|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the trio of friends live when they studied together?
(a) A dorm.
(d) An inn.
2. What did people assume about Glenn?
(a) He was weak.
(b) He was talentless.
(c) He was mean.
(d) He was strong.
3. Where did Wertheimer refuse to go without the narrator?
(a) His sister's funeral.
(b) Glenn's funeral.
(c) The inn.
(d) His sister's wedding.
4. Where did the trio of friends study?
(b) The Mozarteum.
(d) Bach's home.
5. Where did the narrator escape from during the years he did not see Wertheimer or Glenn?
(a) Frankfurt and Germany.
(b) Florence and Italy.
(c) Vienna and Austria.
(d) Madrid and Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the narrator and Wertheimer spend visiting Glenn in America?
2. What did Glenn refuse from Wertheimer?
3. When did Wertheimer give up playing the piano?
4. Who had a sexual relationship with the innkeeper?
5. Why did the narrator study music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feelings the narrator and Glenn both had towards the public.
2. Describe what is significant about the Mozarteum.
3. Discuss the narrator's desire and motivation for studying the piano.
4. How did the writing change after Wertheimer's funeral, at the beginning of Section 6?
5. Describe how Glenn became "Glenn Gould."
6. Discuss the role of Traich in connection to Wertheimer.
7. Why were the "Goldberg Variations" significant to the narrator and Wertheimer?
8. Why were Glenn and Wertheimer compared to each other in Section 2?
9. How did Wertheimer view life by the end of Section 5, after they go to New York City?
10. Describe how Wertheimer felt about traveling and his family.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)