|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator intend to write about when he returns?
2. Who did Wertheimer play better than?
3. What happened to the previous owner of the inn?
4. With what was Wertheimer smitten?
5. What is playing in the final scene of "The Loser"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about Desselbrunn?
2. Why did the Wertheimer family change?
3. How did Wertheimer feel about his unhappiness?
4. How are Traich and Desselbrunn compared?
5. What does the narrator think about after Wertheimer's funeral?
6. How did Wertheimer desire to be like Glenn?
7. What does the innkeeper mention in regards to Wertheimer's finances?
8. Describe the abuse Wertheimer's sister underwent from Wertheimer.
9. Explain why Wertheimer's sister felt uncomfortable in Traich.
10. Explain why Wertheimer killed himself in the place he did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Franz's opinion of Wertheimer with that of his sister's opinion. What makes Wertheimer be viewed in such contrasting ways? Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the narrator's opinion of Glenn with that of the narrator's opinion of Wertheimer. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and explain the irony of Wertheimer's death. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)