|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is Desselbrunn from where the narrator stayed when he visited Wertheimer?
2. Where did the narrator say he stays when he goes to his hometown?
3. What kind of ego did Glenn have?
4. Where did the narrator travel to on train as he observed the countryside?
5. What did Wertheimer predict about Glenn's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What showed the narrator's depression in Section 3?
2. How did the writing change after Wertheimer's funeral, at the beginning of Section 6?
3. Describe Wertheimer and his sister's relationship.
4. Discuss the role of Traich in connection to Wertheimer.
5. How did the narrator feel about Horowitz as a teacher?
6. What marked Wertheimer's deterioration?
7. Why were Glenn and Wertheimer compared to each other in Section 2?
8. Describe the way the three friend's perceived New York City.
9. How did Wertheimer view life by the end of Section 5, after they go to New York City?
10. How did Wertheimer react when his sister moved out of their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Franz's opinion of Wertheimer with that of his sister's opinion. What makes Wertheimer be viewed in such contrasting ways? Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the last scene of "The Loser" supports the entire theme and motifs of the novel. Give detailed examples of why Bernhard chose to end his novel the way he does. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of "Goldberg Variations" and how it serves as an antagonist to Wertheimer and the narrator. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)