Section 1: p. 3-16
• Section 1: p. 3-16
• The Loser is a novel about three young men who become friends when studying piano.
• Most of the action of the novel takes place at an inn and the rest are flashbacks set mostly in Salzburg, Austria.
• Glenn Gould is the genius piano virtuoso of the three friends, while the narrator and Wertheimer shadow his talent.
• The narrator feels that Glenn's expertise ruins his and Wertheimer's dreams of becoming piano virtuosos.
• The story is about a tormented piano player who aspires and fails in becoming the best pianist.
• Glenn dies at age 51 of natural causes and Wertheimer is distraught by this.
• The three friends lived in a town called Leopoldskron when they studied at the Mozarteum in Salzburg.
• Glenn leaves and goes to Canada and returns to Salzburg to play "Goldberg Variations" at the Salzburg Festival.
• The narrator fears he will never...
This section contains 1,734 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)