|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number cow presented a problem in Istanbul?
2. What caused the first ailments of Walt Barnett's animal?
3. What did Biggins want iodine for?
4. What did Herriot credit his seaworthiness to?
5. What was Mrs. Livingston's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Herriot not able to make a good phone call while in Istanbul?
2. What happened the first time Mr. Biggins called on Herriot for help?
3. What did Herriot say Jack Scott did for all of his animals?
4. How did Herriot feel about the trend of removing bull horns?
5. What funny habit did Brandy have?
6. How did Jimmy perform at the piano recital described in the book?
7. What did Nielsen do for Herriot during the large storms on the way back to England?
8. How did Herriot's friend feel about Herriot's job at the ending of his day de-horning bulls?
9. Why were the men on the ship so nice to Herriot on the day they landed in Poland?
10. Who did Herriot say felt the most stress at recitals and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Herriot in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What made Herriot's trip to Istanbul so stressful, and how did he deal with each of those stressful elements?
Essay Topic 3
What kinds of things did Herriot do during his voyage to Russia that built strong friendships with the people on board the ship with him?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)