|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wertheimer's apartment stuffed with?
2. What did Glenn refuse from Wertheimer?
3. Where did the narrator say he stays when he goes to his hometown?
4. What did Glenn and Wertheimer not tolerate?
5. What did Glenn play at the Salzburg Festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the narrator feels about suicide.
2. Describe the significance of the term "piano radicalism."
3. How did the narrator and Wertheimer ruin each other?
4. How did Wertheimer and his sister view their inheritance?
5. Describe the way the three friend's perceived New York City.
6. Describe what the narrator said people knew and thought about Glenn.
7. Describe Wertheimer and his sister's relationship.
8. Describe how Glenn became "Glenn Gould."
9. How did the narrator and the newspapers perceive Glenn Gould?
10. How did the writing change after Wertheimer's funeral, at the beginning of Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depression that exists among the three friends in "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
How does solitude play an important role among all three friends? Specifically include examples that show each friend in a moment of solitude. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the last scene of "The Loser" supports the entire theme and motifs of the novel. Give detailed examples of why Bernhard chose to end his novel the way he does. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)