|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Wertheimer to commit suicide?
2. What did Wertheimer refuse to buy for the innkeeper?
3. What did the innkeeper say about her trip to Hirschbach?
4. Where did Wertheimer's sister sneak to in secret?
5. How did the innkeeper's husband die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the narrator feel guilty about Wertheimer's death?
2. Discuss the power of condemnation.
3. How does the narrator feel about Desselbrunn?
4. Why does the narrator not fit in among people in the inn?
5. What does the narrator think about after Wertheimer's funeral?
6. How does Franz feel about Wertheimer and his death?
7. How did Wertheimer desire to be like Glenn?
8. How is the innkeeper a contradictory character?
9. What was significant about the Steinway the narrator gave away?
10. Describe why the innkeeper became the innkeeper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the role Salzburg has with New York City in the opinion of the three friends. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of despair and loss among the trio of friends. Explain in order from greatest suffering to least suffering. Who suffers and loses the most during their lifetime?Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the paradox of Wertheimer's motivation to take his own life because he wanted to keep his unhappiness. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)