|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the innkeeper's husband die?
(a) In a fire.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In a paper mill accident.
(d) He was shot.
2. What type of religious stance did Wertheimer have?
(a) He was Catholic.
(b) He was Jewish.
(c) He was Baptist.
(d) He was agnostic.
3. Who did Wertheimer want to be?
(a) His sister's husband.
(b) The narrator.
(d) His sister.
4. What is playing in the final scene of "The Loser"?
(a) An opera.
(b) Ray Charles.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) "Goldberg Variations."
5. What did the narrator learn about the last few weeks of Wertheimer's life?
(a) He wrote music.
(b) He sang and played at the inn.
(c) He recorded his version of "Goldberg Variations."
(d) He entertained peculiar guests.
6. What was Wertheimer's brother-in-law interested in?
(a) Moving into Wertheimer's lodge.
(b) The money Wertheimer left behind.
(c) Seeing Wertheimer play.
(d) Seeing Glenn play.
7. Who was not ruined by Glenn?
(b) The narrator.
(c) Lesser pianists.
(d) His parents.
8. Who's call did the trio of friends answer?
(a) Wertheimer's sister.
(d) The Innkeeper's.
9. Who did the innkeeper take over the inn from?
(a) Her dad.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her late husband.
(d) Her aunt.
10. Why was Wertheimer a failure from the beginning?
(a) He is wealthy.
(b) His pride.
(c) He is poor.
(d) He is talentless.
11. How long did Wertheimer's funeral last?
(a) The entire afternoon.
(b) The entire morning.
(c) About 20 minutes.
(d) About 30 minutes.
12. What did Wertheimer force his sister to do for him in the middle of the night?
(a) Tuck him in.
(b) Cook for him.
(c) Play the piano.
(d) Sing to him.
13. Who did Wertheimer play better than?
(a) The narrator.
(d) Students at the Mozarteum, except Glenn.
14. What did Wertheimer love in association to death?
(b) Funeral hymns.
(d) The prelude of a funeral service.
15. What happened to the previous owner of the inn?
(a) He fled town.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He was put in jail.
(d) He was killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the trio of friends never worry about?
2. According to the narrator, what is the only escape from oneself?
3. What reason does the narrator repeatedly give for Wertheimer's suicide?
4. What does the narrator hope his writings will do for him?
5. What does the narrator compare Desselbrunn to?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)