an important role among all three friends? Specifically include examples that show each friend in a moment of solitude. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the role of revenge is a part of "The Loser." Who demonstrates acts of revenge and are they effective? Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role Salzburg has with New York City in the opinion of the three friends. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)