|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed the emotions of the Wertheimer family?
2. What did the narrator advise Wertheimer of after he quit playing the piano?
3. What did the narrator condemn before telling the innkeeper about Wertheimer's funeral?
4. What caused Wertheimer to commit suicide?
5. What has the narrator never really considered selling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Wertheimer family change?
2. Describe why the innkeeper became the innkeeper.
3. How did Wertheimer desire to be like Glenn?
4. What does the innkeeper mention in regards to Wertheimer's finances?
5. Describe the innkeeper's relationship with Wertheimer.
6. Discuss the power of condemnation.
7. Describe Wertheimer's funeral.
8. Discuss Wertheimer's religious views.
9. Explain why Wertheimer's sister felt uncomfortable in Traich.
10. According to the narrator, what is important about judging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depression that exists among the three friends in "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the narrator's opinion of Glenn with that of the narrator's opinion of Wertheimer. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of foreshadowing in "The Loser." Describe how is it a prominent role in the story development, as well as the characters' motivations. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)