|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Wertheimer hang himself so close to his sister's house?
(a) To make her smile.
(b) To make a statement.
(c) To hurt her.
(d) To deflect the blame from Glenn.
2. What state is Wertheimer's lodge in when the narrator gets there?
(a) It is dilapidated.
(b) It is unchanged and unlocked.
(c) It is spotless.
(d) It is a mess.
3. What does the narrator examine as he waits for his hot tea?
(a) The innkeeper's body.
(b) The dirt on the inn's floor.
(c) A cut on his finger.
(d) An infection on his temple.
4. Why does the narrator feel guilt towards Wertheimer?
(a) They fought the last time he saw him.
(b) He never called to see how he was.
(c) He never responded to his letters.
(d) He never wished him a happy birthday.
5. Who did Wertheimer play better than?
(a) The narrator.
(c) Students at the Mozarteum, except Glenn.
6. How long did Wertheimer lay in bed after he entertained his guests?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 4 nights.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 1 day.
7. How does Wertheimer's sister feel about Traich?
(a) She hates it.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She wants to sell it.
(d) She was never comfortable there.
8. Who led the narrator to his room after Wertheimer dies?
(a) The narrator's sister.
(b) The vulgar innkeeper.
(d) Wertheimer's sister.
9. Where did Wertheimer's sister sneak to in secret?
(a) To the bar.
(b) Evening mass.
(c) Her husband's house.
10. What did Wertheimer demand of his guests at the feast he prepared?
(a) That they leave the next day.
(b) To sing a song.
(c) That they stay another week.
(d) For everyone to play the piano.
11. What does the narrator intend to write about when he returns?
(a) About being a pianist.
(b) About himself.
(c) About Glenn Gould.
(d) About Wertheimer.
12. Why did Wertheimer refuse to perform?
(a) He did not want to be inferior to Glenn.
(b) He did not want to be inferior to Horowitz.
(c) He did not want to be inferior to the narrator.
(d) He had stage fright.
13. What did the narrator decide not to sell?
(a) His apartments in Vienna and Dusselbrunn.
(b) His copy of "Goldberg Variations."
(c) His Steinway.
(d) His watch.
14. What does the narrator compare Desselbrunn to?
15. What did the trio of friends never worry about?
(a) Making money.
(b) Buying a car.
(c) Performing for audiences.
(d) Paying rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the narrator never really considered selling?
2. What happened to the previous owner of the inn?
3. What did the innkeeper praise Wertheimer for?
4. Whose misery does the narrator see at the inn?
5. What did Wertheimer order and get delivered in the same day?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)