|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Glenn die?
2. How long did Wertheimer keep his curtains closed after his sister left?
3. What does the narrator consider a misfortune?
4. How old was Glenn when he died?
5. According to Wertheimer's attempts to reach out to people, what do complicated people not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Wertheimer felt about traveling and his family.
2. Why were Glenn and Wertheimer compared to each other in Section 2?
3. Describe how the narrator feels about suicide.
4. How was Wertheimer's suicide ironic?
5. Discuss the role of Traich in connection to Wertheimer.
6. Describe what is significant about the Mozarteum.
7. How did the narrator and Wertheimer ruin each other?
8. How did the narrator and the newspapers perceive Glenn Gould?
9. What marked Wertheimer's deterioration?
10. What did Glenn desire in people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the identity of the true loser of "The Loser." Explain how each friend of the trio is a loser in his own way, then choose and explain who you think the true loser is. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the sole decision Wertheimer made in his life and how this decision effects "The Loser." Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of foreshadowing in "The Loser." Describe how is it a prominent role in the story development, as well as the characters' motivations. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)