|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator move to?
2. What happened to Wertheimer when he left his house after his sister moved out?
3. What did Wertheimer's sister send the narrator after Wertheimer died?
4. Why did Wertheimer think his sister's husband married her?
5. What was Wertheimer's sole decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Wertheimer's suicide ironic?
2. What was ironic about Wertheimer's desire to write "The Loser"?
3. Describe how Wertheimer felt about traveling and his family.
4. How did Wertheimer behave in relation to the narrator in Section 7?
5. What marked Wertheimer's deterioration?
6. What did Wertheimer and the narrator resort to after they quit playing piano?
7. How did the narrator feel about Horowitz as a teacher?
8. Discuss the narrator's desire and motivation for studying the piano.
9. Describe the item that was left in the three friends apartment that they rented in Leopoldskron.
10. How did the writing change after Wertheimer's funeral, at the beginning of Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of foreshadowing in "The Loser." Describe how is it a prominent role in the story development, as well as the characters' motivations. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the time of action, as well as setting of the novel. How are the events that transpire written?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Glenn's confidence in his talent brings him success in becoming a piano virtuoso. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)