|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator detest?
2. Who opposed the idea of the narrator and Wertheimer going to America to visit Glenn?
3. How old was Wertheimer when he commited suicide?
4. Who did the trio of friends study under?
5. What is a prominent character trait of the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the narrator said people knew and thought about Glenn.
2. Describe the emphasis the narrator places on the way Glenn died.
3. Describe Wertheimer and his sister's relationship.
4. Describe the way the three friend's perceived New York City.
5. What was ironic about Wertheimer's desire to write "The Loser"?
6. Why were Glenn and Wertheimer compared to each other in Section 2?
7. Describe how Wertheimer felt about traveling and his family.
8. How did Wertheimer attempt to save himself?
9. Why were the "Goldberg Variations" significant to the narrator and Wertheimer?
10. Describe the item that was left in the three friends apartment that they rented in Leopoldskron.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the identity of the true loser of "The Loser." Explain how each friend of the trio is a loser in his own way, then choose and explain who you think the true loser is. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of "Goldberg Variations" and how it serves as an antagonist to Wertheimer and the narrator. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and explain the irony of Wertheimer's death. Support your statements with examples and quotes from "The Loser."
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)