|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who's call did the trio of friends answer?
(b) The Innkeeper's.
(c) Wertheimer's sister.
2. Who did Wertheimer want to be?
(b) His sister's husband.
(c) His sister.
(d) The narrator.
3. What did the narrator decide not to sell?
(a) His apartments in Vienna and Dusselbrunn.
(b) His copy of "Goldberg Variations."
(c) His Steinway.
(d) His watch.
4. Why does Wertheimer's sister feel the way she does about the lodge in Traich?
(a) She was happiest there.
(b) She was abandoned there.
(c) She was raped there.
(d) Wertheimer tormented her there.
5. How long did Wertheimer's funeral last?
(a) The entire afternoon.
(b) About 30 minutes.
(c) The entire morning.
(d) About 20 minutes.
6. What did the narrator advise Wertheimer of after he quit playing the piano?
(a) To never play again.
(b) To compete with Glenn.
(c) To start playing again.
(d) To perform with Glenn.
7. What did the former innkeeper's wife die from?
(a) From a gun shot.
(b) From grief.
(c) From cancer.
(d) From heartbreak.
8. What caused Wertheimer to commit suicide?
(a) Being second best to Glenn.
(b) Being ignored by Glenn.
(c) Glenn's death and his sister's abandonment.
(d) Being ignored by the narrator.
9. What changed the emotions of the Wertheimer family?
(a) They lost all their money.
(b) They lost their land.
(c) Their parents died.
(d) A Nazi administration stayed at the lodge.
10. What did the narrator condemn before telling the innkeeper about Wertheimer's funeral?
(a) The government and socialists.
(d) The church.
11. Where did Wertheimer and the narrator first talk?
(a) The hallway of the Mozarteum.
(b) Their apartment.
(c) The steps of the church.
(d) By the river.
12. Who did the innkeeper travel with to Hirschbach?
(a) Her dad.
(b) Her mom.
(c) Her son.
(d) No one.
13. How does Wertheimer's sister feel about Traich?
(a) She hates it.
(b) She was never comfortable there.
(c) She wants to sell it.
(d) She loves it.
14. What does Franz worry about?
(a) He will be out of a job.
(b) How things will change at the lodge.
(c) Being alone.
(d) Wertheimer's final state of being.
15. What did the trio of friends never worry about?
(a) Paying rent.
(b) Making money.
(c) Performing for audiences.
(d) Buying a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator intend to write about when he returns?
2. How did the innkeeper's husband die?
3. What reason does the narrator repeatedly give for Wertheimer's suicide?
4. What state is Wertheimer's lodge in when the narrator gets there?
5. What does the narrator believe about the former innkeeper?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)