|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Wertheimer want to be?
(a) The narrator.
(b) His sister's husband.
(d) His sister.
2. Where did Wertheimer's sister sneak to in secret?
(a) Evening mass.
(b) Her husband's house.
(d) To the bar.
3. What did the innkeeper say about her trip to Hirschbach?
(a) It was expensive.
(b) It was exhausting.
(c) It was pointless.
(d) It was fun.
4. Where does the narrator take his hot tea?
(a) The lower portion of the inn.
(c) Outside on the porch.
(d) To his room.
5. How did Wertheimer treat his sister?
(a) With hate.
(c) With control.
(d) With love.
6. What does the narrator believe about the former innkeeper?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is innocent.
(c) He is mean.
(d) He is guilty.
7. What did the narrator condemn before telling the innkeeper about Wertheimer's funeral?
(a) The church.
(c) The government and socialists.
8. What did the trio of friends never worry about?
(a) Buying a car.
(b) Performing for audiences.
(c) Making money.
(d) Paying rent.
9. What did Wertheimer think his sister would do to escape?
(a) Become Baptist.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Convert to Catholicism.
(d) Get married.
10. Who is Franz Kohlroser?
(a) The lodge's woodsman.
(b) Wertheimer's uncle.
(c) Wertheimer's brother.
(d) The lodge's butler.
11. Who did improve his talents through isolation?
(c) The narrator.
12. What has the narrator never really considered selling?
(a) His watch.
(b) His music sheets.
(c) His house in Desselbrunn.
(d) His Steinway.
13. Where does the narrator escape to upon leaving the inn.
14. What did the narrator learn about Wertheimer's hunting lodge in Traich?
(a) A party was held there a week ago.
(b) No one has been there since his suicide.
(c) Homeless people live there.
(d) A party is there that night.
15. What happened to the previous owner of the inn?
(a) He was killed.
(b) He was put in jail.
(c) He died of old age.
(d) He fled town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franz worry about?
2. What does the narrator hope his writings will do for him?
3. Why does Wertheimer's sister feel the way she does about the lodge in Traich?
4. How long did Wertheimer's funeral last?
5. With what was Wertheimer smitten?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)