|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe about the former innkeeper?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is guilty.
(c) He is mean.
(d) He is innocent.
2. According to the narrator, what is the only escape from oneself?
3. What did Wertheimer refuse to buy for the innkeeper?
(a) A microwave.
(b) A refridgerator.
(c) A necklace.
4. What does the narrator notice Wertheimer did not leave behind?
(a) A mess.
(b) A footstep.
(d) A note.
5. What did Wertheimer think his sister would do to escape?
(a) Convert to Catholicism.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Become Baptist.
(d) Get married.
6. Where did Wertheimer and the narrator first talk?
(a) By the river.
(b) The steps of the church.
(c) Their apartment.
(d) The hallway of the Mozarteum.
7. What did the innkeeper say about Wertheimer's suicide?
(a) She hates how he died.
(b) He was smart for committing it.
(c) She wishes she did it.
(d) He was a fool for committing it.
8. Who did the innkeeper travel with to Hirschbach?
(a) No one.
(b) Her mom.
(c) Her dad.
(d) Her son.
9. According to the narrator, what do people condemn people with?
10. Why did Wertheimer hang himself so close to his sister's house?
(a) To make her smile.
(b) To hurt her.
(c) To make a statement.
(d) To deflect the blame from Glenn.
11. What does the narrator intend to write about when he returns?
(a) About Wertheimer.
(b) About being a pianist.
(c) About Glenn Gould.
(d) About himself.
12. Why did Wertheimer commit suicide?
(a) To avoid losing his unhappiness.
(b) To avoid the narrator.
(c) To avoid Glenn.
(d) To hurt his sister.
13. Why did Wertheimer refuse to perform?
(a) He had stage fright.
(b) He did not want to be inferior to Glenn.
(c) He did not want to be inferior to Horowitz.
(d) He did not want to be inferior to the narrator.
14. How long did Wertheimer entertain his guests?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) One weekend.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 week.
15. What did the narrator advise Wertheimer of after he quit playing the piano?
(a) To start playing again.
(b) To never play again.
(c) To perform with Glenn.
(d) To compete with Glenn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Wertheimer play better than?
2. Who's call did the trio of friends answer?
3. Where does the narrator plan to return to write after Wertheimer's death?
4. Why was Wertheimer a failure from the beginning?
5. What does the narrator compare Desselbrunn to?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)