|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the narrator and Wertheimer spend visiting Glenn in America?
2. Why did the narrator study music?
3. How long did Wertheimer keep his curtains closed after his sister left?
4. What did Glenn nickname Wertheimer?
5. Where did Wertheimer and his sister travel to that dissuaded them from future travels together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about Wertheimer's desire to write "The Loser"?
2. Describe Wertheimer and his sister's relationship.
3. How did Wertheimer attempt to save himself?
4. How did Wertheimer react when his sister moved out of their house?
5. What showed the narrator's depression in Section 3?
6. What did Glenn desire in people?
7. How did the writing change after Wertheimer's funeral, at the beginning of Section 6?
8. Describe what is significant about the Mozarteum.
9. Describe the emphasis the narrator places on the way Glenn died.
10. Describe how Wertheimer felt about traveling and his family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does solitude play an important role among all three friends? Specifically include examples that show each friend in a moment of solitude. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of foreshadowing in "The Loser." Describe how is it a prominent role in the story development, as well as the characters' motivations. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the time of action, as well as setting of the novel. How are the events that transpire written?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)