|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wertheimer order and get delivered in the same day?
(a) A new grandfather clock.
(b) A violin.
(c) A piano.
(d) A porch swing.
2. Why did Wertheimer hang himself so close to his sister's house?
(a) To hurt her.
(b) To make a statement.
(c) To deflect the blame from Glenn.
(d) To make her smile.
3. How does Wertheimer's sister feel about Traich?
(a) She was never comfortable there.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She hates it.
(d) She wants to sell it.
4. Who did the innkeeper write a letter to?
(d) Wertheimer's sister.
5. What did Wertheimer think his sister would do to escape?
(a) Get married.
(b) Become Baptist.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Convert to Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator feel guilt towards Wertheimer?
2. How long were the innkeeper and her husband married?
3. What does the narrator intend to write about when he returns?
4. What did Wertheimer promise to leave to the innkeeper if he died first?
5. According to the narrator, what do people condemn people with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about Desselbrunn?
2. Compare and contrast the isolation of Wertheimer and Glenn.
3. How does Franz feel about Wertheimer and his death?
4. Why does the narrator not fit in among people in the inn?
5. What does the narrator think about after Wertheimer's funeral?
6. According to the narrator, what is important about judging?
7. Discuss the power of condemnation.
8. What was significant of what Wertheimer did not leave behind?
9. Discuss Wertheimer's religious views.
10. How is the innkeeper a contradictory character?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)