|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the innkeeper's husband die?
2. Why was Wertheimer unable to play the piano with others?
3. What did Wertheimer love in association to death?
4. What did the narrator decide not to sell?
5. Who led the narrator to his room after Wertheimer dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the narrator feels about his depression.
2. How did Wertheimer desire to be like Glenn?
3. What was significant of what Wertheimer did not leave behind?
4. Why did the narrator feel guilty about Wertheimer's death?
5. How did Wertheimer feel about his unhappiness?
6. Describe what happened when the narrator and Wertheimer tried to play a concert together.
7. Describe the abuse Wertheimer's sister underwent from Wertheimer.
8. How did Wertheimer end his dying party?
9. How are Traich and Desselbrunn compared?
10. Why did the Wertheimer family change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of "Goldberg Variations" and how it serves as an antagonist to Wertheimer and the narrator. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the identity of the true loser of "The Loser." Explain how each friend of the trio is a loser in his own way, then choose and explain who you think the true loser is. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of despair and loss among the trio of friends. Explain in order from greatest suffering to least suffering. Who suffers and loses the most during their lifetime?Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)